Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2007, 09:55 AM

2 posts, read 9,153 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are currently exploring the idea of relocating to the Triangle from Chicago. We have both been raised in the Chicago area and are wondering how others from here feel it compares? We are both in our low-30's and have a son who is 1 1/2. We love the outdoors as well as socializing. I'd love any info on areas that would be best for us - we're looking for a home in the 250-300k range. We don't mind suburbia as long as there are restaurants, shops, and bars close by. Good schools are important to us. Also, we want a home with a nice yard and friendly neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 10:08 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestgal14 View Post
My husband and I are currently exploring the idea of relocating to the Triangle from Chicago. We have both been raised in the Chicago area and are wondering how others from here feel it compares? We are both in our low-30's and have a son who is 1 1/2. We love the outdoors as well as socializing. I'd love any info on areas that would be best for us - we're looking for a home in the 250-300k range. We don't mind suburbia as long as there are restaurants, shops, and bars close by. Good schools are important to us. Also, we want a home with a nice yard and friendly neighbors.
I think you will find many options for you in the Triangle area. To help narrow things down, it helps to know where you plan to work, how much of a commute is acceptable, and what you consider a "nice yard" ( .10 acres, .25 acres, or .50 + acres). Also, there are many master planned communities here with smaller lots, but common areas like pocket parks, club houses, and pools which you may want to consider.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 9,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I think you will find many options for you in the Triangle area. To help narrow things down, it helps to know where you plan to work, how much of a commute is acceptable, and what you consider a "nice yard" ( .10 acres, .25 acres, or .50 + acres). Also, there are many master planned communities here with smaller lots, but common areas like pocket parks, club houses, and pools which you may want to consider.

Thanks for the info. We want at least a 1/4 acre lot. I like the idea of the common areas but don't want to be able to look directly into our neighbors windows from our own.

What do you see as the best things about living in Raleigh?

Old 04-24-2007, 11:23 AM

374 posts, read 1,598,829 times
I am from chicago and we just contracted to buy a house in Wake Forest and will be relocating in June. We have 2 little boys and are really happy to be moving into the wake county school system and we found a house in Heritage that has great friendly neighbors and at least .25 acre lots. You'll get a lot more for your $$ down there. PM me with any specific questions. and good luck.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:03 PM

405 posts, read 1,770,675 times
I'm a mid-30s Chicagoan living in Durham--been here 3 years now. I also have a 22-month-old son. I plan to move before he's school-age (work-related), and my housing budget was significantly less than yours, but otherwise, I can attest that all of the other items on your wishlist are totally obtainable here.

Not sure where you are living in Chicago... before moving here, I lived right smack downtown in the NE corner of the loop. I've also lived near UIC Medical Center and in west Lakeview. Now that I have a toddler, I can't IMAGINE having children in the city. Perhaps in Lakeview, but certainly not the other places I lived. I love that I have a car now that I can park right outside my house (for free!) and drive right up to the front door of my pediatrician's office (also for free!) in less than 10 minutes with zero traffic hassle or time spent searching for a space. I love that there are several parks and play areas within walking distance of my home; and for nearly half of my monthly rent in Chicago, I have a 3 BR 2.5 bath house on over 1/3 of an acre that my kid can run around in 'til his heart's content.

Yeah, my husband and I sometimes miss the wealth of dining options and small music venues that we frequented in Chicago, but actually there's quite a bit of that here too--and I haven't even ventured out to Raleigh! There really is a dizzying array of fabulous restaurants around here... and in Durham and Chapel Hill at least, plenty of independent bookstores, coffee shops, and watering holes. I can only imagine that the same is true of Raleigh, we just tend to stick closer to home... and let's be honest, with a toddler around, it's not like I'm going out like I used to anymore, right? In a lot of ways, I sort of appreciate having fewer options. KWIM? Best of luck with your decision to move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary