Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 08:39 PM

46 posts, read 194,036 times

Advertisements

Any idea on Nurseries in North Carolina for cheap cypress trees and everygreen shrubs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 06:37 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,944,947 times
Go to Angier. It's a bit of a hike from Raleigh - about 45 minutes to an hour depending on where you're starting from.

Two good nurseries there to check out: Broadwells and Old Stage Nursery. They sit across the street from each other. Search this forum, you'll find prior references to them. Broadwells is huge, - acres and acres of plants. You must drive around to pick them up. You also have to have some sense of what you're looking for, as the plants aren't labelled as to variety or price. Don't worry too much though - I've loaded up (stuffed) the back of a large SUV several times and never spent more than a little over a $100 dollars. Prices are a fraction of what you'd pay at retail (e.g., often as little as 10% of the normal retail price.) They take cash and checks.

Old Stage is similar, a little smaller and their plants are usually labeled (but not with prices).

Old 08-17-2009, 08:31 AM

46 posts, read 194,036 times
Thanks for your suggestions! I shall definitely visit those.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:37 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
Does Broadwells sell perennials as well as trees and shrubs? How long does it take from Chapel Hill. Thanks CH Transplant.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:54 AM

It takes just over an hour. Almost entirely on I-40, except about the last 10 miles. If you Google Broadwells, you'll find the address (but not much more) you can use to map it. Note they are closed on Sunday.

They do sell some perenials. We've bought daylillies, lillies, hostas, and ornamental grasses. There's a third nursery next door to Broadwells called Tar Heel Nursery. A more normal sized place that sells mostly perennials. Prices are good, but not the kind of wholesale pricing you see at Broadwells.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:01 AM

114 posts, read 430,191 times
Go to McLamb Nursery. Old more established and better quality than any of the other nurseries listed above. Ask for Kevin the big guy that does the growing he will set you up.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsbj92 View Post
Go to McLamb Nursery. Old more established and better quality than any of the other nurseries listed above. Ask for Kevin the big guy that does the growing he will set you up.
Thanks. Yet another one in Angier to check out. Anything you can tell us about them? I found their website, which is fancy but doesn't have much info (like days and hours of operation) although it does have a plant/price list.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:12 PM

114 posts, read 430,191 times
Typical hours for McLamb Nursery, best that I can tell 8-5 M-F. They are much closer to I-40 than any other nursery only 2 miles or so. They also have a boothe at the Farmer's market, that is how I meet Kevin. A home three houses from mine in North Ridge redid there entire yard and trucks bring the plants had picked up everything from McLamb's. My neighbor went to Broadwell's to buy magnolias, they all died in one season.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:17 PM

306 posts, read 720,056 times
I second CHTransplant's recommendation for Broadwells and Old Stage. We went to both this spring and found great plants and shrubs at fantastic prices. Everything we purchased is doing great and we'll absolutely go to both again!

Old 08-17-2009, 05:33 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,816,657 times
If you are referring to LEYLAND Cypress I would look hard at alternatives. A very finicky evergreen-disease prone and fussy about moisture.
The advice about WHERE to purchase plants above is right on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary