Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,694 times

Advertisements

Can anyone in the forums help?

I have been looking for work for over a year since graduating. I have been working in a part-role since, but every month, I dig deeper into my savings and have no alternative plan for when I run out(soon).

I recently received my MBA from NCSU and have a background in things such as Journalism, Marketing, Event Planning, Media Relations and Renewable Energy Marketing. Sending resumes out into the black hole of the internet no matter how qualified you are for a position has proven to be an enormous waste of time.

I prefer to work in a role promoting sustainability, however, the more time goes by the fewer my preferences seem to matter. I would welcome any role with potential for advancement. Salary requirements are virtually nonexistent(hate to admit that) because anything above $30k would be an improvement.

Does anyone know of any positions that I may be interested in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 12:59 PM

335 posts, read 801,036 times
Have you tried using the services of a recruiter?

Old 01-19-2010, 01:19 PM

754 posts, read 1,693,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinidad16 View Post
Sending resumes out into the black hole of the internet no matter how qualified you are for a position has proven to be an enormous waste of time.
This is still the Internet.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:07 PM

149 posts, read 431,620 times
Is it safe to assume you belong to and are attending meetings of local associations (like AMA) in order to build your network.

In the same vein, are you on LinkedIn? Is your profile optimized? Are you linking to headhunters so they can easily search their list of contacts for a skillset and find you?

Have you delved into the NCSU MBA alumni network?

Old 01-19-2010, 06:09 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinidad16 View Post
Journalism, Marketing, Event Planning, Media Relations and Renewable Energy Marketing.
Well the first 4 are for all intents and purposes dead industries in this environment (economy) and as for the last job you might want to consider moving to TX or some other state with renewable energy projects going on. NC isn't exactly a hot bed of renewable energy.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:38 PM

881 posts, read 2,253,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckdisc View Post
Is it safe to assume you belong to and are attending meetings of local associations (like AMA) in order to build your network.

In the same vein, are you on LinkedIn? Is your profile optimized? Are you linking to headhunters so they can easily search their list of contacts for a skillset and find you?

Have you delved into the NCSU MBA alumni network?
Agree - also are you checking ncsu's epack? I just happened to look for full time entry level positions in the triangle and saw a few that may work. Maybe you need to talk with the career center to come up with a new plan.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:36 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,243 times
Agreed. You should either be moving to another part of the country - or better yet to another country - or considering starting your own business that offers something unique and valuable.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:08 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
Yeah, it's easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Agreed. You should either be moving to another part of the country - or better yet to another country - or considering starting your own business that offers something unique and valuable.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:17 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Yeah, it's easy.
The results would be better than pursuing dead ends like this forum is practically guaranteed to be.

Nothing in life is easy.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:31 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,059,808 times
I have an MBA and I'm afraid that degree isn't worth as much as it used to be. I have no regrets about getting one, but it hasn't helped my job search.

I'd recommend using indeed.com and ventureloop.com. Indeed searches many different web sites for jobs. Ventureloop especially focused on small, venture funded companies. For green jobs you might consider CREE. They don't focus on renewable energy per se, but they are working on low power products that save energy. SAS in Cary has a lot of people from NC State and that might be a good company to focus on in the areas of marketing, etc. If you want to focus on sustainability, check out Vestas. They have jobs in the US and overseas. One of my classmates is currently in a manager training program in Vienna. I wish I were there!

It's true that you should be willing to move out of the area to get a job, but consider that many other areas are experiencing the same unemployment as we are. In my experience, it's *much* easier to network and find jobs in the area where you went to school. I lived in California for a while and have two degrees from schools outside of California. I found it difficult (but not impossible) to use my alumni network because most of them were back in Oregon or Illinois and not California. Before deciding to move, I would check with your alumni center about networking events, alumni job center etc. I realize you might already have tried these, but they are the first things that come to mind. I think you'll have a much better time finding work in North Carolina with so many alumni in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary