Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 03:43 PM

75 posts, read 336,170 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm moving to Cary this summer and would like input on which bank is better for basic checking / savings, and also which one has more ATM locations and branches in and around Cary........Bank of America or Wachovia?

I've read other postings on this forum about credit unions and smaller mom & pop banks in the Raleigh-Durham area. I'm not interested in those. I just need input / opinions on the services offered and, more importantly, the accessibility of Bank of America vs. Wachovia.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 03:55 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
I would say since Wachovia and First Union merged, its much easier to find Wachovia on every corner! Doesn't seem to be nearly as many Bank of Americas in North Raleigh or Cary.

Vicki

Old 05-23-2007, 04:33 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
^Yes what Vicki says is true, I came up here with Bank of America and there are probably twice as many Wachovia ATM's nearby than BoA.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:36 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,694,803 times
I went with BOA b/c of the fact that they are also more readily available in other states I visit as well. Something to keep in mind

Old 05-24-2007, 07:21 AM

850 posts, read 3,625,969 times
We went with Wachovia and haven't been sorry. A new branch opened here where I live in Clayton on 70 and there are ATMS all over. Plus the services can't be beat. We opened our accounts at the branch in Cary on Kildaire and if I call for some reason,they still remember us.

Lauren
PS...I recall doing some research online and didn't like the complaints about Bank of America though I'm sure ther are those complaints to be found about every bank.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:47 AM

141 posts, read 675,303 times
I went with Wachovia since there are more ATMs in my area. Also, they give you a lot of added bonuses (maybe BOA does this too), like free safe deposit box, interest bearing checking, etc, if you maintain a certain balance.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:10 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Default True and truer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren4521 View Post
We went with Wachovia and haven't been sorry. A new branch opened here where I live in Clayton on 70 and there are ATMS all over. Plus the services can't be beat. We opened our accounts at the branch in Cary on Kildaire and if I call for some reason,they still remember us.

Lauren
PS...I recall doing some research online and didn't like the complaints about Bank of America though I'm sure ther are those complaints to be found about every bank.
Bank of America has a superior on-line offering. They're also located throughout North America. Additionally, they offer an on-line only banking option which allows you to establish yourself easily enough before relocating to the Triangle.

Wachovia is an excellent choice as well and does offer more Triangle locations. However post-merger they're likely to continue to consolidate branches so that shouldn't be weighted too much in your decision making.

I recently did this very same side-by-side comparison and felt that BoA was a clear winner based on my criteria.

As for the complaints about BoA I will tell you that two very close friends of mine have been banking with BoA for several years and consider it to be the best bank they've used.... without any complaints.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:21 AM

823 posts, read 3,923,062 times
I just had to make this choice this morning and picked Wachovia because their senior account with many "free" items required a lower balance ($1000) than Bank of America's ($5000) or BB&T. They are all online so you can compare the various checking accounts, etc. easily.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:49 AM

578 posts, read 3,081,572 times
Note that BoA also has a no-lender-fee mortgage available. And once you sign a mortgage with them you're golden for any other business with them including their higher end accounts. That and the fact I could setup accounts in NY and migrate to NC with a bank in hand was the reason I chose them.

Their online system does seem very feature rich including pulling funds electronically from accounts at external financial institutions.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:11 AM

75 posts, read 336,170 times
Thanks for the good advice. After reading the postings, I started leaning toward Wachovia....b/c they seem to be more accessible. But then I checked out their websites. Wachovia's online offerings definitely seem to be a bit more antiquated than BoA. (Then again, I'm in IT, so I have a keen eye for good vs. not as good GUI's)

A few of you have pointed how good BoA's online services are. I've never paid bills online, but I plan to start doing so when I set up my new account. Does anyone have any good/bad opinions on either BoA's or Wachovia's online bill paying services? Any technical limitations, or things that make you go "ARRGH!".....?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary