Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 09:37 AM

50 posts, read 270,818 times

Advertisements

I am a physical therapist interested in relocating to NC.

I've heard that The Triangle Area has a large concentration of medical centers and hospitals. But does this region have the largest concentration? I am researching into Charlotte as well.

Once I've found this out I'll look for a middle school for my son plus an apartment to rent.

Many thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 10:03 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,757 times
The Triangle is a little smaller than CLT; however, the Triangle is a state-level, national and worldwide magnet for health care, which means that they have more hospital beds and services than would be accounted for just by their population.

Duke is regarded as one of the top ten hospitals in the US. UNC Hospital is a major draw for patients from throughout the state. Plus you have the Rex and WakeMed systems, and their growth due to the state's expansion.

For hospitals and health care, I would tend to take a good long look at the Triangle. Good luck!

Old 01-03-2010, 11:40 AM

223 posts, read 577,104 times
I wish I could find a certain article for you:

A few years ago I read an article that stated that RTP had the largest ratio of healthcare professionals to patients in the US. I believe that the article was from late 2004, so the stats might be different now.

It is one of the reasons that my wife and I targeted the Triangle as our #1 place to move and start a family.

It would seem that the Triangle would offer more opportunities for a PT professional than Charlotte.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf_Rocks View Post
I wish I could find a certain article for you:

It would seem that the Triangle would offer more opportunities for a PT professional than Charlotte.

I would tend to agree with you. I did read on this forum that the Triangle Area does offer alot of medical opportunities. This is pretty good, because though there are some excellent middle schools in South Charlotte, I have heard that Raleigh comprises of the better schools. On the other hand, Charlotte has 'neighbourhood schools', and Raleigh doesn't, which I prefer over 'bussing students'.

Oh well, a lady can't have everything .

Thanks.

Last edited by Haleema12; 01-03-2010 at 12:52 PM..

Old 01-03-2010, 12:57 PM

223 posts, read 577,104 times
My kids are not old enough yet for school, but I believe (not certain) that the recent Wake County school board elections will bring an end to the bussing issue.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:14 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,167,647 times
If you want hard numbers on this, I'd suggest that you go to a local library (public or university -- either will do) and ask a reference librarian to help you find the info. I would NOT base such a decision on soft info tossed up on a board like this. Seriously.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf_Rocks View Post

I believe (not certain) that the recent Wake County school board elections will bring an end to the bussing issue.
What's going on with bussing students?

Old 01-03-2010, 01:50 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
The idiotic waste of money for diversity busing is no longer in favor since the last election.

A giant waste of fuel and resources.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
The idiotic waste of money for diversity busing is no longer in favor since the last election.

A giant waste of fuel and resources.
I'm not familiar with NC nor the US school system.

Will parents be expected to take their children to school or have to consider transferring their child to a local school then?

Old 01-04-2010, 11:55 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haleema12 View Post
I'm not familiar with NC nor the US school system.

Will parents be expected to take their children to school or have to consider transferring their child to a local school then?
For the full story, see our local paper the Raleigh News & Observer (on line) and the school system www.wcpss.net

Your child is provided transportation if the school isn't within walking distance. This won't change. I come from England where they do not provide transportation and kids use public transport or walk, so I understand your confusion!

Nothing is happening yet regarding changes to schools, way too early to tell what's going to happen. I have raised a child thru wake co schools and now have an 11 yr old in middle school. The neighborhood v's bussing is a bit of a misnomer. Some children are bussed for long distances, some are not. My child was "bussed" to an elementary school 5 mins from house my definition of this is a "neighborhood school". For middle school, I choose to keep her in the year round track (all she's ever known and works for her), so, I applied to a Wake Forest school that takes me 20-25mins to drive and 45 on the school bus. Her education has been excellent all along, no matter the school or its rating.

Raising a child thru Wake Co schools now compared to going thru this with my other child yrs ago, well, it's world's apart. We weren't experiencing the type of growth we now deal with. Back then it was so simple. Now, for many parents it's an emotional issue, takes a lot of research to find the right place. Way to many variables to discuss here. I have decided to stop worrying about it and will wait and see what the new board does.

If you have questions after you do the research, feel free to send me a direct message if you need clarification, I'm happy to help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary