Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2010, 08:46 AM

476 posts, read 1,677,355 times

Advertisements

I wondered if you can tell me if this is a new trend (based on the economy) or is it a Wake County or North Carolina realtor custom?

One of my friends is listing her home and interviewing agents. One of the agents wants to charge her $450 upfront. The agent said if she sells her home she will get that back at "closing"... I have never heard of that! I am wondering if that is to cover her upfront costs of advertising, etc. We have bought and sold 4 homes in the past 10 years and not once has an agent asked us to pay him/her $ in advance.

My thoughts are that if you are willing to put your faith in that agent to market and sell your home (with a potential payout commission on a home priced well above $500K) they should be able to take the risk that they can sell it.

Is this something new trend, standard custom, local (Cary) thing or a scam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 08:48 AM

43,310 posts, read 77,154,614 times
All negotiable. Nothing is "standard" as far as fees go.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:56 AM

476 posts, read 1,677,355 times
Thanks Mike,

Why in this market would an agent ask for $ in advance? I know on the average it is taking longer to sell a home so more $ to market?

It just seems counter-intuitive in this market for an agent to ask for more when some agents are offering discounted commissions to get listings.

Thoughts?

Old 01-08-2010, 09:12 AM

447 posts, read 1,620,318 times
I've moved twice in 2003 and 2006 and never heard of paying a deposit. I think your friend could find a good realtor in this area that wouldn't charge a deposit.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:22 AM

43,310 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks2007 View Post
Thanks Mike,

Why in this market would an agent ask for $ in advance? I know on the average it is taking longer to sell a home so more $ to market?

It just seems counter-intuitive in this market for an agent to ask for more when some agents are offering discounted commissions to get listings.

Thoughts?
I surely can't answer for the agent, but there may be various reasons.

Is there a low commission that doesn't reward the agent on the back end for upfront costs, or the risk of expense without a sale?

Is the seller pressing for a higher listing price than the agent thinks is realistic? Maybe compensation for some expenses upfront is how the agent will agree to take a listing that may not sell.
I don't see it as a scam, as long as all contracted services are provided under the agreement and fee structure.
I do think as pressure on agent compensation continues, you will see more opportunities for a seller to incur costs upfront when listing, to shift the burden of expense from the agent to the client, to justify compensation levels.

OTOH, some fees exist just because the agent can collect them...
There was a court case on "transaction fees," or "Paperwork fees," wherein they were ruled excessive and unjustified under RESPA if the agent cannot itemize value-added services for which they are collected.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:33 AM

835 posts, read 3,979,056 times
Mike lays out a lot of good possibilities.

Could be that the agent is under capitalized. I admitedly don't know what all the set ups for a RE Agent is but if they pay for all their own marketing and have 10 listings at $500 each thats $5k out of pocket with the possibility of not recouping a dime if they don't sell.
If you find this is the reason you might want to continue to interview agents.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:58 PM

419 posts, read 1,398,039 times
Never heard of that but it's worth considering if the listing agent is willing to reduce their commision. It all depends on how the numbers work out. To pay a 6% commission and $500 up front would be nutty. If they were offering a 5% commission with $500 up front i'd go for it. Just make sure the home is priced appropriately and that the buyers agent gets their full commision.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:13 PM

335 posts, read 801,338 times
And if the house doesn't sell by the end of the contracted time period?

Old 01-08-2010, 01:53 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,100,766 times
With all the real estate agents in the world, I think it's crazy to go with someone asking for a deposit.

Anything could happen. What if there was a lost job? An accident? A change of mind? How easy would it be to get your deposit back?

Why bother? Just find someone else.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:51 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,254,457 times
Most sellers would object to an upfront fee because it isn't "customary" in our area.

In the buyer's agreement contract, there is a blank space that can be filled in where as the buyer pays a "retainer" fee for their Realtor. I jokenly told some clients of mine that "I usually put $1,000 as a retainer fee" and they agreed! I was kidding but I wonder how many agents do charge their buyers a retainer fee? I guess if gas keeps going up in price...maybe it will be a good idea!!!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary