Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 09:16 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRhythm View Post
My two cents for posterity: I think it should be a choice and left up to the individual establishments. Doesn't the government have better things to do?
Are you getting the idea that government dinks think EVERYTHING falls under their purview?
"Wake up and smell the end."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 09:46 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightmidnight View Post
Since it's clear that individual restaurant owners would like it, it is a health risk issue as posed by the state agency interpreting the law. They are not (supposedly) interpreting any social aspect of dogs on patios, although to me it seems that's what they're doing more than the health question, since the health question is a moot point (dogs are allowed inside restaurants in Europe, and I very much doubt they have higher rates of restaurant illnesses than we do here).
Clarification: I was speaking about the discussion/debate here, not the legal rulings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty320f View Post
My dog laying beside me outside a restaurant can be no worse than flying in the same airplane as a cat in a crate or a dog in a purse.
It is MUCH worse to breathe recirculated air containing pet dander (in an airplane cabin) than it is to breathe circulating air while sitting next to a dog.
The fact that the State of NC is trying to regulate this is just annoying.

Like many have said: You can't do this half-way; you would have to regulate birds, squirrels, bugs, children, and pets on planes, etc.

How many times have you eaten outside and a fly has pitched on your food/drink? It is much more disgusting for a bug to throw up on your food than it is for a dog to sit next to you.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:06 AM

282 posts, read 820,050 times
Angry It's not about you, it's about everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightmidnight View Post
Since it's clear that individual restaurant owners would like it...
But not all. As a country we have always looked out for the minority, this seems like a case of majority rule. Since many support the ban they intend to screw over those that do not with a government mandate.

It's not often that I just show up to a restaurant with my dog, but I do enjoy going to fundraisers and dog oriented functions. Just a few examples:

Canines N Cocktails @ Tavola Rossa
SPCA of Wake County:

Bark @ the Ballpark
SPCA of Wake County:

Fido's after Five (Spirits Pub & Grub)
SPCA of Wake County:

This law would mean these events would all have to be canceled. So to those asking, YES, it is a big deal. This would hurt local businesses, the local shelters, and the dog owning community. If you do not enjoy sitting near a dog why not just go inside, not attend during dog events, or seek out those restaurants that do not cater to dog owners. I do not enjoy sitting near children, so I do not go to a restaurant on kids night and avoid places with playgrounds. Is it extra work, perhaps a little bit, but I'm not about to petition the government to impose my personal wishes upon a restaurant.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:02 PM

?? And the reason we can't have fundraisers and "dog oriented functions" outside of restaurants is - ?

As for "local businesses," the only ones affected are restuarants, and I seriously doubt a restaurant would suffer greatly simply because dogs aren't allowed...if so, it probably wasn't that good in the first place.

As for local shelters, I have no idea why you think it would hurt them.

I won't even ask what "hurting the dog owning community" is supposed to mean.

If eating with your dog is so important, either go somewhere else (like a park) or eat at home.

I will say that Wake Co's legal justification for this is weak, ie the state law that says "live animals shall not be allowed in a food preparation or storage area." ? Tables where people are eating isn't a "food preparation or storage area."

Oh well

Old 09-16-2009, 06:17 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,156,880 times
i may have missed something about other penalties, but the article i read indicated it would cost the restaurant 2 points on the sanitation score if inspected with dogs around. if i owned a clean restaurant and did the 2 point education thing, i'd get a score of like 99 and just take the 2 points off for a 97. right below the mandated posting of that placard i'd post a sign saying "we sacrificed 2 points to allow our guests to bring their canine companions on our patios. thanks for your support." it's not like the health dept is going to shut the place down because they don't have the police remove people with dogs

Old 09-20-2009, 09:50 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
<> And just so's we're on topic.... I don't think dogs belong in any restaurants-whether or not they feature patio seating nor do I think they belong in any enclosed store unless it's a pet supply store.
Actually the big box hardware stores welcome them.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:09 AM

18,051 posts, read 15,639,191 times
They do! I've taken my dog to both Lowe's and HD before and people (both employees & customers) have come up to pet her and greet us/her. As far as I can tell, no one has had an issue with it and no one has ever said anything like "she's not allowed in here." Since she's the one paying and driving the car I guess they see who the real customer is! :wink:

Old 09-30-2009, 12:59 PM

59 posts, read 236,475 times
We just returned from Europe with our large dogs. We took them everywhere with us, to include restaurants, B&B and wild animal parks. We very much enjoyed being able to include our furry companions in so much of our lives.
I find it sad that here they are excluded from so much. Lowes, HD and petsmart are not much for socialization. I hope wake county and those affected by this will rally against such an ordinance.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:03 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
They're dogs!! Why, why, why must they go everywhere humans go? I love dogs; I own dogs. But I see no earthly reason why they must be everywhere humans go.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:34 PM

Spitting into the wind CH. Props for trying though.

At least people aren't lobbying for cats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary