Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Job searching in Raleigh: government sector, applications, qualifications, competitive market

Old 05-02-2007, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,778 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone, This is my first time on. We are trying to relocate to Wake Forest. My husband has applied for many positions that he is well qualified for and no responses. The last job (working as an Access programmer for NC Dept of Revenue) had 1000 applicants! Does everyone want to move to the Raleigh area? What is the job market like? Some we talk to say they moved and have been in search of a job for months. Others are transferred, or find new careers. Help me with as many opinions as you may have. Any suggestions for recruiters are welcome. Looking forward to many responses.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 12:42 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,650,424 times
I really think it depends on what field you are trying to get into. I searched for quite a while from outside of NC, but mainly in the government sector. Because there were many people applying for these jobs, and governments tend to promote from within, it took me several months. Once we got here, my boyfriend went through exactly what your husband is going through. Lots of applications and resumes sent out for jobs he was very well qualified for, and nearly no call backs for months. His field is Parks, Recreation and Special Events.

The job he finally got was "outside of the box" in terms of his type of profession, but it is a good one. Just keep applying, maybe try to think outside the box to find jobs that others in the industry might not know about, and something will definitely come up. For us, good things did come to us for our wait!

Best of luck!

Old 05-02-2007, 12:48 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,677,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacCoCo View Post
Hello Everyone, This is my first time on. We are trying to relocate to Wake Forest. My husband has applied for many positions that he is well qualified for and no responses. The last job (working as an Access programmer for NC Dept of Revenue) had 1000 applicants! Does everyone want to move to the Raleigh area? What is the job market like? Some we talk to say they moved and have been in search of a job for months. Others are transferred, or find new careers. Help me with as many opinions as you may have. Any suggestions for recruiters are welcome. Looking forward to many responses.
Thank you
Yes, everyone seems to want to be moving down here. There are jobs, but the market is competitive. I would certainly not suggust moving and then trying to find a job, but will admit that it can be hard to find a job before you do. Are you in NC then? How far is the commute to Wake Forest for you now?

My husband and I have both been on a job hunt recently and it took two months for us to find positions. I am sure it would have been longer, but we had good personal networks.

The company we worked for (and why we moved down years ago) went bankrupt unexpectedly...and everyone of us have found jobs throught networking rather then straight applying. I've come closest to actually just applying and finding a position (at least I got an interview) but it turned out there was a connection between the GM and someone who had recomended me that I didn't know about!

What other skills does you and your husband have? Can he expand his search out of just Access database?

Old 05-02-2007, 12:55 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,043,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacCoCo View Post
Thank you

Hi. I live in wake forest (great choice by the way!) and is he applying in wake forest, or in raleigh, etc I would suggest, if he has contact information regarding the positions to actually directly call the organization. I think many people have found it easier when they are here, but that is a scary step to move without a job. Anyhow, pm me if you have questions.

Leigh

Old 05-03-2007, 07:17 AM

3,670 posts, read 6,583,990 times
Different industries require different approaches to finding a job. You mentioned in your original post an Access position. That would indicate your husband works in IT. If true the best course of action would be to get onboard with a headhunter. There are also IT specific job boards he should be trolling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary