Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2009, 12:58 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,261,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
If it's legal to park on the street, then you can do it.

If you're offended, park your car in front of the neighbor's home to see if they can "feel your pain".
Great idea! There is a small day care/school near my subdivision and on days when they had parents come in for meetings or parties, they would ask the parents to park at the nearby shopping center and the daycare would shuttle them in.

There were ALWAYS a few who would decide to park on our street. I didn't like it but I let it go, considering it was just for a couple of hours. However, someone parked in front of my neighbors DRIVEWAY and they had a fit. Can't blame them. How would you like it if you were heading to work and someone blocked your private driveway so that you couldn't get out?!!

After a few of the neighbors threw eggs (no, I wasn't in that group) on their cars, it seems it stopped!

As for anyone that lives here being a "Southerner", I can't say I agree with that one!!!

Vicki

Old 12-23-2009, 01:26 PM

271 posts, read 701,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave in jersey View Post
I agree. I grew up in a small town in NJ with narrow streets, and lots of houses. You were lucky if you found a spot on your block let alone in front of your house.
Same here. Living in NYC just being able to find a spot on your block was a treat.

Just remember you don't own the Street. You own the side walk in front of the house.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:45 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,626,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCinNC View Post
Just remember you don't own the Street. You own the side walk in front of the house.
I don't think you own sidewalks either - although you are expected to shovel snow off them!

Old 12-23-2009, 05:08 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,828,925 times
There is a muddy boat in front of my parents' house. Of course it's not my parents. ugh...

Old 12-23-2009, 05:47 PM
CYB

108 posts, read 270,981 times
[quote=VickiR;12146874] How would you like it if you were heading to work and someone blocked your private driveway so that you couldn't get out?!!

Wow that brings back a memory for me. I used to live in an apartment on Mcneil street in Raleigh. Some of the apartment complex just parked on the street and others parked in a lot. I was leaving home for work one morning before dawn to pick up my friend (we carpooled), when he pulled up in his truck to get me.

We had had a mix-up about whose turn to drive it was and we decided I would ride with him. I pulled my truck over, jumped out, hopped in his truck and off we go to work.

When I got home I learned that I had parked in front of the parking lot, blocking in about twenty cars! I had been ticketed, but wasn't towed because I hadn't locked my truck. (standard transmission, someone just pushed it out of the way.) I remember being very grateful that my truck wasn't vandalized!

Old 12-23-2009, 08:48 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,295,896 times
I live on a cul-de-sac and two of the 7 houses are rentals. We've been going batty with the 20 something partyers in one of the rentals who go at it 4-5 days out of the week. They'd take over every inch of street parking on it, sometimes for days at a time. Thank goodness they have finally moved and we're all keeping our fingers crossed the landlords will make better choices (doubtful)! It's been months of dogging cars getting in and out of driveways, including my elderly neighbor hitting one, so I feel your pain.

Now if you really want to feel some pain live in the city of Chicago during the winter and watch what happens there when it snows. Imaigne, there's 6 or more inches of snow and it'll take the city more than a week to get their plows to your street, so people go out and shovel out their "parking spot" in front of their house so they can easily get in and out of it without getting stuck. Makes sense, right? Here's where it gets tricky. Before they leave for the day they'll put chairs in place of their car to save their spot. If they don't do something to save their spot some lazy so called neighbor will just hyjack the nice clean spot if they get home before you since they didn't shovel out their own when they left for the day. So you see, the chairs are necessary. Even in doing this (as ridiculous is this is all getting) there will usually be an even nastier neighbor who will have the gall to just remove your chairs and park their car in the spot you cleared out for your car, again because they didn't care to shovel out their own spot. Are you dizzy yet?!! When you go knocking at their door, since everyone knows what each others cars look like (duh!), they just say, "You don't own the street!" and slam the door in your face. Now that's really rude!

So, who's in the wrong here - the person who put chairs in the spot that they shoveled out, which is on a public street, or the nasty neighbor who stole the spot? People go thru this behavior year after year in the winter and many arguments and fist fights have come out of it. See, it could be even worse. Just one of the many reminders why I moved away, as if the freezing cold there weren't enough!

Old 12-23-2009, 11:22 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,180,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
However, someone parked in front of my neighbors DRIVEWAY and they had a fit. Can't blame them. How would you like it if you were heading to work and someone blocked your private driveway so that you couldn't get out?!!

After a few of the neighbors threw eggs (no, I wasn't in that group) on their cars, it seems it stopped!
well, parking in front of a driveway is illegal. however, so is vandalism to another's personal property. i'm glad you didn't take part in the shenanigans, but it's also pretty disheartening to see folks act in such a petty manner.

Mike

Last edited by whiteboyslo; 12-23-2009 at 11:35 PM..

Old 12-24-2009, 01:39 AM

655 posts, read 2,184,405 times
I don't think this is an issue, period. What's the big deal? Let people park wherever they want. So long as they're not blocking your driveway, it shouldn't be a problem.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:13 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,701,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
well, parking in front of a driveway is illegal. however, so is vandalism to another's personal property. i'm glad you didn't take part in the shenanigans, but it's also pretty disheartening to see folks act in such a petty manner.

Mike
My thoughts too. I wonder how successful Vicki's neighbors have been teaching their children (assuming they have children) that two wrongs don't make a right. I can't believe grown ups behave like this.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:33 AM

64 posts, read 173,763 times
I've been pondering this issue a lot lately. I live in a downtown Raleigh neighborhood affecting by church parking on Sundays ... all day on Sundays... and because our lack of parking in general, either my husband or I have to park on the street at all times. This means, if I come or go at all, there is a person who has either blocked me in via parallel parking (where it takes me 10 minutes to get out of the spot with careful backing up) or someone is impatiently waiting for me to leave so they can take my spot. If I leave and come back, there is no parking available. I know I don't own the street, so I can't really complain (like I'm doing right now), but I feel like these people should be a little more courteous towards other cars. Give us space. Don't be rude. I live here! Thanks for letting me vent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary