Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 05:16 AM

2 posts, read 4,471 times

Advertisements

Well I will be moving there this month. As a full time student and working part-time the rent is affordable for me. I visited the property two weeks ago. I had to wait an hour for my sister to pick me up and I sat outside for that hour and found the residents full of character. Many are on disability and it does indeed seem like a small village with a diverse population helping out when needed. I am known to turn a shack into a home and so I am looking forward to re-inventing the space I am given. I will call it it bugie seedy and will love it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 01:18 PM

93 posts, read 216,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
The neighborhood is indeed "seedy", which is a true shame because some of the houses back there on Ashe Avenue would be phenomenol if they were fixed up. They are also literally practically on top of the railroad tracks, I can't imagine the noise and that section of tracks is home to a fairly large homeless population.

I do have to say, however, I knew a girl in graduate school who lived in Pullen Park Loft and she never had a single problem.
I'm curious - have you driven down Ashe in the last few years? There's been quite a few houses that have been rehabbed, and I would definitely consider that a "gentrified" area. We looked at one house about 5 years ago that had been completely gutted, but the scope and neighborhood was a turnoff. Fast forward several years, and I'm amazed what the new owners were able to do with it and how things have turned around. The traffic down Ashe would definitely fall on the downside, but the housing stock is actually muuuuuch better these days.

While there are some sketchy people at PPL, it kind of goes with living downtown - there's all sorts everywhere. I know someone who lived there a couple of years and liked it just fine, no problems.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:54 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,844 times
I have heard that Pullen Park Lofts is actually a converted U-Store-It building (It sure looks the part.) Also, the city plans on eventually extending Morgan Street to Ashe which will go straight through there and require the demolition of Pullen Park Lofts.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:03 AM

527 posts, read 686,817 times
I'm a grad student. If you're looking for something that priced similarly, check BEHIND the NC State campus, like behind the Dunkin Donuts and stuff? Those places are nice, similar, and a teeny bit nicer.

Just make sure wherever you move, you watch out for yourself. I've had a few incidents in Raleigh simply due to me not paying attention to my surroundings.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:09 AM

3 posts, read 21,271 times
Wow...Pullen lofts? Seedy? Because there are people "hanging out" instead of "being productive?" Lol, whatever you guys say... Yes, some people hang out in their spare time, so what? The facts are, Pullen Lofts is located in an old part of town wedged right between the university, the downtown area, and some historic neighborhoods with properties in the ~$500k-$1M range (Boylan Heights, Cameron Village, etc). Right around that area, there are lots of apartments that are cheap in order to cater to the extensive student population, and for this reason they don't usually see a lot of extensive maintenance. And yes, lower income people and retirees live in these apartments too for the very same reason. And yes there is crime, not a lot, but yes, there is crime eminating from the area in and around the university. Don't leave stuff out at night. It will get stolen. Don't leave you're gps up on the windshield and park in a secluded area, or you will find your door window busted and your gps missing. Last but not least, don't go walking up through the university off of western blvd at night alone... that means dan allen drive, etc, or you could get robbed. Should you choose to do so in spite of this warning... if an SUV rolls up next to you and stops... run! Sign up for the university crime alert with the campus PD if youhavent already done so. I know all of this because I've lived in the area for years. Typical college neighborhood. Use commen sense and you will be ok.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:13 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
it's a 4 year old topic.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:38 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,728,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
it's a 4 year old topic.
...and paragraphs, or rather lack there of.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:23 PM

248 posts, read 494,922 times
Take complaints to City-Data if you don't like necrothreads. The issue is that when someone stumbles upon the forum who is not logged in (like a new user who found their way to a thread via a search), the forum often displays very old threads first. I'm guessing it has something to do with the way it chooses which ads to serve.

So unless Pullen Park Lofts has been torn down or something in the last 4 years, I don't see that it matters much that it's a revived necrothread. Its not as if there was so much vital info posted on a daily basis that old threads revisited somehow created a damaging distraction. It's better than having too many redundant threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary