Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 03:39 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshallen View Post
that was the ryan home....different quality but it sucks for the people that built last year!
I know that was the first Ryan home that closed.

I'm not trying to be Mr. Negativity here-let me try to clarify myself on two topics from this thread.

With regard to Hilliard Forest, the unfortunate truth is that the economy will not support it building out as originally intended-a CUSTOM home neighborhood with pricing from 500 to 900K. So instead what you have is a developer who went behind Dennis Fitzgerald and Tripp Loyd's backs and set up a deal with Ryan homes, a builder of average repute elsewhere in the South who has never set foot in Raleigh before. He didn't cut the neighborhood into two sections and give Ryan one side-he sold Ryan lots that are directly next to either finished DJF/Loyd homes or lots that DJF/Loyd already control. That is bad business IMO-what should have happened is that Ryan gets a group of lots in one area and you try to bring in an additional couple of custom builders on the level of DJF/Loyd to flesh out the Custom side. That is the formula that has been successful in many neighborhoods including ones that Winslow Properties has developed in the past. I'm sure that anyone who already closed on a DJF or Loyd home in Hilliard Forest is none too pleased about what has happened there.

With regard to Cary Park-CP is at the end of its buildout south of Carpenter Fire Station Road. There are a few lakefront lots left but all of the main builders (Orleans, McNeill Burbank, David Weekley, John Wieland, and the custom builders) are long gone. The only new construction left is the Camden Townhomes and Bellemont. Camden is an entry level townhome and Bellemont backs onto the 540 corridor. Those two areas can do nothing but pull down CP's average dollars per square foot going forward.

The fact is that resales at the mid point of CP's price range and higher are dead. The only thing selling in Cary Park is the cheap stuff-over the past 12 months the average sale price is $234K at $110 per square foot. The few high end properties that are selling are only selling at fire sale prices, and there really is no end in sight to that trend. The OP is looking for advice on properties at $500 to $750K, and I would tell a friend looking to spend that kind of money in this (awful) market to focus on neighborhoods that don't have properties in them that sell for 25% of their max budget. That opinion has nothing to do with cultural/income/lifestyle diversity-it's business advice.

I never meant to offend anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 06:22 PM

513 posts, read 1,604,687 times
one of the lakefront lots in cp went pending today

Old 11-13-2009, 08:24 PM

33 posts, read 248,968 times
Default Hilliard Forest

Of the Ryan homes sold thus far, 1 sold for 383,000..the model home, which was sold to an investor and is currently being leased back to Ryan, as use for their model...also, the square footage is incorrect on the wake property website...actual square footage is approx 3,600 (not > 4,000).

There will soon be even more kids...3 of ours...in addition to the 26 mentioned above...plus 2 other families we have met who are building with Ryan and have kids

Old 11-14-2009, 10:04 AM

4 posts, read 9,083 times
Default we're moving to Hilliard Forest

We too are closing on a house in Hilliard Forest on Dec. 1. We are getting a decent deal (for this market; in our opinion) on a DJF home in there. We were really looking at Highcroft Village, but for the same price (because we negotiated) we are getting a much nicer DJF home with all the upgrades. We are also getting a much bigger backyard than we would have gotten in Highcroft Village. The neighbors are always out on the weekend and are very friendly. We've got 2 more kids that we are adding to the mix and my husband drove through there this morning and said that all the kids were out. I like that it feels like we are out in the country (this is because we are from Phoenix) and we aren't concerned about the 540. It's supposed to be 3 football fields away and it will probably have the most noise/traffic during rush hour. Since it's a toll road it probably won't be loud all day long, or all weekend long. Like I've read in other posts, you've got to deal with either planes, trains, or automobiles here in triangle. I would rather listen to a toll road during rush hour over something else. Also, we would rather have a larger Ryan home as our neighbor in Hilliard than the condos. in Cary Park (where we are renting a house now.) Some people are o.k. with the condos; we personally didn't want them. There is no such thing as a perfect neighborhood. You just have to weigh the pros and cons and try to make the best decision for your family. We are excited about getting into Hilliard Forest.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:58 PM

71 posts, read 210,258 times
There are some other posts in the forum that discuss I-540 proximity to Hilliard Forest, Highcroft, and surrounding area.

It will cross behind Hilliard near Twyla Road and between Highcroft and USA Baseball Park. The NC Turnpike Authority website has maps showing the route. You can also use the GIS map on Wake.gov website to view the corridor - the Turnpike Authority is still in process of buying right-of-way so there are gaps in the corridor but it is visible when you zoom out from your address.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:09 PM

194 posts, read 490,591 times
How would you rate The Reserves? No one has mentioned?

Old 11-15-2009, 05:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,068 times
Anyone considered waterford estates by Drees?

Old 11-15-2009, 06:56 PM

17 posts, read 38,766 times
Thanks everyone for all of your input. Really, there are many nice subdivisions: wood creek, sunset, Cary park, HF, abbington,etc. All are very family friendly as I've met families from every one of them. Everyone has a place that is a best fit for them otherwise we'd all live in the same place!. I think I have all the info I need now and will just sort through it. Thanks!

Old 11-24-2009, 07:37 PM

99 posts, read 377,798 times
Originally Posted by HitsOfMisses
Isn't that close? As I stated earlier, it's anywhere from 600-1200 ft.

Noise travels up. The road noise will bounce (multiply) on the sides (walls) of the road & will be more if it is below the road surface 'cause it will form a tunnel "U".

I'm not an expert. But is sounds logical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshallen View Post
what "walls"?
Walls=Sound Barrier

Old 11-24-2009, 07:40 PM

99 posts, read 377,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitsOfMisses
I think for many people who travels a lot & prefer excellent, already established schools, HS is not an option even after 540.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKR27540 View Post
I can't speak of the school system personally since my youngest is at UNC and my grandchildren are too young to attend. However, I'm not sure what traveling a lot would have to do with HS and what do you consider a lot? I fly out of RDU every 2 mos or so on business and certainly find the drive quick enough. Or were you referring to something else?
A Cab/Taxi ride to the RDU would cost you a bunch especially if you're flying out multiple times in a month for a relatively long trip (over 5-7 days/ trip). And forget about parking at the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary