Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Washington DC housing prices too high, how can singles afford a nice home, don’t want townhome, high real estate prices squeezing singles out of DC market

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 04:32 PM

41 posts, read 165,644 times

Advertisements

SIGHHHHH.

Does anyone else feel priced out of this ridiculously rising housing market? Gosh, first I moved from Washington, D.C. to here and now I feel like I'm being priced out yet again.

I know this is laughable to many, especially those who can afford more expensive, median priced homes in the $200k's but...

I don't need a McMansion. I don't want a TH but I feel I have to compromise with the wall sharing and tight feel of TH communities. Argh. I just want a decent home that's not in the woods, that's not a rancher, that's not in a funky (as in gross) neighborhood.

Can I just get some love from others who are feeling the squeeze? I know that $200K is normal nowadays for a home but some of us don't have that stretch to pay around $1400/month for a mortgage PLUS all of the other un/forseen expenses.

OY.

Just venting. (I don't expect some mysterious housing genie to appear and help me/us out.) Crawling back to corner...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 04:37 PM

607 posts, read 2,431,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA2 View Post
SIGHHHHH.

Does anyone else feel priced out of this ridiculously rising housing market? Gosh, first I moved from Washington, D.C. to here and now I feel like I'm being priced out yet again.

I know this is laughable to many, especially those who can afford more expensive, median priced homes in the $200k's but...

I don't need a McMansion. I don't want a TH but I feel I have to compromise with the wall sharing and tight feel of TH communities. Argh. I just want a decent home that's not in the woods, that's not a rancher, that's not in a funky (as in gross) neighborhood.

Can I just get some love from others who are feeling the squeeze? I know that $200K is normal nowadays for a home but some of us don't have that stretch to pay around $1400/month for a mortgage PLUS all of the other un/forseen expenses.
Nova;
Didn't you check out the houseing before you moved??? Did you move for a job promotion?? Why did you move here?? What was your motivation. I am sorry the housing prices came as a shock to you. I know houses in Detroit are going for a steal right now. If you work from home, you could pick up a great deal in Detroit, or the surrounding areas.

Liz

Old 05-15-2007, 04:45 PM

Yep, I checked out the housing before moving. You know that itsy-bitsy square of a picture that usually displays what housing looks like? You know that same tiny picture and how it only shows the house and cannot possibly show the n'hood? Well, seriously, that's kinda what happened here. I got several home books and saw prices that were lovely. I went online (esp. realtor.com) and the same thing-- just tiny pictures. Well, after seeing gobs of affordably priced homes and after visiting once I came down here early last year (long story shortened) and voila!-- most of the affordable homes I merely scanned were actually not what I desired-- particularly location/n'hood-wise.

No need to suggest Detroit.

Did I mention that this was a vent/rant? That's all.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:50 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
I was in the sub $200K range this past summer. There are good homes out there in the $145K-$165K range if that works for you. You just need to be ready to jump on the gems that come along because they get snatched up quickly by folkslike you and me on the prowl.

If I were you I would not rule out ranches unless you really have an issue with them. There are some older neighborhoods closer to inside the beltline in Raleigh that have nice brick ranches on .25 acre lots with mature trees. I think these are pretty good options and provide fr decent commutes to many jobs.

Don't lose hope! There are less expensive homes out there. I would start by getting a good RE agent to help you find them!

Old 05-15-2007, 04:54 PM

607 posts, read 2,431,327 times

Did I mention that this was a vent/rant? That's all.[/quote]

I wasn't joking about Detroit. That market it a mess, and if you work out of your house, you could get a really good deal. Beautiful homes out that way.
I just don't like snow, plus I need a job market.

Liz

Old 05-15-2007, 05:00 PM

Right, lizardlips (btw, love the moniker).

Gosh, I know about that dilapidated Detroit thing. I would mention how I know it so fondly, meaning I have relatives in high places there-- well, I guess I just mentioned it. But yes, I know that it's crazy cheap there and all that but it IS cold and majorly depressed and...SIGH again.

Like you I need a job market. Even when one works from home (well, I guess depending on what they do specifically) it's nice to have a job market as a back-up.)

Old 05-15-2007, 05:01 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post

Did I mention that this was a vent/rant? That's all.
I wasn't joking about Detroit. That market it a mess, and if you work out of your house, you could get a really good deal. Beautiful homes out that way.
I just don't like snow, plus I need a job market.

Liz[/quote]

I am not sure if Detroit can turn around....but wow...some great homes in once were very upscale areas.

I've seen some cute homes downtown....nothing special now, they need some TLC and paint and landscaping......but real potiential. If I was that limited by a budget, I'd be looking at those and upgrading/improving as time and money allowed.

If my husband and I both hadn't found new jobs to the north of Raliegh and RTP, I would have thought very seriously about something like this....lots of work though.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:07 PM

823 posts, read 3,923,062 times
You could ease your home payment by renting out an extra bedroom. There are plenty of students, etc. in the area.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:16 PM

54 posts, read 412,956 times
Default You are not alone....

In response to your observation of the over-priced/valued housing market, I have been searching all over the West for a home and feel your pain. However, the corrections are beginning to happen in many HOT boom towns, so hang in there (rent) and watch it happen. Sad to watch but you will be glad that you didn't buy at the peak of the RE market. Look at Reno, and just recently Bend OR...the air is leaking out of the bubble...sssssssssssssss

Old 05-15-2007, 06:14 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA2 View Post
SIGHHHHH.

OY.

Just venting. (I don't expect some mysterious housing genie to appear and help me/us out.) Crawling back to corner...
Although I am not moving here, I have lived here for the majority of my life. BUT, my point is, I think about the house that my husband and I bought when we bought our first house in 1997, for 150k, new construction, nice neighborhood. I always think, what would we do if we were going to buy our first house today?

So, I hear your rant, and I get it.

Leigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary