Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 12:27 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times

Advertisements

I like Harris Teeter for the variety carried and customer service. Good sales, although overall pricier than the others. I like Kroger b/c they also have pretty good variety and decent sales. Lowes is ok. They have good deals sometimes and great customer service like Harris Teeter, at cheaper prices. They just don't have much variety. I don't care for Food Lion or Walmart. Some Food Lion's have a pretty good organic/vegetatian section. Don't care for Walmart either. Unfortunately, out in Mebane it's only Food Lion, Lowes, and Walmart. Consider yourself lucky with the variety of stores!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 12:36 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
I usually go to Harris Teeter on Sunset and Holly Springs road. Or Lowes on Bass Lake and Holly Springs Rd.

HT is nicer, more up scale, that is where I do my grocery shopping. But lowes is also fine, usually hit them up on the way home for spot items. Walmart is cheaper, but it's Walmart.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:55 PM

1,341 posts, read 3,912,210 times
Piggly Wiggly dominates . Is there not one in that area?

Old 08-06-2009, 01:11 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,020,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
There is no grocery chain in NC that focuses on all aspects of an excellent grocery store: cleanliness, store aesthetics, variety, price, and customer service.
There is no grocery store ANYWHERE that does this.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:14 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
About every 3 weeks we make the trip from Chapel Hill to Aldi in Cary and fill up our mini van with two or 3 carts full for about $300. The only things I buy at my more convenient Harris teeter are milk and bread. I buy my Iams at petsmart or target. I used to feed my family of 5 for $100 per week shopping at Aldi's when we lived 5 minutes from one. Their meats are great, store brands, cereals, etc are all fine. We take a freezer chest for the ride back home.
When we first moved here I tried everyday shopping at HT and found my typical grocery bill was $160 per week compared to $100 at Aldi. I use very little convenience foods, bake and cook from scratch so that $160 was ridiculous. We do go to the Carrboro Farmers Market on Saturdays from time to time and like to buy fresh NC produce from a local stand but I silll count those shopping experiences in my weekly budget. I freeze alot of produce too.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:20 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
I have to add that I'm surprised that alot of families do not budget their groceries. They just buy what they want to buy. I used to be that way before kids!!
I have friends who shop at Target about twice a week and Harris Teeter for in between Target trips. They are 2 adults, 1 ten year old and 1 two year old. She told me they average $200 per week. The husband tends to do most of the shopping and cooking too.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:21 PM

72 posts, read 283,280 times
I personally shop at Kroger and occasionally go to Fresh Market if I need some special items or Super Walmart if I need something besides groceries on a shopping trip.

Harris Teeter is nice and has lots of items beyond the usual staples but I've found it to be too expensive and not worth it quality-wise to shop there regularly. Kroger, Food Lion, and Lowes all vary greatly in quality, cleanliness, and overall selection based on location and how new they are. The Kroger on the corner of Old Wake Forrest and Six Forks is huge and as nice as a Harris Teeter.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,743 times
My husband and I are moving to Durham next week and have a question that is related to this. More recently we've started buying all of our meat and produce from a small market nearby and only go the grocery store a couple times a month for everything else. We enjoy having fresher food and the opportunity to support the local market. The place we go is open 7 days a week so it's really easy to stop by whenever we need something. I'm worried that we won't be able to find a place like this in Durham. Does anyone have suggestions of similar stores in Durham or Chapel Hill? We will be moving to the western side of Durham on the boarder of Chapel Hill. Thanks a lot!

Old 08-06-2009, 02:02 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Some meat and much produce can be bought at the farmers market in Carrboro.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:26 PM

72 posts, read 283,280 times
Also try Cliff's Meat Market in Carborro - Cliff's Meat Market
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary