Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 11:11 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duhrambull View Post
that is exactly what we want. smaller but loaded houses in North Raleigh.

I am wonderring why the builders can not get the message and build houses buyers and realtors want
The most common valuation metric, and sometimes the most misleading metric, is $$$/square foot.
It is easier to safely find value in size than amenities.
And the buying public worships $$$/square foot.

The "Load it up, in a small package" buyer group is not large enough to drive the market for builders. Certainly not large enough to justify the risk of developing land in the current climate. Not much drives the market in speculative building right now anyway.
And throw it into a JUMBOland, and it is only harder.

But, the option always exists to buy a lot or do a knockdown and have an architect and custom builder create your dream.
The designers and builders are available, and now might be an auspicious time to do it.

But you have to have $$$cash to play with. It is hard to find comps to satisfy a lender based on upgraded construction methods and amenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 11:42 AM

757 posts, read 2,083,633 times
I thought the small cottage entry in Sunset Oaks was really nice. The downside: no yard and no inventory..and windows look directly into the neighbor's. No inventory doesn't really help us right now. Take that specific house and put in on a .25 acre....and perfect.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:51 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duhrambull View Post
that is exactly what we want. smaller but loaded houses in North Raleigh.

I am wonderring why the builders can not get the message and build houses buyers and realtors want
I can tell you the biggest problem with building what WE want in North Raleigh is the price of land.

The land in North Raleigh is so valueable and banks want builders to use the formula of 25% of the total value is for land. So...if the lot is $100,000, the house must be $400,000 and because we use dollar per sq. foot, it is tough!

It is hard for most to justify paying $400,000 for a home that is only 2400 sq. ft.

However, I do think there is a market for this. Like I said, I'd buy and I have clients that would buy. Maybe I'll buy some land and start my own neighborhood and call it "Ms. Vicki's Neighborhood"!

It will be like Mr. Roger's Neighborhood...only filled with HAPPINESS!

Vicki

Old 10-05-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
I thought the small cottage entry in Sunset Oaks was really nice. The downside: no yard and no inventory..and windows look directly into the neighbor's. No inventory doesn't really help us right now. Take that specific house and put in on a .25 acre....and perfect.
The smaller homes built in The Park at West Lake in the section called "The Commons" fits what I'm looking for but I want that in North Raleigh. Small lots, small homes, custom built with upgrades. Maybe we need to find the house and just pick it up to move it!

Vicki

Old 10-05-2009, 12:21 PM

532 posts, read 2,845,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Like I said, I'd buy and I have clients that would buy. Maybe I'll buy some land and start my own neighborhood and call it "Ms. Vicki's Neighborhood"!

It will be like Mr. Roger's Neighborhood...only filled with HAPPINESS!

Vicki
Mr. Cstleddy and I would buy a place in your neighborhood Vicki, but we'd definately need roads named for us by first name and then named after all the youngins (if we had any).

Old 10-05-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstleddy View Post
Mr. Cstleddy and I would buy a place in your neighborhood Vicki, but we'd definately need roads named for us by first name and then named after all the youngins (if we had any).
I can live with that! Let's name a road after the doggie too!

Vicki

Old 10-05-2009, 01:43 PM

12 posts, read 10,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshallen View Post
Brighton Forest is a gorgeous neighborhood with awesome houses....
It is certainly that. This was the best development we could find in the under $375k price point, considering the size of the lots, the amount of trees, size of the house and the quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshallen View Post
....cheap because it is way the hell out there.
I don't know how this statement could apply as a broad fact. Way the hell out there from what? Apex is across the street, Cary is at the next intersection and Raleigh is two interesections up and over. It isn't like we are in Angier.

BF is a great suburban neighborhood for people working in Raleigh, Cary or the southern section Research Triangle Park. I challenge anyone to find homes of this quality and design, in a new wooded subdivision at or lower than this price point, as close as we are to everything. There certainly are lots of cookie cutter developments or clearcut developments, but nothing like this IMO.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:54 PM

393 posts, read 674,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
The smaller homes built in The Park at West Lake in the section called "The Commons" fits what I'm looking for but I want that in North Raleigh. Small lots, small homes, custom built with upgrades. Maybe we need to find the house and just pick it up to move it!

Vicki
There are many neighborhoods down this way that are designed just the way you like 'em.

Land in more densely developed areas like Raleigh or Cary will cost more. Less of it means it cost more. To make money on it, builders will put up bigger homes of inferior finishes to make it work out financially. Just the opposite where land is a plenty. The land is cheaper, so a home can be built with superior design and finishes for less money. The builder pockets the same, but the price of the land dictates what the consumer gets. That's just one of the many perks of living in this part of the Triangle area. There are so many developments with homes from 1,700 to 3,000 sq ft that have all the bells and whistles, yet nicely affordable.

If you have some free time, I suggest you check out many of the Parade Homes down this way to see how much you can get for the money and see how close we really are to everything.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:17 AM

36 posts, read 129,022 times
Have to see the Bathroom in the Wieland Parade Home in Overlook Section of Woodcreek in Holly Springs. First time I had seen a design like that.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:52 AM

2 posts, read 5,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
I'm happy you liked the house - my husband and I are the future owners Actually, the small quaint neighborhood was exactly what we were looking for. My husband and I are getting ready to start our family and we wanted a neighborhood like my parents grew up in - Sunset Oaks definitely is it. Yard work was something we were never excited about - so it was the best of all worlds for us. We wanted quality, not size - and DJF has definitely exceeded our expectations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary