Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 01:55 PM

312 posts, read 868,371 times

Advertisements

My husband and I were in the Raleigh area recently and we really liked the area in general. Met a lot of nice, friendly people and even looked around for a place to settle in for next summer. We really liked Knightdale; it was an easy ride to/from Raleigh and you can get anywhere from there.

A man who is somewhat familiar with the area told my husband Knightdale wasn't a good idea, but would not elaborate or go into any detail as to why, so we are pretty stumped. They keep steering us to Cary/Apex/ F-V etc which are nice but have a higher cost of living and prices etc.

We are just regular, blue collar people who have always lived within or below our means and are not looking for a lavish lifestyle down South- we want to semi-retire, downsize and lead an even simpler life than we do up north... and really looking forward to it! :-)

I have searched the board for info on this town and like what I have read so far. But I am throwing this out there: Why not Knightdale? Just trying to figure out what they're thinking but aren't saying!

Last edited by DiJay; 12-17-2009 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 02:08 PM

477 posts, read 1,419,746 times
Do you have kids? I have many friends that live in Knightdale. They like it there, but their kids attend magnet schools in Raleigh. (That is how I know them - through our kids.) Many residents of Knightdale do not want their kids going to the Knightdale schools. Just an observation.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:10 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,625,515 times
I have a friend who lives in Knightdale near the high school, and she has mentioned all the problems that school has (i.e. gangs, police called in, etc.). She doesn't have kids so it's not an issue, but sometimes I do think she would prefer to live in a little nicer area.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:42 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,259,066 times
Yep...unfortunately, Knightdale High School has issues! Unfortunately, that doesn't help real estate values BUT there are plenty of folks that just don't care and live in Knightdale anyway! Once 540 was built, Knightdale was set to grow; however, with the economy, it isn't growing as quickly as it was expected. But I have seen growth in Knightdale and perhaps as more people move to the area, the school situation will get better. I have seen that happen in other areas.

The subdivison called Churchill in Knightdale is one of the nicest, IMO.

Vicki

Old 12-17-2009, 03:50 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,760,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
But I have seen growth in Knightdale and perhaps as more people move to the area, the school situation will get better. I have seen that happen in other areas.

Vicki
It will be interesting to see how the new WCPSS school board w/ their neighborhood schools focus will affect Knightdale. It seems like an area that WCPSS may have historically over looked, so the Knightdale schools may not see much change with the new board.... or at least they may not get worse.

The next 2- 5 years for Knightdale will be interesting at the least.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:29 PM

932 posts, read 3,098,729 times
I think Knightdale is a great small town. Good shopping and great access to everything. As far as gangs, you'll find them in almost any public high school you go to. When you look below the surface Cary and Apex are really no better than anywhere else. They have scary neighborhoods, and crimes in schools too. They just cover it up with nice shrubbery.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:29 PM

92 posts, read 103,231 times
they have a disturbing gang problem for a suburb and the location is not as good as other places you could choose. that combo makes it less attractive.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:08 PM

346 posts, read 613,394 times
I live 2 miles from Knightdale...Just today we drove around the area and we liked what we saw..we have no children so schools are not an issue...On Knighdale Blvd. you have every major store you could want plus its proximity to I540 makes it a breeze to go anywhere else...we also took a drive down to Clayton today and it looks pretty spread out down there. Its only 17 miles from Raleigh but it seems thats pretty far away when you compare it to Knightdale and other more immediate suburbs. I would listen to what people are saying but in the long run one should decide for themselves what is appropriate for them.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:12 PM

346 posts, read 613,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bojangles View Post
they have a disturbing gang problem for a suburb and the location is not as good as other places you could choose. that combo makes it less attractive.
Hmm you should see Trenton NJ if you think Knightdale has a bad reputation...

Old 12-17-2009, 05:26 PM

92 posts, read 103,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheelMan View Post
Hmm you should see Trenton NJ if you think Knightdale has a bad reputation...
i would not say it has a bad reputation. i would say it is not the most desirable of the surrounding suburbs for the reasons i mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary