Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 08:00 AM

959 posts, read 4,492,274 times

Advertisements

I'm googling trying to figure out what GPS to get. I'm getting interested in a Garmin that comes with a built in FM TMC traffic/construction detecting system. The website shows there is coverage for the triangle. If you have it (or know someone who does) is it useful? Is there another system that would be better recommended? Also does anyone know the monthly fee? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 01:00 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I have a Garmin GPS. I paid about $500 for it, on sale. Without it, I'd STAY lost! I don't pay a monthly fee. Most of my clients that see how "she" works, run right out and buy one! Garmin should be paying me a referral fee!!! Vicki

Old 05-30-2007, 01:17 PM

Thanks Vicki Does yours give traffic and construction updates and if so are they helpful?

Old 05-30-2007, 01:27 PM

If it does all that...I have no idea! Hubby sets it so all I have to do is put in the address and she gets me there! He even has it set so after I'm done showing clients around, I just hit "Go Home" and its gets me there too! I'm somewhat directionally challenged!!! One of my clients did tell me that he bought his at Costco or Sam's. I had no idea they had them.

Vicki

Old 05-30-2007, 02:02 PM

560 posts, read 2,848,734 times
I own a Garmin Nuvi 660 and love it.

You will find that the POI's are a bit out of whack. In other words you might search for an Applebee's in the area and "find" one but when you get there you no it's not right because you are in the middle of a residential neighborhood. You will also find yourself on roads that the GPS does not recognize and the GPS will try to take you down roads that do not exsist. This is all due to the fact that the Triangle is growing at a pace that the mapping folks can not keep up with.

The traffic receiver and FM transmitter works pretty well. There is coverage for the Triangle area, just keep in mind, that the GPS will only tell you about traffic and construction that it knows about and it only knows what the local transmitters tell it.

The FM transmitter works as well as your stereo's FM receiver will allow it to. Once you find a good station to transmit to it will work real nice until you get close to that frequency's radio transmitter, then it is time to move the dial. My GPS will use the traffic receiver to find a weak station for you so you can tune your radio to pick up your GPS FM transmission. This is great because you can transmit the GPS audio output over the air to your stereo and listen to the turn by turns which will simply pause the internal mp3 player and then start it up again after the instruction.

If you plan on using this in more than one car please do yourself a favor and buy a suction cup holder for each car as they tend to get beat up when you try to switch them in and out. I just trashed my original and bought two new ones after less than a year for this reason.

The traffic subscription is like $60 a year or something like that, the first three months are free though.

That should about cover it let me know if you want to know anything else about the Nuvi 660, which I saw at BJs for under $700 by the way.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:22 PM

Thanks for all the info! I have a dell coupon I need to spend soon so was thinking of using it for a gps I love navigating and looking at maps in general, but I drive around a LOT and it's tricksy trying to reroute while driving and hoping the red light will last long enough for you to examine the map

Old 05-30-2007, 02:50 PM

56 posts, read 333,461 times
Default improvisation............

.............that she does do, like last week I put in a Cary Pkwy SE addy and she changed it to NW and told me the Dr. office was a forest. I put it in again just to make sure I wasn't suffering from insanity and again she changed it. She does not know many of the newer roads like the one we are considering as a home address. What we do is put in an older road name or address that is nearby. Bypass 264 does not exist for her either. A newer card is over $100. so with all the changes going on here we are going to wait a little longer.

Overall she has enabled us to get around much more easily than we have in past moves. I highly recommend getting one. Another big PLUS is fewer "disagreements" with spouse while trying to find our way!

Old 05-30-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentonc View Post
.............that she does do, like last week I put in a Cary Pkwy SE addy and she changed it to NW and told me the Dr. office was a forest. I put it in again just to make sure I wasn't suffering from insanity and again she changed it. She does not know many of the newer roads like the one we are considering as a home address. What we do is put in an older road name or address that is nearby. Bypass 264 does not exist for her either. A newer card is over $100. so with all the changes going on here we are going to wait a little longer.

Overall she has enabled us to get around much more easily than we have in past moves. I highly recommend getting one. Another big PLUS is fewer "disagreements" with spouse while trying to find our way!
But have you actually had arguements OUT LOUD with your GPS?!!
Vicki

Old 05-30-2007, 04:07 PM

56 posts, read 333,461 times
Default wellll...

some choice words have fallen on her head a time or two!

Old 05-30-2007, 04:58 PM

24 posts, read 72,605 times
Do any of these gps come with some other way to attach them to one's car then that suction cup thing? I can't get that to stick on my windshield, in a place I can actually see the bugger. I was even thinking of some way to perm attach it to the dashboard, or something. Anyone have any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary