Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 08:21 AM

10 posts, read 33,291 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know which hospital in the traingle has better reputation? Duke Vs. WakeMed Vs. UNC? I have been hearing from people that WakeMed is a no..no...i have my doctors who are affliated with wakemed...and now i am a bit concerned. I like my doc so far but i am told the hosptial care sucks...i probably also need to find out if i can go to duke when have to even if my doc is affliated with wake med....i do not know how all these fall...does anyone out there has a better understanding of all these? Would apprecaite your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 08:32 AM

983 posts, read 3,986,713 times
I'd go to WakeMed, and I'd go to UNC...but my family knows under no circumstances will we go to Duke, or any Duke affiliated facility. I've heard WAAAYYYY too many horror stories about Duke, and I can honestly say, I've never heard anything bad from UNC or WakeMed.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:18 AM

447 posts, read 1,619,186 times
Why not Rex Hospital in Raleigh? I've gone to both WakeMeds in Raleigh and Cary and to Rex for emergency care and Rex was by far the best.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:20 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
I'd go to WakeMed, and I'd go to UNC...but my family knows under no circumstances will we go to Duke, or any Duke affiliated facility. I've heard WAAAYYYY too many horror stories about Duke, and I can honestly say, I've never heard anything bad from UNC or WakeMed.

Yeah, that's why Duke is consistently ranked as one of the 10 best medical facilities in the US. Duke recruits some of the top physicians from all over the country. That's why Ted Kennedy chose to have his brain surgery at Duke.

[SIZE=3]Duke Ranks Tenth Among Best U.S. Hospitals - DukeHealth.org[/SIZE]

I've been employed in the healthcare system for over 35 years now. You will hear both good and bad reports about almost all facilities on any given day. I'm not knocking any of the other places mentioned. My neighbor spews venom about Wake Med...I also take that with a grain of salt.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:41 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Honestly, none of them is "bad", and you will find people with great experiences from every given hospital, as well as people with horror stories from every given one. Duke does have a stellar reputation, especially for particular areas (such as cancer, and I can vouch for this since my mother had cancer surgery there and beat the "odds" by two years), but UNC is no slouch (and they, in fact, have just opened a brand new cancer center). As with most places, it will come down to what doctor you get, but you're going to be safe with UNC or Duke, and Rex has a great reputation in Raleigh, as well. DukeMed in Raleigh (formerly Raleigh Community Hospital) I have heard mixed reviews about, but again, it's one incident here, one there. WakeMed is the public hospital, where one would generally expect lesser care, but I can speak very highly for their rehab wing, as a friend of mine was there for a few weeks and I was more impressed with them than with Rex.

Since most of us don't "claim" a hospital like we claim a doctor, I would go for where the better known doctors are, if you're expecting to need a hospital stay, and research it by that route.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:20 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Since most of us don't "claim" a hospital like we claim a doctor, I would go for where the better known doctors are, if you're expecting to need a hospital stay, and research it by that route.
I'd concur with this .. if you have a doctor you trust then then they should guide you to the best facility for your needs. When Ted Kennedy came to Duke for his cancer treatment you can bet it was because of the doc that practices there.

Frank

Old 09-24-2009, 10:50 AM

932 posts, read 3,096,607 times
I think it depends on what your needs are. They're all good hospitals. You'll hear horror stories from every hospital on Earth. It's the nature of the business.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:28 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
I've heard that they have a number of deaths every year at ________ Hospital. Really, would you want to be treated at a place like that?

Old 09-24-2009, 04:51 PM

133 posts, read 452,230 times
Default re

Quote:
I've experienced a horror story (and about lost my son) at WakeMed. I'll never go there for anything. I have also had experience at UNC, Duke, Raleigh Community (now Duke Health Raleigh), and Rex... loved them all.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:26 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
My very own doctor told me to avoid Raleigh Community (now Duke Health Raleigh), and I went once, anyway, when I had a kidney stone. It's only two miles away.

While in the ER, I remember actually crawling from behind a curtain to the center of the room and BEGGING for a painkiller. They immediately stuck with me with a needle and THEN asked, "Are you allergic to anything?" (I am allergic to a LOT of things.)

Later, when I spoke to a woman I knew who wrote The Kidney Stone Handbook, she was furious and wanted to call the hospital herself and chew them out for their poor treatment; she said they didn't take the steps they should have.

Another time I went there with chest pains, and half the lights were out in the waiting room/admittance area -- why, I don't have a clue. I went there only because I heard it was the only hospital that would NOT admit you if you went in with chest pains.

Now, I won't go there for any reason.

The people who work there were there when it was Raleigh Community. No difference.

I love Rex.

Wake Med was great for my grandson when he had a broken leg, especially their children-only ER.

My neighbor loves Duke Hospital in treating her one remaining lung.

So people will have differing experiences. But you won't find me at Raleigh Community/Duke Health Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary