Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 09:01 PM

75 posts, read 336,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGlover View Post
My suggestion is this...cross Kildaire Farm Road to SE Maynard Road and you will be much happier. The 2-3 mile change will make a huge difference. I know several people who have and still do live there and are very happy. Very family oriented and right at Cary High School, walking distance. There are also townhomes located right behind Cary HS as well.

Linda
Can you be more specific, Linda? Much happier? Huge difference? How so? I'm not interested in being walking distance to schools, etc. (I do not have children). That aside, your posting is only marginally helpful, because it sounds like you have an opinion....but you're being vague about why you feel that way. Again, read the subject of my original posting. I'm looking for HONEST answers, here. What is it about areas on the SW part of Maynard that make you feel the way you do? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 09:30 AM

306 posts, read 1,306,586 times
Default Scare-mongering

Cary has some ethnic and economic diversity. This comes as a shock to people who believe, and are attracted by, the racially homogenous and exclusively upscale stereotype. Those people would be better suited to a gated community some place else.

Last week I read those outlandish “beer swilling’ comments by Bargainmom and decided to check out the neighborhood for myself. Near to Briarcliff Elementary there are some older apartments. The rents there are low compared to newer complexes. The residents are racially diverse. There are definitely Hispanic families living there. Indeed there is a Mexican grocery store and bakery close by (next to the Bruegger’s Bagel shop and opposite from the Caribou coffee shop) on SW Maynard. It is not a Lexus-driving part of town but I did not feel unsafe in any way. I would not choose to live in the immediate vicinity because it is not beautiful to my eyes. Still, it is obnoxious to suggest that living within two or three miles of poorer, non-WASP folk will cause unhappiness. I guess it all depends on your own personal comfort level and idealogy.

Meanwhile, Lake Pine Drive off SW Maynard reminds me a little of the Woodcroft Parkway area of Durham where I used to live. I drive down there fairly often on the way to Apex. It is mostly a family-oriented neighborhood with well-kept homes. There are also some townhouses with singles/young couples as well. I see people out jogging on the sidewalks (there is also a greenway trail nearby at the actual Lake Pine). There is a bicycle lane that is well-utilized (I often see whole families out riding). The cute little ‘duck crossing’ sign down the road always makes me smile. The scariest thing there is the four-way stop! If you choose to rent a house in that area do be aware that roadworks have just started on SW Maynard. http://www.townofcary.org/depts/dsdept/engineering/engproj/swmaynard.htm (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary