Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2009, 07:32 PM

2 posts, read 6,736 times

Advertisements

I've searched and searched but I haven't quite found the answers I needed.

What it is that my folks no longer needed their 1997 Nissan which is registered in Florida and obviously since I'm posting in here I'm in NC. They dropped off the car and the title. I realized after they had left to go back up north to Massachusetts where we're originally from that my father had forgotten to sign on the back but had signed on the front.

Though on the title it is listed as my mom OR my dad. So does this mean I can still take it to the DMV to have it transferred to me?

Also I filled out a form "MVR 6" I believe it was and had it notorized showing that I'm receiving the car as a gift from my folks is there any other paper work I need to take to the DMV to change the title ownership over to solely me? Or anything else besides the plate?

Another thing is thing is that the tags have expired and because of that should I wait until the title is in my name (and shown as registered in NC) before I get it inspected. Or is inspection required before changing ownership of the title?

Well that is about it! Please, I appreciate any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 11:33 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,015,803 times
The best way to get your answers is to go down to the DMV-Title office,
bring chocolate, show them what you have and ask what you need.

Do it all that day because the next day they will change what you need to do.
Also stick with the same person so you get the same answer at least for that day.

We have dealt with boat and auto transfers to NC from other states after
an estate was settled and it was comical the many and crazy steps you have to go through.....

"We need for you to turn 3 circles, close your eyes, sing a song and
clap your hands" "YES SIR... WHICH SONG?"

Old 09-07-2009, 11:37 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,585,622 times
What Kelly237 said. I second that. The most ideal situation is to bring the selling party in with you.

I know when I bought a car the seller's signature had to be notarized. But I have heard they don't enforce it if the titled state doesn't require it.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:18 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,080,377 times
DMV does typically want to see notarized signatures to show a "clean" title. Even for mundane things like small trailers.
I never thought about the chocolate angle. Man you guys are good !

Frank

Old 09-09-2009, 11:35 AM

2 posts, read 6,736 times
He he, if I did decide to bring chocolate they wouldn't last the trip as I would eat them all. I may need to bring banana bread instead.

I really don't think that the folks are going to drive another 2days to get back here to sign more papers unless its back on the way to Florida which wouldn't happen until November. So I'll have to make do with what I have and pray its enough. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary