Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 03:30 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Our neighborhood is loaded with Crepe Myrtles - we have one in our front yard. Several of them were afflicted with an aphid infestation last year. Although mine has plenty of leaves, some of the leaves do not appear healthy and it has no flower blooms. My neighbor is a landscape architect and he sprayed it for us, he said it needs to sprayed again in a week. Not certain what type he used. He also recommended Miracle Gro Fertilizer spikes for trees. I'm hoping mine perks up!
Update on my crepe myrtle - it appears very healthy again. Loads of new foliage and it now blooming. It is blooming later than last year but I'm convinced the Miracle Gro spikes (for trees and flowering shrubs) did the trick!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 08:46 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
this is actually when they should be blooming.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:43 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,643,442 times
I wanted to get a few crepe myrtles but the people at a couple of nurseries said that all I would end up with is problems with Japanese beetles. They weren't trying to get me to buy something more expensive as we ended up getting something cheaper. What I would like to know is if anyone has had any problems with the beetles? We have so many of the trees in our area and I can't believe they all have problems.

Thanks.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:49 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
I wanted to get a few crepe myrtles but the people at a couple of nurseries said that all I would end up with is problems with Japanese beetles. They weren't trying to get me to buy something more expensive as we ended up getting something cheaper. What I would like to know is if anyone has had any problems with the beetles? We have so many of the trees in our area and I can't believe they all have problems.

Thanks.
You can dust them with Sevin for Japanese Beetles. I sure wouldn't let Japanese Beetles stop me from having a Crape Myrtle.

I have two Crape Myrtles with no blooms this year, but they have never budded, yet.
The Japanese Beetles were not a factor.
The compensating factor is that my Natchez Crape Myrtle has put on two feet of new growth.
That is great after a couple of bad years since the 2007 Easter freeze that killed the last foot of most limbs.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:34 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,789,849 times
We bought a Crape Myrtle in June and yeah, we got a ton of Japanese beetles.... we dusted it with Sevin as Mike said, and that solved the problem. Don't buy those Japanese beetle bag/traps though, they just end up attracting more than you had to start with. And the beetles are only out for a month or so anyway.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:02 AM

46 posts, read 307,902 times
Mine went in in May.
Now about 4 ft high, small saplings I bought online.
Beetles hit em in June so I sprayed with Spectracide.
Aphids just appeared last week under all the leaves.
I spray again after every rain.
Seems like getting them started is the hard part.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You can dust them with Sevin for Japanese Beetles. I sure wouldn't let Japanese Beetles stop me from having a Crape Myrtle.

I have two Crape Myrtles with no blooms this year, but they have never budded, yet.
The Japanese Beetles were not a factor.
The compensating factor is that my Natchez Crape Myrtle has put on two feet of new growth.
That is great after a couple of bad years since the 2007 Easter freeze that killed the last foot of most limbs.
Mike, any problems with the Natchez Crape Myrtle? Other than the frost issue I mean.
And thanks everyone for your responses. It's just over where I am in Burlington, every shopping center and so, so many home have the trees and they are all beautiful. So I thought if there was a lot of problems with the beetles it would show up on the trees. I guess they don't have any problems or they are all dusted. I think I am still going to look into getting one.

Thanks again!

Old 07-20-2009, 01:10 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
Mike, any problems with the Natchez Crape Myrtle? Other than the frost issue I mean.
And thanks everyone for your responses. It's just over where I am in Burlington, every shopping center and so, so many home have the trees and they are all beautiful. So I thought if there was a lot of problems with the beetles it would show up on the trees. I guess they don't have any problems or they are all dusted. I think I am still going to look into getting one.

Thanks again!
No issues with the Natchez Crape Myrtle at all, in terms of health or vigor. I wish I had more blooms, but all in good time.

I selected it after perusing the Southern Living Gardening Book, and reading up on all the varieties of Crapes. They say it is the longest blooming, fastest growing, and one of the largest Crape Myrtles.
I put it in a spot where I wanted a small shade tree, and the growth spurt this year encourages me to think I did all right. If it gets to 25-30 feet in the next 10 years, it will be absolutely perfect.

It seems happier when I don't fertilize the lawn nearby. Maybe it doesn't like pre-emergent on the roots, or something. I haven't fertilized for a couple of years, and it seems fine with that. Its roots were turning up into the mulch, and that seemed bad. Next fertilization, whenever that is, will be subsurface, drilled deeper to pull the roots down.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:06 PM

Thanks! I will look into that type of tree.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:38 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
What will pull the roots down is deeper watering and only about once a week during the summer once it is established. We are coming up on the best time to plant anything---fall. Most folks think spring is the best cause we aLL have been inside and are so grateful for spring weather. Then we rush out to buy stuff to plant. But then everything spends the summer in stress and either over or under watered. Plant in fall, get the plant's roots established without having the stress of heat and it will get thru the winter just fine only to reward you with a glorious spring or summer blooming, depending on it's schedule. So make your budget and your plans and get ready for a fun fall of planting for great rewards for the following spring and summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary