Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 01:01 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,167,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidodido25 View Post
As far as throwing a Meet the neighbors party is concerned - it's a good idea but is too labor intensive. I don't think am up for that gig right now.
Okay, but don't complain that you don't know your neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 02:00 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
At some point, you could have a potluck supper/dinner and just provide hamburgs/hots, rolls, and soft drinks with your neighbors.

Those from NYC might want to start up a New Yorker Meetup. When I first moved here (pre-Meetup), there was a New Yorker Club run by two women from the NYC area. They arranged for "members" to try out area restaurants about once a month. It was just making reservations and sending invitations. They once had a Christmas/Holiday party at their apartment party room. And I once did have a potluck supper at my house and invited everyone. It was all fun, and most people were from the NYC area and some from western NY.

The New Yorker Club was HUGE way back in the early 90's. I would think there'd be a gigantic group if someone started one on Meetup now.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:05 PM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,344,077 times
The Triangle Mommies board has a forum (for mommies only) that is quite active. I think people get together from that. Probably mommy-kid focused, but it would be a place to start.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:39 AM

533 posts, read 1,199,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb View Post
The Triangle Mommies board has a forum (for mommies only) that is quite active. I think people get together from that. Probably mommy-kid focused, but it would be a place to start.
Is Triangle Mommies on meetup? You are the second person I've heard refer to that group in the past few days.

Thanks!

Old 09-09-2009, 08:42 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea1107 View Post
Is Triangle Mommies on meetup? You are the second person I've heard refer to that group in the past few days.

Thanks!
TriangleMommies.com--the Triangle area of North Carolina's Mom-to-Mom Connection

Old 09-09-2009, 08:48 AM

533 posts, read 1,199,182 times

Many thanks!

Old 09-09-2009, 09:19 AM

18,102 posts, read 15,676,604 times
As far as meeting your neighbors, something easy/relatively inexpensive you can do is to brew some coffee, have some tea ready, buy a couple boxes of donuts and invite the neighbors on your street to stop by (say on a Sat morning or mid-morning) for coffee, a donut or 2, and an introduction. Put simple little hand-made invitations in their mailboxes several days before. It doesn't have to be a full-course meal...you can hang out on your porch if you have one, or put around some lawn chairs with a little table in front and hang out there. A 2-hr window of time may be all you need. I'd be surprised if no one stopped by. And who knows...you might just start a street tradition where the neighbors decide to have coffee/tea and munchies once a week or a couple times a month on a weekend morning.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:38 AM

96 posts, read 302,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
As far as meeting your neighbors, something easy/relatively inexpensive you can do is to brew some coffee, have some tea ready, buy a couple boxes of donuts and invite the neighbors on your street to stop by (say on a Sat morning or mid-morning) for coffee, a donut or 2, and an introduction. ....
I think it's a wonderful idea! A low-key, as well as less labor intensive. We may actually try this one of these days!! Thanks

In my original post I also wanted to know if there are places around here to do some family-friendly activities. Like good parks, or maybe a particular mall has a good hang out place for kids. When I drove around my neighborhood in Cary, I found that most of the parks were part of some apt complex/community. Are there any good public parks? Are there any parks with rides? Any family-friendly restaurants fast-food joints in the area that are particularly good in your exp?

-Fido

Old 09-09-2009, 09:48 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidodido25 View Post
I think it's a wonderful idea! A low-key, as well as less labor intensive. We may actually try this one of these days!! Thanks

In my original post I also wanted to know if there are places around here to do some family-friendly activities. Like good parks, or maybe a particular mall has a good hang out place for kids. When I drove around my neighborhood in Cary, I found that most of the parks were part of some apt complex/community. Are there any good public parks? Are there any parks with rides? Any family-friendly restaurants fast-food joints in the area that are particularly good in your exp?

-Fido
List of Cary Parks:
Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources Home Page (http://www.townofcary.org/depts/prhome.htm#Parks - broken link)

From the Cary GIS:
You have to accept the Terms of Use:
Town of Cary > Home ( DNN 2.1.2 )

There is a great map to Cary Parks there.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 09-09-2009 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: GIS link won't work unless you go through the portal

Old 09-10-2009, 07:59 AM

29 posts, read 142,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Throw yourself a Meet The Neighbors party. Give each of your neighbors an invitation, either in person or in the mail. Somebody is bound to show up if there's free food & booze.

I'll be there and I'm not even sure where you live!!

Sounds to me like a lot of people in this thread should be meeting each other

Hey! Not Fair! What about us stay at home Dads? We're always left out! We need a group that we can go to talk about how all the stay at home Moms give us odd looks when we go to Walmart lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary