Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 05:35 PM

85 posts, read 322,972 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We are very close to a decision on our new home purchase; it's down to two neighborhoods. One is Peninsula at Amberly.
http://www.trianglenewhomes.com/community.aspx?ind=PAM

Does anyone have any information on this neighborhood? It's about 300 homes, Craftsman-style, the builders are First American and Royal Oaks and they just added Garman Homes.

They are about $450k-$600k.

I think the homes are beautiful inside and out, and very good quality for a non-custom builder.

But ... they don't seem to be moving too fast. We've been visiting for the last few months and not as many are sold there as some other developments.

Does anyone know if there is any reason for what looks like a bit of a slower selling market there? I would love to buy there but am concerned about what may happen if they don't sell well, the developer pulls out ... etc. Similar to what happened to one of the Preston areas, and the Toll Brothers area.

Thanks

BunnyRider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 07:45 AM

29 posts, read 313,105 times
Default what happened?

What are the bad things that can happen when a project doesn't go to completion such as in the cases of Preston areas, and the Toll Brothers area? I can picture a couple of houses in a barren wasteland with the wind and tumbleweeds, etc.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:55 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyrider View Post
Does anyone know if there is any reason for what looks like a bit of a slower selling market there?
Someone will have to verify this, but I thought that I remembered someone in this forum saying that this section of Amberly is in Chatham county. Perhaps that is part of the reason.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:03 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
Here is the website for Garman Homes (I noticed there wan't a link to it on the above website).
http://garmanhomes.biz/
The site only lists 3 home plans, but I believe they have more.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:06 AM

202 posts, read 950,091 times
Yeah, we looked here too but it's in Chatham County and your kids will have to go to Chatham County Schools. Not sure how far that bus ride is.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:51 AM

47 posts, read 244,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rundent View Post
What are the bad things that can happen when a project doesn't go to completion such as in the cases of Preston areas, and the Toll Brothers area? I can picture a couple of houses in a barren wasteland with the wind and tumbleweeds, etc.
Which part of Preston and which Toll Brother's area? Just curious what happened and where we should watch out? Thank you!

Old 05-07-2007, 12:10 PM

11 posts, read 38,548 times
Default We just bought there

We are moving from Mass and just purchased at The Peninsula. They have been great to work with so far. I think it always starts slow. Each builder can only build probably 10 houses or so a year. I know several are under construction now.

The schools are in Chatham but they plan to build a new elementary and high school, I believe closer to us so I am not worried.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:35 AM

85 posts, read 322,972 times
flysouth, can I PM you for future discussion? We've been back and forth down there since January and I'm really torn. I could really use some real-life feedback.

Let me know; thanks.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:52 AM

13 posts, read 40,203 times
Any new update about Peninsula? Deciding between Peninsula and older house in Cary....so confusing

Old 08-13-2007, 12:17 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,767 times
The homes in the Peninsula are very nice and seem to be well priced, but the 3 rules of real estate apply-location, location, location. Nice homes, decent lot sizes, great location but not the "hot" location.
Peninsula sales are flat because given the choice buyers prefer Wake County. If you notice the print ads for Amberly's own "Village Square" neighborhood (admittedly a totally different living concept from the Peninsula) the Bedford Builder Group points out that they are "Amberly's Custom Builder in WAKE County.
It's not a good sign that the developer is selling lots directly to the public for a future build (This means that 1st American and Royal Oaks are hesitant about putting more spec homes up) and it's also not a good sign that the some of the second round of spec homes under construction are priced 10% below where the first round was last October during Parade of Homes.
The Chatham County school situation is probably a bit overblown, but in a buyer's market it's not helping. It also doesn't help that you can buy a very nice resale in Cary Park for similar money and be in the Highcroft/Salem/Panther Creek school zone.
I'd be nervous about reselling a Peninsula home if it turned out to be a mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary