Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 07:27 AM

97 posts, read 385,106 times

Advertisements

We replaced the poly pips in our home with CPVC a little over a month ago. Everything was fine until a few weeks ago when we started to notice a mildew smell to the cold water. Has anyone heard of CPVC pips causing mildew? or does something happen to Raleigh city water when the temps and humidity increase in the summer? We moved here last year from California that's why I ask about temp/humidity causing a change to water smell. Anything else that could be causing this? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 07:55 AM

43,313 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish33 View Post
We replaced the poly pips in our home with CPVC a little over a month ago. Everything was fine until a few weeks ago when we started to notice a mildew smell to the cold water. Has anyone heard of CPVC pips causing mildew? or does something happen to Raleigh city water when the temps and humidity increase in the summer? We moved here last year from California that's why I ask about temp/humidity causing a change to water smell. Anything else that could be causing this? Thanks
I would run the water bill up, and run all faucets wide open a few times, for several minutes.
Sometimes new pipes just have a "new" smell to them.

And they may have noted a change in the water supply and adjusted chemicals.
Really, I don't see CPVC or temps or humidity causing mildew in your water.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:55 AM

thanks for the reply! we have tried running several faucets for 5-10 minutes without luck. I guess I'll try it again but run them longer. This is driving me crazy, changing the pipes was suppose to prevent a problem dang it!

Old 07-01-2009, 09:14 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times
Call the Raleigh water department and ask them what it might be. Sometimes there are variations in the chemicals used that can cause smells. They might be able to explain it so you don't have to keep testing/wondering.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:18 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,744,539 times
Oh, that happened to me once. I called the city and they explained that sometimes the lines running to homes need to be flushed. They came out and flushed the street's lines at the fire hydrant. It worked like magic.

They did take a sample of the water beforehand and found it had that icky stuff that builds up over time, and now no more problems. You don't have to be home, and they'll leave a report at your door of what they found and what they did to fix it.

I had noticed that mildew smell in my washing machine! Can't have that, now, can we.
best,
toodie

Old 07-02-2009, 06:57 AM

I called the city and they came out and flushed the lines. The smell is definitely not as bad, i'll give it a couple of days though to see for sure. Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't even think to call the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary