Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 06:09 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,955,271 times

Advertisements

Wake School Board Approves Community-Based Schools - Wake County - MyNC.com

Just read this article and had to share with the board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 06:17 PM

93 posts, read 229,614 times
Full disclosure is I have no dog in this race, but I think it is a very good decision. I really like what Mr. Tedesco has to say.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:20 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,112,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottery Collector View Post
Full disclosure is I have no dog in this race.
You and Mr Tedesco have something in common. He doesn't either.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
You and Mr Tedesco have something in common. He doesn't either.
I do not think that is a requirement for making wise choices. The ability to see things clearly and using common sense would seem to be more important and Mr. Tedesco seems to have both.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:24 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,150,426 times
Quote:
Full disclosure is I have no dog in this race, but I think it is a very good decision. I really like what Mr. Tedesco has to say.
Does you own a house? 'Cause this is going to have a dramatic effect on local property values.

I just moved to an area with community schools. The effect on relative land values is truly amazing.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:28 PM

We will have to agree to disagree there, because I think it's highly important to fully understand a very complicated system that affects thousands and thousands of families in Wake County.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:30 PM

320 posts, read 1,070,371 times
Quote:
I do not think that is a requirement for making wise choices. The ability to see things clearly and using common sense would seem to be more important and Mr. Tedesco seems to have both.
Agreed....as a general principle, it is when you don't have a personal stake in the outcome that you can evaluate something objectively. (Same as what a judge does in a court case.)

Last edited by Sloaf; 03-23-2010 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-23-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloaf View Post
Agreed....as a general principle, it is when you don't have a personal stake in the outcome that you can evaluate something objectively. (Same as what a judge does in a court case.)
The difference being that a judge actually has experience and a background in criminal justice and the orders that he is handing down, when it comes to affecting how his actions affect others in the community.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:42 PM

871 posts, read 3,019,040 times
The only way you can rationally deal with the outcome of this complicated system is at the polls. Just like with the HCR bill's passage. Works for some, not for all. Heralded by many, reviled by many more. One size will never fit all.

Consequences of our "melting pot" society. The way I personally view it, it was forced busing, which brought deadly consequences in Boston for years when I was a kid. The cost of buses, fuel, upkeep, drivers, insurance, potential for tragic accidents, isolation from neighborhood, decreased parental involvement (distance), inability for students to participate in extra-curricular activities, the list goes on.

We can satisfy the perceived and real inequities by using parity in funding and providing staff, faculty and administration that is harmonious across economic strata. Trading buses for teachers.

The only place you even have this artificial diversity is M-F, 8-3. The rest of the time, people return to their home bases. Thinking beyond the PC vibes of the norm.

FWIW, I am a liberal-leaning Dem and would not normally support this school board's agenda. But, I agree with it. Other opinions are certainly welcome and respected.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
Does you own a house? 'Cause this is going to have a dramatic effect on local property values.

I just moved to an area with community schools. The effect on relative land values is truly amazing.
I will not be affected, based on where I live. Regardless of that, house values usually go up when neighborhood schools are in play in areas where people have a choice of living.

I read many a story on Wake County schools over the years and it seems as though they have been in turmoil and many parents were very unhappy with the system. That is mostly likely the reason for the removal of the previous board members.

In any event, I was not looking for a debate. I just offered up my opinion on the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary