Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 07:19 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times

Advertisements

Whether direct or indirect, I have read many posts bemoaning development and focus on DT Raleigh. What I'd like to do here is map out why everyone in Wake County should be supporting it.

For DT residents, the reasons are probably the most obvious. Development brings more urban variety and quality of urban life DT. Frankly, isn't that what DT dwellers want? Higher quality of urban life will also result in return on investment for DT homeowners.

For suburban Raleigh residents, the reasons are probably not as obvious. But, bear with me as I make my case. DT development provides more revenues per acre for the city than does suburban development. In addition, DT development does not place as much demand on expansion of infrastructure and services that are mostly already in place. DT makes up but 1% of the land area of Raleigh but provides 7% of the revenues. How is that possible you might ask? Well, let's take my building as an example. It sits on 1 acre of land DT and has 83 condos that average in value at about $350,000. Therefore, the city of Raleigh and Wake Co. are getting tax revenues on over 29 million dollars of RE for that one acre of land. That money is used to support the infrastructure across the entire city. Essentially, you can say that tax revenues from urban development subsidizes less urban areas of the city whose residential RE typically generates much less revenue per acre. This will become particularly important to surburban areas as their infrastructure ages and needs more maintenance than it needs today. If we don't create high density revenue generating areas within the city limits, more burden for that maintenance will fall to suburban homeowners.

For those in the county that enjoy their quiet and rural lifestyle, the more that we push development DT, the less likely you are going to be surrounded by new suburban development. While it might not ultimately prevent the sprawl from happening somewhere down the road, it can certainly slow down the rate of lost acreage to cookie cutter neighborhoods. Urabanization of other areas of Raleigh (and Cary for that matter) can also contribute to reducing the sprawl of the city. Everyone in the "country" parts of Wake Co. should want the city of Raleigh to set a goal of 4000+ People/Sq.Mile.

For the entire city and county, more focus on DT will result in more things to do and a greater quality of life for all citizens. As Metros grow, their DT's become more important and future citizens expect more out of them. In the end, these creative engines at the core of any metro have the ability to attract industry, increase property values and retain the most creative and intelligent of its citizenry that will continue to make the area economically viable and relevant over the coming decades.

Last edited by rnc2mbfl; 02-11-2010 at 08:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 07:31 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
Let me be the first to respond by saying that while I am a resident of North Raleigh I fully support downtown Raleigh Development. I work downtown and see the great benefits the recent progress continue to bring to our area. There will always be naysayers, but the key to keeping the Triangle a thriving area will be to invest in downtown Raleigh and Durham. To do otherwise is extremely shortsighted IMHO.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:44 PM

93 posts, read 229,525 times
Couldn't care less if they develop DT Raleigh or not. Just hope they leave DT Pittsboro the way it is.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:50 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Why must density (which seems to be what you're talking about) be limited to the downtown area?

Old 02-11-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Why must density (which seems to be what you're talking about) be limited to the downtown area?
It shouldn't be but it's the logical first place to start in Wake County. If you re-read my post, I mention that urbanization should be encouraged in other parts of Raleigh (and Cary).

Old 02-11-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottery Collector View Post
Couldn't care less if they develop DT Raleigh or not. Just hope they leave DT Pittsboro the way it is.
Actually, you should care because having only a sprawling suburban model for the CSA will eventually catch up to you in Pittsboro.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:45 PM

4,164 posts, read 4,876,880 times
I despise going into downtown Raleigh and only do so when called for jury duty. Personally I think Raleigh leaders are putting too much focus on downtown development projects instead of investing equally in improving all parts of Raleigh including those areas outside the downtown area.

I understand why those who live and work downtown have different opinions that are more supportive of downtown development than those of us who rarely step foot in the downtown area.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:51 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Personally I think Raleigh leaders are putting too much focus on downtown development projects instead of investing equally in improving all parts of Raleigh including those areas outside the downtown area.

Until recently downtown was largely ignored for well over thirty years while countless hundreds of millions have been pumped into the suburbs of Raleigh. What is going on now in DT Raleigh is a drop in the bucket by comparison.

On a scale of where more money has been spent over time the areas outside of downtown have already gotten their fair share several times over.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Until recently downtown was largely ignored for well over thirty years while countless hundreds of millions have been pumped into the suburbs of Raleigh. What is going on now in DT Raleigh is a drop in the bucket by comparison.

On a scale of where more money has been spent over time the areas outside of downtown have already gotten their fair share several times over.
Can I have an Amen? AMEN!
We certainly didn't hear complaints for decades while NOTHING was being spent downtown. All of a sudden, the suburbs are victims.

What I don't understand is the inabilility of people to understand that DT development and its ability to significantly increase the city's tax revenues will actually help the suburban areas of the city for years to come. Simply put, Raleigh cannot expand indefinitely. It has too many municipalities surrounding it that have already gobbled up much of the land. Raleigh has to find future revenue sources with a limited amount of land. Maximizing the opportunities helps everyone. If we don't densify the city in logical areas, future tax rates will skyrocket. For example, if we can add 100,000 people within our current limits, we can generate more revenues and slow the increase in tax rates for everyone.

Alas, the system won't let me give you a rep point until I spread them around some more. Sorry! :-)

Old 02-12-2010, 03:25 AM

932 posts, read 3,097,393 times
Here's another AMEN!

I love going downtown. I absolutely love the changes that have been made over the past few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary