Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 10:47 AM

13 posts, read 48,593 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a fresh fish market in the Cary/Raleigh area. I can't buy farm raised or "color added" fish the grocery stores sell. Any good recommendations for salmon, halibut, cod, haddock, etc.? TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 10:50 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,844 times
I know Grand Asia Market in Cary has a big seafood department and some of the fish they sell is very alive, and most of the rest is whole fish that they will cut up however you ask. However, I can't vouch for the quality as I haven't bought anything there (yet.)

Old 04-22-2010, 11:09 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
I get mine at the Sea Depot in SE Cary on the corner or Chatham Street and SE Maynard. Some is local, some is not (like Salmon), you just have to ask. It's fresh, reasonably priced and they will also fry it for you!
They don't have a website, but here is a map, directions and a few reviews.
http://maps.google.com/maps/place?oe...ed=0CAwQqgUwAA

Last edited by lamishra; 04-22-2010 at 11:23 AM..

Old 04-22-2010, 11:10 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
How about Earp's on South Saunders in Raleigh?

In my very first trip to Raleigh, I stopped in there when I was lost. Friendly people. Lots o' fresh fish. Earp's Raleigh Seafood Market, Fresh Fish, Shrimp, Scallops, Salmon - Triangle NC, Tuna, Catfish, Snapper, North Carolina

They're not far from the Farmer's Market.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:22 AM

167 posts, read 567,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
How about Earp's on South Saunders in Raleigh?

In my very first trip to Raleigh, I stopped in there when I was lost. Friendly people. Lots o' fresh fish. Earp's Raleigh Seafood Market, Fresh Fish, Shrimp, Scallops, Salmon - Triangle NC, Tuna, Catfish, Snapper, North Carolina

They're not far from the Farmer's Market.
I second earp's!

Old 04-22-2010, 11:30 AM

15 posts, read 43,005 times
Default reply

Earp's is the best! Been in business for at least 40 yards. Mrs Mary will take care of you. They run trucks to Morehead City daily. The fish is very fresh. Wild is wayyyyyy better than farm raised imo.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:35 PM

450 posts, read 1,554,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSkan View Post
I am looking for a fresh fish market in the Cary/Raleigh area. I can't buy farm raised or "color added" fish the grocery stores sell. Any good recommendations for salmon, halibut, cod, haddock, etc.? TIA
Just saying "farmed is bad" is a terrible generalization. For those of us who eat Catfish, farm raised is much better than wild, for many reasons. For one, they are taught (yes, trained and taught) to feed at the surface rather than on the bottom (eliminating the grime taste you find in some catfish). Also, they are certified Sustainable.

Most US-farmed VEGETARIAN fish are a good choice (fish like Tilapia, Arctic Char, Cobia, and Rainbow Trout are good choices). They are sustainable and sometimes a better choice than wild fish (for example, the Catfish).

Here is the Monterey Bay Aquarium's guide to eating seafood (i.e. what to eat in our area and what to avoid): MBA Guide. Notice that Red Snapper, Grouper, Chilean Seabass, and Atlantic Cod are on the same Avoid list as Farmed Salmon in our area.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:14 PM

137 posts, read 552,936 times
Hard to find really fresh (wild) fish in the Triangle area. My GF and I do not eat meat, but we like to grille fish. We tried Whole foods, but pretty mediocre if you ask me. We then heard about a place in the middle of Carrboro, so we took a walk by it one morning (and I know people swear by the place) but, my GF was with me, and the place was so dirty I knew we would not be getting fish there (to be honest, her standards are much higher than mine, but wow even I was totally and completely grossed out!) So, generally I get fish from one of the great fish markets in Seattle and have Fed Ex deliver it to me. I get a bunch at once so the shipping gets lost in the noise!

Old 04-22-2010, 01:25 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,535,685 times
Capital Seafood Market, across the street from the Raleigh Farmers' Market.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:27 PM

13 posts, read 48,593 times
Thanks to everyone! Codyhopkins: which Seattle store do you prefer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary