Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 03:05 PM

10 posts, read 20,253 times

Advertisements

I know who you are referring to and fortunately I do not.

Any other thoughts on potential communities. I am looking into Winston Point in Cary. I found an old thread on here from '07 but nothing newer since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 03:29 PM

746 posts, read 2,248,112 times
we happen to love Wake Forest.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:45 PM

108 posts, read 347,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
ALso, if you work for a certain company based near Boston that starts with a F, be careful. The rate they go through reorganizations, you may well be down here without a job soon after you move, like many hundreds in the last couple of years.

I never thought anyone could make IBMs corporate structure seem stable.
This is exactly what happened to us. Literally 2 weeks after "F" relo'd us here, my husband was laid off. We love it here but for us the biggest disappointment was how hard it was to find work in our professions - which was partly due to the economy. Definitely make sure you have work lined up before making the move (and a solid emergency fund in place in case things don't work out.)

Jobs/money aside, we've been here 2.5 years and do not regret our move at all. There's just this easy way of life here that I never experienced in Mass (born and raised).

We live in Holly Springs and you could definitely find plenty of homes to meet your needs in your price range. Our neighbors are from all over the country (Raleigh natives included).

Good luck!

Old 04-14-2010, 09:20 AM

8 posts, read 18,934 times
My wife and I are in our late 20's.. weve been down to visit raleigh twice.. we both really like it but we arent quite ready to make the move yet. We both really love the suburban aspect of Raleigh.. but the city area just doesnt quite do it for us yet. We are keeping an eye on things and might make the jump in the next year or 2 once we get some more city life out of our system. Growing up just outside of Boston makes it tough though. That was really our only dissapointment with Raleigh was just how small the downtown area is. We checked out both Cary and Holly Springs and liked both. goodluck.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:34 PM

223 posts, read 566,772 times
Your screen name suggest you are from Foxboro area, no? I am from southeast Mass and we moved here in 06. We were able to make the transition from 2 salaries to 1 although we are being really frugal and I did get a much much lower paying part time job to supplement. But I am home when I need to be, have the same schedule as my kids and that was our main focus on moving here. We like it here. Love the weather. Love our neighborhood. Love how friendly people are and that people will randomly smile and wave at you just to be nice. Agree that July and August are tough but there are pools and AC. The ocean is 2 hours away and it is gorgeous. January is the winter month and this past winter for me was cold- I actually wore my winter coat for much of the winter- the previous winters it was mainly a fleece. We actually had snow and snow days this winter even though for New England it would have been called a dusting and just messed up the morning commute up there. I trade heat for cold and snow any day of the year. As for teaching jobs, it is a tough time to be moving. I live in Johnston County and they are getting ready to do major cuts. Doubt there will be many jobs in the next year. We picked Clayton to live. We like the small town feel . That is a personal preference. Many people feel it is too far out but the commute for my husband to Cary is no more than 45 minutes (usually 35) and is still way less than he had (1 hour+). I wanted to be away from the malls and busy areas, and Cary just wasn't for us. Clayton has a great sense of community- parades (Halloween and Christmas) , festivals (winter and fall), a growing farmers market downtown, a nice downtown area with restaurants and shops, friendly people, shopping within 20-30 minutes that meets our needs. One thing that surprised us was how small lots were in many of the areas that we looked. I like a little more space between neighbors. My kids have transitioned very well here and that makes things so much easier. My daughter is developing an accent that sounds like she is more from the South than from South of Boston...(that is totally a joke and she is developing an accent different than mine. I still catch myself saying pahk and cah and I had toned that way down years before I moved here). Things I miss- New England seafood, Christmas Tree shops, Market Basket, my old favorite pizza places (Town Spa in Stoughton and Pizza Tyme in Norton), and good Chinese food. My mom ships me down my Cains mayo (weird I know) and fluff (which I just discovered in the big containers at Food Lion so that can stop and I know it isn't very good for you but who can resist?). I love the amount of fresh vegetables (and strawberries very soon) and I am a convert to southern style barbecue. Property taxes are less here but you pay a tax on food and clothing so it probably all evens out in the end). Just try to remember that it is a new place and a while different area of the country so don't be expecting it to be Mass.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:52 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Advice to Mass. transplants:

"Wicked" is not an intensifier around here (or anywhere but Mass., for that matter..).

Old 04-14-2010, 04:06 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,425,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Advice to Mass. transplants:

"Wicked" is not an intensifier around here (or anywhere but Mass., for that matter..).
"wicked" (as in "wicked hot" or "wicked cool") is also a staple adjective for us Rhode Island natives!

Old 04-14-2010, 06:20 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Nice to reminisce with some of you northerners. I'm not from MA, so I'm just rubbernecking. We're from NH, which is wicked beautiful and also wicked COLD with wicked long winters and wicked wet falls and springs.

Spent some time in Boston. Thanks for the New England memories (seafood, Market Basket, etc.)

Old 04-14-2010, 09:04 PM

93 posts, read 308,796 times
just so you don't lament too much about market basket . . . it's going way down hill. they used to have the best produce anywhere, not anymore.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:14 PM

223 posts, read 566,772 times
I have also learned other things don't mean the same thing around here. For instance, telling someone they are being fresh (as in sassy or mouthing off), it doesn't mean that. I always get laughed at but I think it means flirty here. And wicked always slips out and that always others laugh as well.
As for Market Basket, I miss the prices the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary