Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 01:23 PM

20 posts, read 63,319 times

Advertisements

I'm getting married in May, and had originally planned on going to Greece. However, it looks like most flights from RDU are 2 stops, and the the 1-stop business class tickets are outrageously expensive (close to $4k each). Also, getting to the islands in Greece requires ferry rides, and I anticipate we'll be dead tired with a trip like that.

That said, we liked Greece because it would have been a good mix of relaxation and culture (as opposed to just the former, which would get boring). Are there any good islands or other locations within a reasonable distance that offer relatively non-tourist cultural attractions? I know the Bahamas are close, but those seem to be a bit too much on the beaten path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 01:28 PM

335 posts, read 801,151 times
My husband and I honeymooned at Dreams Tulum, which is in the Riviera Maya on the Mexican Caribbean coast. The flights are one stop (usually Charlotte or Miami) and there's a 1-hour van ride from Cancun airport to the resort, which is considerably easier than going all the way to Greece. It's stunningly beautiful, off the beaten path being far enough from Cancun, and would be very reasonable compared to flying to Europe. I know the concierge at Dreams Tulum pretty well. If you decide to go, send me a PM and I'll make sure he knows you guys are coming. They took very good care of us while we were there.

Edited to add: Oh yeah, there's Mayan culture as well. Dreams is right down the road from the Tulum ruins, considered by many to be the most picturesque in Mexico. And Paradise Beach, right next to the ruins, is where they film most of the Corona commercials. There's a bunch of other Mayan-themed places around as well like Xel-Ha and Xcaret.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:39 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,104,547 times
I went to Fiji, from Raleigh, for my honeymoon, so I can relate to being beat once you get there...4 flights, a bus and then a boat for 24 hours of travel...but it was SO worth it.

Trying to stay closer though, Tulum is fantastic! There are AI resorts and then some really cool, low-key beach bungalows so you can find a range of resort types there. The Mayan Riviera is pretty nice in general once you get outta Cancun. On the Pacific Coast of Mexico are some fantastic small lodges/resorts, and the resort town of Zihuatenajo is pretty highly regarded.

In the Caribbean, I'd also recommend Negril, Jamaica & St. Lucia for nice honeymoon spots. I've also heard great things about Nevis.

Last edited by mdp_az; 01-06-2010 at 02:00 PM..

Old 01-06-2010, 01:50 PM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,891 times
We are going to Maui. Here to Texas (3 hour flight) to Maui (8 hours)

Old 01-06-2010, 01:51 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,381 times
nothing specific to suggest, except that after your wedding, don't discount the value in doing nothing but "relaxing" with your new spouse.

maybe Hawaii?

Old 01-06-2010, 03:57 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,079,589 times
Another option is Bermuda ... you'll need to change planes in ATL, Boston or elsewhere but its only a half day of travel with the right connections.
We went again just last summer, left RDU at 8:30 AM and was at our B&B by 2:30PM. Tickets were around $350 each.

Since Bermuda is part of the UK it feels like you've left the country and is laid back enough that you get to relax.

Frank

Old 01-06-2010, 06:47 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
If you want to go to Greece, it's alway been very cheap to go from England. You could fly into London, spend a couple of days there, rest a day and then go on to Greece. Another place to go to rather than Greece but to stop at a European country (UK, Italy, etc) is to go to either Cyprus or Turkey. Both are popular Brit vacation places and so they are always advertising cheap pkgs from there. My sister goes all the time from the UK.

What about Latin America for a different pace? There are some beautiful countries reasonably priced. And either the British or US Virgin Islands for a peaceful laid back time. the Bermuda suggestion is good too! Can you maybe sail from Wilmington or Charleston?

Good luck, have fun!

PS- why don't you see what a travel agent can come up with for you?

Last edited by RaleighLass; 01-06-2010 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: add ps

Old 01-07-2010, 05:53 AM

494 posts, read 1,388,811 times
St. Lucia! Best kept secret in the lower antilles,breathtaking beauty,safe.Took us 6 61/2 hrs from NYC,from here I guess 5 ish.I have been to riviera maya,st. thomas,aruba,curacao,puerto rico.Dominican Republic,and St. Lucia blows them all away.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:00 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,816,202 times
Fly JetBlue to JFK from here and then go anywhere you want to. Make your Honeymoon plans based on a JFK departure. The round trip from RDU to JFK for two should cost either side of $400 and it's only a 1 hour trip.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:27 AM

169 posts, read 541,051 times
if you go the bermuda route I think it would be easier (and cheaper) to take a cruise rather than fly there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary