Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 10:56 PM

7,147 posts, read 4,742,203 times

Advertisements

Oh, I get it now, Francois.

You're referring to my minimal City Data Reputation score as being "TWO," aren't you.

That's not something I concern myself with when I read posts here, and I'm sure many others don't consider that as being important, either.

My mere 300-something posts are due to my busy schedule and lack of time to visit this site, as compared to your 2,184 posts in about a 12 month more period of time.

People who are not native North Carolinians do have valid and useful opinions, especially those of us who have lived in 12 or more different states in this country.

best,
toodie

Old 12-22-2009, 11:02 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
...or do I just have rude neighbors (or rude friends of neighbors)? Understand, I can see if someone is having a party or there's no place else to park etc - but I live in a fairly typical subdivision w/room on both sides, and the people across from me (mostly their teenage kids I think) have visitors ALL the time...and very often, even though there's curb space in front of their house, they park in front of mine. In fact, right now there's a car that's been parked there for days. wth? I know a property owner doesn't "own" the road in front of their house, but I was raised that that kind of thing is rude. You're not there to see me and this isn't a shopping mall either.

So just wondering, is this some demographic thing I'm not up on?
Where do you live? I'll let folks in nyc know they can quit driving in circles I found them a spot. I'll sell it to them for $10 and they'll think they got a bargain.

Just pulling your leg! I saw this thread heading and couldn't resist.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:33 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
The guys from New York who rent beside me have parties all the time. Their friends from New York park out in front of my house all the time. It ain't a southern thing

Old 12-23-2009, 06:16 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Quote: TWO data points = a conclusion?

Wow, let's publish it in a statistics textbook!

I don't get your comment. What does "TWO data points" refer to?
best,
toodie
I think he means that you have just 2 experiences on which to base your conclusion. The first is your experience you are having right now and the second being your experience in New England. I don't think "two data points" refer to either "city data" or "reputation points" acquired from the site.
I think he's trying to say that this is not enough information to conclude that this is a rude Southern/NC behavior.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:21 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,213,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Why dont you just get street cones and place in front of your house if this such an issue
lol - tempting. But that might start up "neighborhood issues" (the people on this street are pretty tight and I'm more or less a newcomer). I might do it just temporarily a time or 2 to see if they get the message, but I can't see leaving them there indefinitely.

Well it's the holiday season so I'm letting it go for now (besides I won't be here Christmas), but when I get back if that #$!@ car is STILL there (it's been there about 5 days now and counting), the police are getting a call.

People

Old 12-23-2009, 06:36 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Where I grew up in NJ we had a neighbor who had a 4 car driveway and only 3 cars yet he would always park a car in front of my parent’s house. This went on for years until they moved. My father couldn't care less while it was going on, but it drove my mom nuts. FWIW, I don't think this is a regional thing, just an individual’s personality / choices. I think with the dawning of development with smaller lots and smaller driveways you will inevitably end up with more people parking in front of other people’s homes since there isn’t as much room as their once was.

Me? I try to avoid parking in front of other people’s homes. I also try to avoid parking opposite a driveway (learned that one the hard way!)

Old 12-23-2009, 06:51 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Points I'd like to make:

- In all the time I lived up North, in cities and suburbs, in five different homes, no one ever parked in front of our house. Of course they did when neighbors had visitors, but no one ever did it regularly. It only happened here, and I let it go for several months before I said anything.

- Do you live here? Then you are a SOUTHERNER. (Sorry, Francois.) The dictionary definition of Southerner is: a native or INHABITANT of the southern U.S.

- As far as trying to insult someone about their rep points or number of posts -- think about it. People who post help the community and the economy (of some) by posting. The more posts, the more information provided, and the more advertising sold. I think if city-data as an interactive online newspaper. It provides news and information, as well as one heckuva editorial page. Not to mention photojournalism from NRG. It's all good.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 12-23-2009 at 07:30 AM..

Old 12-23-2009, 07:17 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Moderator note:

Negative repping isn't tolerated on this forum if you receive one direct message markablue and she will take care of it
thanks

Old 12-23-2009, 07:28 AM

257 posts, read 713,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I think he means that you have just 2 experiences on which to base your conclusion. The first is your experience you are having right now and the second being your experience in New England. I don't think "two data points" refer to either "city data" or "reputation points" acquired from the site.
I think he's trying to say that this is not enough information to conclude that this is a rude Southern/NC behavior.
In this case only, I'm going to claim to be a mind-reader and say the above is exactly what Francois meant... valid statistical proof of something requires a large sample size (i.e. multiple data points), and two experiences (i.e. data points) does not a large sample size make. Any other explanation makes no sense.

And for the OP's situation, yeah, that sounds like rude neighbors.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:05 AM

515 posts, read 1,716,947 times
I am on my HOA Board and we struggle with this daily. One issue we have is that our Town decided to make driveways asthetically pleasing by requiring a stupid flare in the middle of the DW which significantly cuts down on the area to park. But that being said, we also have some who have two cars and always park in the street never thier DW or in the garage as they were intended for. I have neighbors across the street who have MANY family members, each with a car and it is always an adventure backing out of my DW. It is really a pain but what we the Board struggle with is how to stop it. Our covenants are vauge on parking in the street and the police are non-assistive unless it is a violation (fire hyrdrant) and even then they only ticket but never follow-up. It is aggravting to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary