Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 07:13 AM

169 posts, read 574,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimei88 View Post
Thank you so much for the reply! I totally agree with you that Math is taught differently now. I am very aware of that since I also have a 2nd grader at home. But I have to say that my little one already understand almost all the math concepts introduced in my 2nd grader's math materials. He enjoyed doing his big brother's math homework. That is the level he is in right now. Since there is still half year to go before he will be enrolled in kindergarten, I try to educate myself to make the best decision for him. Should I consider a private school? If I put him in the public school (like my older son), will he get the attention and learning materials which suits his level? As a mother, I want my kid to have a head start in his life long journey of learning and enjoy it. Thnaks again for all the input!
If you have a 2nd grader then you may want to talk to his teacher/school about what options will be available for your kindergartner. From the services I've seen gifted kids (including my own) receive in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro district, I don't know what advantage a private school would give your younger son. But I suppose it depends on the teachers and school that you're in. And even though your kindergartner is advanced in math, there are so many other things that he will be learning when he enters school - reading, social studies, foreign language, art, music, science as well as non-academic things like the routine of a classroom and how to get along in a larger group of kids. So remember to look at the big picture of what he will be learning - it's not just math and reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 06:48 AM

57 posts, read 168,096 times
I will be the voice of dissent here, and say I would not supplement at home if you plan on keeping him in public school. He is going to be bored out of his mind. I also would not enroll him early or have him skip grades, as he will not be emotionally ready for that. I would find a good private school or homeschool. Teachers in public schools can accomodate groups, this is how AIG is done - in clusters, but they cannot accomodate individuals.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:51 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,534,136 times
(insert sarcastic tone here)

Just go ahead an enroll him in MIT.

(end sarcastic tone)

As a previous poster stated, there are other subjects that are taught that you child will not be bored with. There are bored kids in class everyday for different reasons. It will be okay. Classes really start to go seperate ways in 7th and 8th grade. For the first years I would just make sure he is learning and supplement with things not taught in school. Math is only 1 hour of the school day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary