Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2007, 10:18 PM

56 posts, read 333,556 times

Advertisements

Know the real estate people can't answer this if they are your rep or the rep of a property they have listed so I guess I am asking residents or "others in the know". It appears to me that the Charleston Home area of Bedford has very few children compared to the Orleans, Drees and other center hall colonial type neighborhoods. Is this an accurate observation or is it just the times I have been there are very quiet? Also, is there a plan for the open space on what I would call boulevards like Hopeton. Seems like there should be trees and gardens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 06:51 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tentonc View Post
Know the real estate people can't answer this if they are your rep or the rep of a property they have listed so I guess I am asking residents or "others in the know". It appears to me that the Charleston Home area of Bedford has very few children compared to the Orleans, Drees and other center hall colonial type neighborhoods. Is this an accurate observation or is it just the times I have been there are very quiet? Also, is there a plan for the open space on what I would call boulevards like Hopeton. Seems like there should be trees and gardens.
Know the real estate people can't answer this if they are your rep or the rep of a property they have listed

Why not??? Do you mean they can't or they "won't" ?
if they know, why wouldn't they tell you? (Shouldn't be hard to find out about kids in the neighborhood just by asking the owner of the listed house...or knock on some of the other doors and have a chat with the neighbors about the neighborhood - I've been known to do that). As for plans for the open space, the agent should be able to find out. Maybe the HOA knows, or there's something in the covenants about that.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:29 AM

Default can't by law I think???????????

If I am wrong and real estate people can help with the kid question please do jump in and speak! Also they could look at us and figure out what we would like to hear. Having bought and sold ten times I prefer to not know my buyers or my sellers. Even have attorney do closings and do not attend!

Old 05-22-2007, 07:58 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Know the real estate people can't answer this if they are your rep or the rep of a property they have listed

Why not??? Do you mean they can't or they "won't" ?
if they know, why wouldn't they tell you? (Shouldn't be hard to find out about kids in the neighborhood just by asking the owner of the listed house...or knock on some of the other doors and have a chat with the neighbors about the neighborhood - I've been known to do that). As for plans for the open space, the agent should be able to find out. Maybe the HOA knows, or there's something in the covenants about that.
We can't.
That verges on discrimination against a protected class, or even steering, and is not a material fact regarding to a property.
Do agents do it all the time? Sure. But you have to ask, if they are not versed in Fair Housing law, what else do they not know.
I need my license for the long haul, and try very hard to avoid discriminatory conversations.
We sell houses and land and focus on those things and material facts surrounding them.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:02 PM

18 posts, read 58,290 times
I find that to be an interesting quirk in the law, as I can't fathom it being even considered discriminatory but so be it I guess. I'm sure that the families with children wouldn't want a curmudgeon living and complaining about their kids next to them either. LOL

Old 05-24-2007, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpat50 View Post
I find that to be an interesting quirk in the law, as I can't fathom it being even considered discriminatory but so be it I guess. I'm sure that the families with children wouldn't want a curmudgeon living and complaining about their kids next to them either. LOL
Hi, seanpat! Hey! Keep those little buggers off my lawn!
Familial status is a protected class within the Fair Housing Act. It is illegal to discriminate based on family status.

It is more than a quirk. We can't count kids in the neighborhood to tell you there are any, not too many, a lot, or whatever.

Safest thing for any agent who cares to keep their license and not pay hefty fines is to avoid discussions of "family friendly towns or areas," and any questions regarding the make-up of families within an area.

Best to sell real estate than to dabble in social engineering.

Quick synopsis:
http://law.jrank.org/pages/6721/Fair...-Act-1968.html

From HUD:
http://www.hud.gov/offices/fheo/FHLaws/yourrights.cfm

Old 05-24-2007, 06:46 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpat50 View Post
Why is it someone that doesn't want to deal with children is considered a 'curmdgeon'? Rather rude really.

I just wish kids would stay out of my yard (they have their own) not scream outside until 10 o'clock at night and pick up their darn bikes and toys from teh sidewalk in front of their home so others could use it.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:49 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Why is it someone that doesn't want to deal with children is considered a 'curmdgeon'? Rather rude really.

I just wish kids would stay out of my yard (they have their own) not scream outside until 10 o'clock at night and pick up their darn bikes and toys from teh sidewalk in front of their home so others could use it.
I would have to say it makes me happy to live on a culdesac with only one neighbor, no kids for them. The parents should also get in trouble for NOT making their kids clean the stuff up! In my house you don't clean it up it is gone!

Leigh

Old 05-24-2007, 10:04 PM

Default narrow little world....

......now why would one jump to the conclusion that one seeking a neighborhood with adults perhaps over 35 hates children??????????? maybe finding friends of like age and interests without having to surrender to a "retirement village"?????????? hmmmmmmmmmmm think about it.

Old 05-25-2007, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentonc View Post
......now why would one jump to the conclusion that one seeking a neighborhood with adults perhaps over 35 hates children??????????? maybe finding friends of like age and interests without having to surrender to a "retirement village"?????????? hmmmmmmmmmmm think about it.
ten2,
Now, I know you have heard about the obesity problem in the United States.
Well, for some folks jumping to conclusions is an aerobic workout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary