Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 07:23 AM

2 posts, read 7,466 times

Advertisements

Last night I was driving on I-40 past RDU going toward downtown. I was in the left lane minding my own business when a car came up behind me, passed me on the right and honked at me, then pulled in front of me in the left lane and slowed down. He kept driving slowly in front of me until I was forced to move to the right to pass him, but then he sped away! I did nothing to provoke him. Do drivers here just commit random acts or road rage or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 07:26 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,858 times
The left lane should be used for passing only. If you're not passing someone, you should move over a lane. This is what the driver was trying to tell you.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:27 AM

72 posts, read 256,859 times
Sounds to me like you should have felt flattered. He was imitating you.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:28 AM

2 posts, read 7,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter'sDad View Post
Sounds to me like you should have felt flattered. He was imitating you.
Come again???????????

Old 07-17-2009, 07:31 AM

72 posts, read 256,859 times
Imagine an inconsiderate driver, driving in the left lane yet making no effort to pass, driving slower than other traffic around him, forcing them to pass him on the right. This description matches both of you.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:33 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuker View Post
Last night I was driving on I-40 past RDU going toward downtown. I was in the left lane minding my own business when a car came up behind me, passed me on the right and honked at me, then pulled in front of me in the left lane and slowed down. He kept driving slowly in front of me until I was forced to move to the right to pass him, but then he sped away! I did nothing to provoke him. Do drivers here just commit random acts or road rage or what?
Be thankful that's all you got. There are some places where that would have resulted in you getting pulled over by the highway patrol and a ticket issued.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:41 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,562,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
The left lane should be used for passing only. If you're not passing someone, you should move over a lane. This is what the driver was trying to tell you.
Regardless of that fact, under no circumstance should someone do what the OP said this driver did. Just because someone is going slow in the fast lane, does not give other drivers the right to drive recklessly to "prove their point".

I had something similar happen to me yesterday, when out of no where a driver in a jacked-up ford f-150 pulls over 4 lanes and gets on my ass. I was already passing cars and doing 70 in a 60 (I know I was speeding). The driver should have followed me at a safe distance until I could get over, instead he proceeded to drive up my butt until I could safely get out of his way. He speeds past me and continues to do the same thing to the driver which was right in front of me to begin with.

Passing is one thing, but driving recklessly and 30mph over the speed limit is just stupid.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:41 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,150,198 times
Agree with the other posters. (Although I'd like to think people are bigger than doing what the other guy did, and endangering others, but other posters are correct that by lolligagging in the left lane on an interstate, you were part of the problem)

But the other thing, to answer your question in general, is that very few people are actually "from" here. So we have drivers from all over. The result is that there is no predominate style of driving. New Yorkers are different from Chicago Drivers, are differnt from LA Drivers, are different from people who grew up in Rural NC and moved to the city, and etc.....

You have to pay attention here, and make no assumptions about anyone, because you really don't know where they are from.

For the most part, people are all pretty cool, and get along well. I try to be considerate and pass quickly when I need to, get out of the way if someone is faster than me, and give good signals so everyone knows what I'm going to do, and I get very few problems.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:45 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
But the other thing, to answer your question in general, is that very few people are actually "from" here. So we have drivers from all over. The result is that there is no predominate style of driving. New Yorkers are different from Chicago Drivers, are differnt from LA Drivers, are different from people who grew up in Rural NC and moved to the city, and etc.....
Good point. I think one thing that tends to flare these situations here is the diversity of driving styles that reflect the diversity of people here. There are some from places where everyone drives fast, and there are some from where everyone drives slow, and there appear to even be some from wherever it is that they drive 40 miles down the freeway with their turn signals on.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:46 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,706,114 times
You shouldn't be cruising in the left lane. If you didn't see the faster car coming upon you and didn't get over for it, then you weren't paying attention to traffic either. You were basically asleep at the wheel and hindering faster traffic.

The faster car had to pass on the right to get around you since you didn't move over, and if it slowed down, it was probably trying to get your attention/get you out of the fast lane, which you eventually did.

Driving slow in the fast lane is just as reckless as brake checking like the other car did - another case of bad driving begetting bad driving. It wasn't a random act, it was in response to your bad driving habit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary