Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:29 AM

232 posts, read 553,280 times

Advertisements

They changed the test in 2005. Among other things, they added the writing portion to the exam. Without it, the highest score possible would be 1600. With it, the highest score possible is 2400. To compare with previous exams, I don't think they consider the scores from writing portion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
My sister graduated in 2006 and they changed the scores to go up to 2400 if I remember right. These scores shown are back to the lower scale of when I went to school that went up to 1600. So I assume they changed them back to 1600?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 09:05 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Ahh, statistics. I just love the debates the erupt around trends in average SAT scores, as if one number tells the entire story.

For example, I noticed that the percentage of students in Wake County taking the test fell this year, from 73.6% to 67.1%. What impact do you think that has on the average? Do you think that it was more higher-performing typically university-bound students who didn't take it this year, or maybe lower-income, marginally-performing ones? If it was the latter, do you think maybe the average went up not because of stronger overall test performance but instead because fewer low-performing students took it?

I don't know the answers, but I am reasonably confident that pointing at the single average score and claiming it tells the entire story is probably not accurate.
Aren't you really describing how Chapel Hill/Carrboro achieves the highest scores in the state?

Old 08-26-2009, 09:06 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
OOPS!!! I just realized that I linked the Webex session I was attending early tonight instead of the story. Here's the link to the story. State's SAT score drops a point - Education - News & Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/education/story/1661610.html - broken link)
Near the end, you'll find a school by school breakdown link.
Enjoy your pudding!!! :-)
Thanks! I'm still looking for more pudding. This link Accountability Services shows stats by schools and talks about state trends in demographics. I'm still looking for school scores / district scores divided out by demographics. If I find it, I'll post it.

Thanks again!

Old 08-26-2009, 09:08 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Aren't you really describing how Chapel Hill/Carrboro achieves the highest scores in the state?
Yup. On test day we lure all the kids who normally anchor the low end of the bell curve to Homestead Park with a promise of free helicopter rides (which sadly, get canceled at the last minute due to unspecified mechanical problems).

Old 08-26-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Thanks! I'm still looking for more pudding. This link Accountability Services shows stats by schools and talks about state trends in demographics. I'm still looking for school scores / district scores divided out by demographics. If I find it, I'll post it.

Thanks again!
I tried Googling but didn't find much. I thought it would be easy to find.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Yup. On test day we lure all the kids who normally anchor the low end of the bell curve to Homestead Park with a promise of free helicopter rides (which sadly, get canceled at the last minute due to unspecified mechanical problems).
Because Chapel Hill/Carrboro has the widest and most even distribution of students in the entire state, it must be a huge undertaking to dig through the trenches and highlight only the best and the brightest.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:21 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
For example, I noticed that the percentage of students in Wake County taking the test fell this year, from 73.6% to 67.1%. What impact do you think that has on the average? Do you think that it was more higher-performing typically university-bound students who didn't take it this year, or maybe lower-income, marginally-performing ones? If it was the latter, do you think maybe the average went up not because of stronger overall test performance but instead because fewer low-performing students took it?

I don't know the answers, but I am reasonably confident that pointing at the single average score and claiming it tells the entire story is probably not accurate.
Yup--just like how if you look nationwide, the states that score the highest on SATs are almost universally the ones where only a VERY small number of kids take them (typically the ones applying for out-of-state colleges).

Old 08-26-2009, 09:22 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Default A couple of "Generalizations" that I found interesting

If you go to: Accountability Services you will find SAT scores listed by State. If you look at this you will find that among states w/ at least 50% of kids taking the SAT the top 8 are:
1) Washington 1055
2) Oregon 1048
3) NH 1046
4) Mass 1040
5)VT 1038
6) VA 1023
7) NJ 1009
8) NC 1006

My generalizations...

1. While SAT scores are clearly higher in Washington and Oregon, there is NO WAY in heck I want to send my kids to school there (thus why I am here). BECAUSE their state funding & local funding for schools is a horrible mess. NC looks golden even in the down turn in comparison.
(Note CALI only had 49% of it's kids taking SAT so I didnot include their 1013 score... but I put them in the "no way in heck" category too. )

2.) Lots of folks from other states complain about the school systems in NC... "not as good as back home". Well, back home usually means a more segregated system. (Just take a look at Gerald Grant's latest book.) AND it seems the back home states are either about equal in the case of NJ for SAT scores or worse as in the case of: PA - 994, RI - 994, NY- 987, and Delaware 993.

Please note that I only looked at states where at least 50% of eligible students took the test. IL, & CONN have great scores put low percentages.

**** Scores used were CR + M (Critical Reading plus Math).

In the end the SAT really only matters IF it gets X student from high school to college and then off to becoming a productive member of society. Of course, except for the people who still talk about their SAT scores 15+ years after graduation.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:50 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Because Chapel Hill/Carrboro has the widest and most even distribution of students in the entire state, it must be a huge undertaking to dig through the trenches and highlight only the best and the brightest.
You've exactly highlighted the issue with these "average" statistics. CHCCS fares well (in this and other measures) due as much to the quality of the students it has (affluent, educated families, etc.) than it does from the quality of the schools. I've never been one to give the schools here as much credit as they give themselves. I have yet to see the statistic that shows how a given child, placed in say Wake County vs. Chapel Hill, will perform in each of the systems. My guess: pretty much the same.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:08 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,584,421 times
We should bus kids around between the school districts to help even out the scores next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary