Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 07:12 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times

Advertisements

We started this in Northern VA back in 2000 I believe. I had a different area code than my wife did. Lots of urban areas have overlay codes now. Raleigh should be joining the fun soon. It took some getting used to at first. That's why so many people that have moved to this area say their area code first before telling you their number. Some people seem to be impatient when I do that, but it's something I've been used to saying for years.

FYI - I thought that with cell phones you had to dial the 10 digit number, even if it is the local 919 area code?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 07:54 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,156,880 times
ive had only a cell phone for over 9 years. i didnt realize non 10-digit numbers still existed

Old 11-27-2009, 08:24 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Back in 2001 we started the transition to 10-digit dialing, but just as soon as we started, BellSouth pulled the plug and said we wouldn't need to for several years.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:42 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,654,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Back in 2001 we started the transition to 10-digit dialing, but just as soon as we started, BellSouth pulled the plug and said we wouldn't need to for several years.
Thanks for the update!

Old 11-29-2009, 12:18 AM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times
I'm glad I added cell phone contacts with their area codes from the beginning!!

Old 11-29-2009, 04:34 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
having moved here from Atlanta with at least 4 or 5 area codes, we are used to 10 digit dialing. like a previous poster stated, you get used to it. however it does get confusing when one family has 4 different area codes for cell phones, one for landline and one for fax. It couldn't remember them all if I had to. In fact with automated dial up I don't even know anybody's full phone number. Never had to memorize them and it has gotten me in trouble a few times.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:16 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
In fact with automated dial up I don't even know anybody's full phone number. Never had to memorize them and it has gotten me in trouble a few times.
Yes, I think this is the real point--more and more, people don't know anyone's phone "number" anyway, because all of their contacts are programmed by name.

Then they lose their cell phone and are S O L, as it were That's why I keep a written log of phone numbers even if I have them programmed.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:54 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Yes, I think this is the real point--more and more, people don't know anyone's phone "number" anyway, because all of their contacts are programmed by name.

Then they lose their cell phone and are S O L, as it were That's why I keep a written log of phone numbers even if I have them programmed.
I don't know about other cell carriers, but mine has an online option where you can upload and store your contacts on their website. This would come in handy if I were to lose my phone.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:49 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Yes, I think this is the real point--more and more, people don't know anyone's phone "number" anyway, because all of their contacts are programmed by name. Then they lose their cell phone and are S O L, as it were. That's why I keep a written log of phone numbers even if I have them programmed.
My somewhat elderly mother was visiting recently. While here, she had to call another family member on her cell phone. So she got her pocket phone directory out from her purse, looked up the number, and dialed it on her phone.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:56 AM

502 posts, read 1,654,376 times
LOL My MIL did something similar recently. Are we related?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
My somewhat elderly mother was visiting recently. While here, she had to call another family member on her cell phone. So she got her pocket phone directory out from her purse, looked up the number, and dialed it on her phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary