Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 05:59 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Just to clerify...the state did not pass a $1 billion bond, it was Wake county that passed it. The voters will most likley also approve another $1 billion bond in a couple of years. The growth issue will get better in Wake county as the schools get built. I was a product of the Fairfax County school system in VA and most schools had trailers there too and it's considered one of the best school systems in the country and rivals anything they have in the Northeast.
Right.

Mobile classroom upheaval has more to do with fragile parental egos than with education.
Kids want to learn and they do learn when LEARNING is important, when tangential factors are not the focus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 06:27 AM

42 posts, read 190,052 times
Default Don't regret it one bit....

I think I say, "I'm so glad we moved here!" to my husband at least 4-5 times a week. We moved to NC from out of state, but we originally lived in a more rural area of the state. The Raleigh area is a much better fit for us.

We are teachers, and we love our schools/jobs. The resources we have are amazing, the students and parents are easy to work with (okay, 99% of them), the PTAs are very supportive, and we enjoy our year-round calendar.

While some people avoid Wake County because of the schools, we came for the schools. From this teacher's perspective, it's the best place to be in NC.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:38 AM

709 posts, read 935,436 times
The trailers are really fine. Little houses. I like teaching in them, less noise, no hallway issues. No administrators walking all the way down the back of the school to visit your room!!

Kinda in a world of your own teaching in a trailer on the high school level.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:46 AM

119 posts, read 355,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grifter View Post
Everyone has their own definition of paradise, so whether you like living in Raleigh or not depends largely on your individual preferences.

I moved to Raleigh from New Jersey a year ago, and I do regret it for two reasons. First, I moved too far away from my friends and family, so am feeling very homesick. Second, finding a job here has proven far more difficult than I had imagined. If you are in IT, there are tons of jobs, but coming from the consumer products and specialty retailer industry, there are very few companies here for me to choose from. While I have had some opportunities to switch industries, doing so would result in a paycut that is far deeper than the cost of living difference.

Raleigh is very beautiful. It is clean, green, safe, and you just can't beat the climate here. If I were married and had children, this is exactly the kind of place I would want to raise them (school system woes aside). The downside is that as metro areas go, Raleigh is very spread out, and the city itself is pretty, but lacks personality.
I echo just about everything in this post (although I'm not looking for a job, but my brother is--and has been since April!). I do have a 2-yr-old son and have very big concerns about the school system (and I'm a teacher). This area lacks personality, charm, character, whatever you'd like to call it, but it is reasonably safe, the housing costs/taxes are very affordable, and people here do seem to be a lot kinder and laid-back.

Still, I've been having trouble adjusting to the fact that there's not a great variety of things to do here within a short driving distance (i.e. hour to hour and a half)...it's just kind of 'blah.' If we could afford to move to an area that offered a lot more variety in terms of things to do (several museums, live w/in an hour of the beach and zoo, lots of kid-oriented excursions close-by) we would. Our move here was purely financially-driven. My son has some special needs and I need to be able to stay home with him for his therapies and such. We never would've been able to afford for me to do that where we lived originally. This area is serving our purposes now, but when my son is school-aged (and I can then go back to work), we will likely move closer to our home state and near the amenities and opportunities we are accustomed to.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:09 AM

237 posts, read 757,243 times
Let me preface my comments by saying that we are not full time residents yet, but can't wait to be. We are moving from upstate NY next June. We have two boys who will be in the Raleigh- Wake county school system. Although I have posted concerns on other threads regarding our base middle school, I would still say that we are very comfortable with our decision to move to Raleigh. We are in a very rural area in NY. Although the countryside is lovely ( would remind you a little of Clayton) it also is too removed from modern conveniences. Our boys have been country kids. Yet our 13 year old is noticing the difference between some of his friends whose parents don't take their kids to restaurants or travel and him. He was ready to make this move before high school and that factored heavily in our move. I can sympathize with NC people who are not pleased about us transplants coming in and changing things. We are moving from where we are because we are getting an element in that is not changing our area for the better. On the northerners side, I think from what I have seen so far, most of us moving to NC are doing so because we share similar core values with residents and want a better quality of life for our children. There is money that is being brought in to the area and as some say, the school system is struggling to keep up. My perspective is at least the school system recognizes their responsibility and is willing to make the necessary changes to advance. For us, we wanted to leave the remoteness factor where we live and are one of those families in a development. It is not for everyone. I can say thoough that I think it would be difficult not to find an area in NC that could make you happy. Chapel Hill is lovely. It was just a bit too artsy for us. To be fair, we only had a few days there. I think we will be spending time there ( for any northern NYers, it would remind you a little of Woodstock). We not only had to consider middle/high schools, but are looking at college coming up in 4 years. There is so much to offer in NC. My son asked me last night if I thought we made a mistake with our decision because of what we have to handle with the middle school situation and I said absolutely not. There is no eutopia. However, I can't imagine another spot in the country that could offer folks as much as NC. For our new friends, I hope to post some pictures this week of where we are (one the storms blow over) just to show you what we are leaving behind. I agree that one downfall is that you aren't close enough to a beach, but I think it's a small price to pay for everything else you gain. Spend the time looking around and ask questions before making a decision. Best of luck.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:53 AM

18 posts, read 91,108 times
I'm posting, knowing I'll be bashed for giving my honest opinion, but here goes. My family regrets moving here, and are looking forward to leaving at the end of the year. Aside from the culture shock, there is a lack of infrastructure that is shocking. With no actual competition for public utilities the two monopolies Progress Energy and PSNC are free to charge what they'd like--you can't switch gas companies there aren't any others. (I about stroked when I saw my first gas bill--for the month of August!) The citizens of Raleigh consistently complain about traffic problems--when the problem is'nt traffic it's a lack of freeways, toll-roads or any other means to get from Point A to Point B without stopping every block for a stoplight that isn't synchronized for high traffic periods. There is absolutely nothing going on in Raleigh, aside from the occassional concert or the yearly state fair (and of course the farmer's market). If you are looking for any signs of culture you are consistently pointed to Chapel Hill (population 24,000). If you are looking for nightlife you are pointed to Chapel Hill or Durham (again, not Raleigh). If you're looking for something to do on the weekend you're pointed to the beaches and mountains (all within a 2 hour drive of Raleigh). The schools are not that great, we moved to North Raleigh to place our daughter into what Wake County considered their "top" high school. My daughter is enrolled in all of their 9th grade AP classes (and is having to re-read To Kill a Mockingbird, a book she read in the 7th grade and The Odessy she read in the 8th grade!!!!!!)).

Is it pretty here? Yes, but it's pretty in thousands of other towns too. Are the people here nice? Some are, some are not. Mostly we've found that if you don't like living here you should keep it to yourself, people here do not take criticism too kindly! I think it all comes down to what you are looking for and what type person you are. It is NOT for my family. But, could be for yours. If you chose to move here and want quite, very quite, rural America, then, Welcome HOME! But, if you want to move to North Carolina and have something to do move Chapel Hill (ha), Ashville, or to Topsail, Kure or one of the other beach cities. If you want something to do and a job to pay for it, move to Chicago, Dallas, San Francisco, or Denver, not Raleigh, NC. This is a town for retirees, college students (those who have applied and been accepted into one of the three local universities--not college-aged kids wanting to live somewhere hip), or people wanting to raise their kids in a very quite town. If you fit into one of these categories this will be the utopia you are looking for.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:04 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
Brenda, I just wanted to say that I, for one, feel no need to bash you. The Triangle isn't for everyone. And yes, if you need to have the sort of ammenities found in a big city like Chicago, you will not be happy here. My husband and I feel that there is plenty to do, but we also come from similarly-sized towns, so there was no culture-shock for us.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:12 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenda9417 View Post
I'm posting, knowing I'll be bashed for giving my honest opinion, but here goes. My family regrets moving here, and are looking forward to leaving at the end of the year. Aside from the culture shock, there is a lack of infrastructure that is shocking. With no actual competition for public utilities the two monopolies Progress Energy and PSNC are free to charge what they'd like--you can't switch gas companies there aren't any others. (I about stroked when I saw my first gas bill--for the month of August!) The citizens of Raleigh consistently complain about traffic problems--when the problem is'nt traffic it's a lack of freeways, toll-roads or any other means to get from Point A to Point B without stopping every block for a stoplight that isn't synchronized for high traffic periods. There is absolutely nothing going on in Raleigh, aside from the occassional concert or the yearly state fair (and of course the farmer's market). If you are looking for any signs of culture you are consistently pointed to Chapel Hill (population 24,000). If you are looking for nightlife you are pointed to Chapel Hill or Durham (again, not Raleigh). If you're looking for something to do on the weekend you're pointed to the beaches and mountains (all within a 2 hour drive of Raleigh). The schools are not that great, we moved to North Raleigh to place our daughter into what Wake County considered their "top" high school. My daughter is enrolled in all of their 9th grade AP classes (and is having to re-read To Kill a Mockingbird, a book she read in the 7th grade and The Odessy she read in the 8th grade!!!!!!)).

Is it pretty here? Yes, but it's pretty in thousands of other towns too. Are the people here nice? Some are, some are not. Mostly we've found that if you don't like living here you should keep it to yourself, people here do not take criticism too kindly! I think it all comes down to what you are looking for and what type person you are. It is NOT for my family. But, could be for yours. If you chose to move here and want quite, very quite, rural America, then, Welcome HOME! But, if you want to move to North Carolina and have something to do move Chapel Hill (ha), Ashville, or to Topsail, Kure or one of the other beach cities. If you want something to do and a job to pay for it, move to Chicago, Dallas, San Francisco, or Denver, not Raleigh, NC. This is a town for retirees, college students (those who have applied and been accepted into one of the three local universities--not college-aged kids wanting to live somewhere hip), or people wanting to raise their kids in a very quite town. If you fit into one of these categories this will be the utopia you are looking for.
No need to bash you...but didn't you do your research before you moved here? I don't know anyone that pretends Raleigh is Chicago or San Fransisco! One is set up for failure here if one thinks it is.

Don't get me wrong...I love Topsail (going there for Thanksgiving even)...but you think there is more to do there then in Raleigh? You aren't looking around Raleigh then. Topsail is a small, small beach town...a few restaurants and boutiques. There certainly aren't symphonies on the beach.

I do agree with the the books they read in class...they aren't always the most challenging or even interesting...but I do believe those are based from the state curriculum...and let's face it, there are areas of NC that those books are challenges for that grade. I just make sure that my child has plenty of other opportunities to read.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:20 AM

2 posts, read 4,527 times
Arrow Anyone Regret Moving to Raleigh/Cary

After retiring from the Air Force, my husband and I moved to Apex, North Carolina. I don't regret the decision. Since I grew up in North Carolina and I have one living parent who resides in Wilmington, and a sister in High Point, North Carolina, I was very happy to return to the state after being away for 20+ years. In returning, the area (Raleigh, Cary, Apex, Durham, Chapel Hill) has experienced tremendous growth. With growth, people face increasing populations that impact the educational, job, and housing arenas. The Air Force gave me the opportunity to live and work all over the world and in various states in the United States. I am very happy being back in North Carolina. Despite the changes that have resulted from growth, I am still happy about residing in Apex, and I look forward to serving again by teaching students. I complete my licensure in special education this spring.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:15 AM

119 posts, read 355,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Brenda, I just wanted to say that I, for one, feel no need to bash you. The Triangle isn't for everyone. And yes, if you need to have the sort of ammenities found in a big city like Chicago, you will not be happy here. My husband and I feel that there is plenty to do, but we also come from similarly-sized towns, so there was no culture-shock for us.
You make a very good point. It is very difficult for *some* people (my husband has adjusted just fine, but I have not, so go figure) to adjust if they come from a big metropolitan area. If you come from a town that is of similar size and that offers similar amenities, you will likely be pleased with what you find here.

I grew up in a very, very small town (the post office was in our neighbor's house ), but then when I finished college I lived in a suburb of a major metropolitan area and loved it so much. Still, considering my upbringing I honestly thought the adjustment to living here would be no big deal. I guess I didn't know myself as well as I thought. Living here, if nothing else, has afforded me the opportunity to do some soul-searching and figure out exactly what it is I want out of where I live---things I'd never given much thought in my younger years. Now that I have a child, it's a whole different ball-game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary