Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:42 PM

426 posts, read 1,456,983 times

Advertisements

We live in Grandale and we're very happy here. There are lots of kids of all ages and our home has been mostly problem free. We went the "upgrade to a minimum" route and we think we made a wise choice. As far a negotiations go, Grandale is hard to get concessions from. The neighborhood has continued to sell well all year and they're just about done with lots. It's a very desirable neighborhood with good homes, so they don't need to negotiate. Trust me, I tried.

In fact, we love the neighborhood so much that we convinced my sister-in-law to build here. They're closing at the end of Sept. Our neighbors are very friendly, it's diverse and safe. Not much in the way of public services (yet) but those are coming, I think. How old are your kids? Schools right now might be a concern but in several years, I believe the quality of the schools will improve greatly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 06:04 AM

842 posts, read 2,590,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanawan View Post
We live in Grandale and we're very happy here. There are lots of kids of all ages and our home has been mostly problem free. We went the "upgrade to a minimum" route and we think we made a wise choice. As far a negotiations go, Grandale is hard to get concessions from. The neighborhood has continued to sell well all year and they're just about done with lots. It's a very desirable neighborhood with good homes, so they don't need to negotiate. Trust me, I tried.

In fact, we love the neighborhood so much that we convinced my sister-in-law to build here. They're closing at the end of Sept. Our neighbors are very friendly, it's diverse and safe. Not much in the way of public services (yet) but those are coming, I think. How old are your kids? Schools right now might be a concern but in several years, I believe the quality of the schools will improve greatly.
Well sbanawan, my family and I are one step closed to becoming your neighbor. That number "6" you see when you drive into the sub-division happens to be yours truly . Yes, we are in contract with Centex to build us a home at the Grandale. I am taking a bit of a chance because I do not know what will happen as far as my job is concerned after the end of the month, but I think that there is a very good chance that my employer's contract will be renewed long enough for me to at least go through the process of getting the house. It has not sunken in yet maybe because of the uncertain and unpredictable economy, I have been more on the cautiously optimistic side of things .

Anyway, the wife and kids are loving it and the expression on their faces is enough for me. My kids are 7yrs and 4yrs respectively (both girls) and I too was wondering if there would be enough kids for them to play with; I think that concerned was answered after driving around for a little. I think we may have met while driving around .. I will DM you.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:34 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,109,846 times
Congrats J! I think we need to have another bbq at Grandale. Is everyone up for it?

Old 09-01-2009, 07:43 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,764,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanawan View Post
Not much in the way of public services (yet) but those are coming, I think.
I'm wondering are you referring to services only offered to Grandale residents? Or are you talking about City / County of Durham Services? If the later, can you elaborate? I know there is a new Library being built across from Lowes Grove Middle, but I am not aware of any more public services that are coming to this area. I'm hoping you know something that I don't know and can share. Thanks!

Old 09-01-2009, 09:54 AM

673 posts, read 2,268,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
Congrats J! I think we need to have another bbq at Grandale. Is everyone up for it?
We're game! Who wants to host this time?

And Sena, haven't seen posts from you in a while... How did the closing and move-in go?

Old 09-01-2009, 09:55 AM

842 posts, read 2,590,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
Thanks! Hope we can all hookup soon

Old 09-01-2009, 12:03 PM

Down on Scott King, there's a parcel of land that was just purchased by Durham Public Schools. There's a big sign down there, right across from the entry to the Lyon Farm neighborhood. I've also heard of a new park but I'm not sure where I heard that. And I've also heard something about a new YMCA in SW Durham but that may have been the downtown Y trying to keep me a Y member (I cancelled my membership after we moved because it was just too far to drive).

Old 09-01-2009, 08:15 PM

I'll host it Addie. Let me check my calendar.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:15 AM

I think we'd be down for (or is that "up for"?) another cook out. Patty's sister and family would probably be there too.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:18 AM

That's great! When will their house be done?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary