Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 11:27 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times

Advertisements

The magnet schools were created for the diversity.

The schools that became magnet schools were the inner city schools that were in areas that people from the suburbs would never have agreed to have their children bussed to unless there was some reason to send their kids there. Therefore, the magnet program was developed with art, music, etc. to entice those parents to allow their kids to be bussed to those schools.

with the influx of the kids from the suburbs, the magnet schools that were created, could then send some of their base population of low income kids to the schools in the suburbs, thus creating the ratio of high to low income kids.

So, I wonder...if we all go back to n'hood schools, is there a need for the magnet program, at all?

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 11:50 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
So, I wonder...if we all go back to n'hood schools, is there a need for the magnet program, at all?

Vicki
How else can you efficiently service the "strong need" AG polpulation? It would be very expensive to have those programs in every school.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:00 PM

746 posts, read 2,246,990 times
Quote:
The magnet schools were created for the diversity.

The schools that became magnet schools were the inner city schools that were in areas that people from the suburbs would never have agreed to have their children bussed to unless there was some reason to send their kids there. Therefore, the magnet program was developed with art, music, etc. to entice those parents to allow their kids to be bussed to those schools.

with the influx of the kids from the suburbs, the magnet schools that were created, could then send some of their base population of low income kids to the schools in the suburbs, thus creating the ratio of high to low income kids.

Vicki
i think that three pieces of this are important.
1. Choice. Parents should have a choice of schools - if not their neighborhood (regardless of strata) then a magnet program
2. If diversity isn't going to be the measure by which children are assigned, then there needs to continue to be the choice for parents to offer diversity to their kids. If you (general public) don't want it, that's fine. I'm giving up my seat in a great district so that your kid can have it - if you are my neighbor.
3. The condition of the magnet schools would otherwise deteriorate rapidly. They're in crappy neighborhoods with lots of poverty and crime. Do you really think that they would receive the same funding schools in cary and apex and north raleigh and WF receive if the parents who are more affluent weren't there? Doubtful, unfortunately, and thus the cycle of poverty begins anew.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:02 PM

746 posts, read 2,246,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
How else can you efficiently service the "strong need" AG polpulation? It would be very expensive to have those programs in every school.
the AG and GT stuff is a farce - the lottery is not based on any testing. That's not a fair measure of success of the magnet program or its offerings. (IMO)

Old 05-29-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
Isn't there still an AG program in every school? When my kids were in Elementary, they went to "AG" twice a week. Has that changed? I ask because 3 of my 4 have graduated.

My high school daughter goes to Honor classes, so that takes care of AG.

Vicki

Old 05-29-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY View Post
i think that three pieces of this are important.
1. Choice. Parents should have a choice of schools - if not their neighborhood (regardless of strata) then a magnet program
2. If diversity isn't going to be the measure by which children are assigned, then there needs to continue to be the choice for parents to offer diversity to their kids. If you (general public) don't want it, that's fine. I'm giving up my seat in a great district so that your kid can have it - if you are my neighbor.
3. The condition of the magnet schools would otherwise deteriorate rapidly. They're in crappy neighborhoods with lots of poverty and crime. Do you really think that they would receive the same funding schools in cary and apex and north raleigh and WF receive if the parents who are more affluent weren't there? Doubtful, unfortunately, and thus the cycle of poverty begins anew.
1. Is the new school board saying we'll all have a choice? Or are they just going to send our kids to the school closest to our homes?

2. If the n'hood school you (general public) are sent to is Enloe (for example) and Enloe is full of neighborhood kids, how can it still be a magnet?

3. The schools will all receive funding but it is the parental influence that you won't see at some of the poorer schools. That is why I don't think it will work. That is why people are upset about the schools having lack of diversity.

I don't have all the answers...I don't have alot of the answers but I do have questions.

Vicki

Old 05-29-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Isn't there still an AG program in every school? When my kids were in Elementary, they went to "AG" twice a week. Has that changed? I ask because 3 of my 4 have graduated.

My high school daughter goes to Honor classes, so that takes care of AG.

Vicki
High school is taken care of with honors and Ap
Elemntary and Middle vary widely school to school. It depends upon teh $ budgeted by the principal and also upon the way the AG coordinator runs the program. So, if there are less AG kids in a particular school there are less AG resources.
Magnets even that out.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY View Post
the AG and GT stuff is a farce - the lottery is not based on any testing. That's not a fair measure of success of the magnet program or its offerings. (IMO)
The lottery is not based upon AG need. You are right. The selection process is hugely unfair. You would thing that a need for services would be the #1 criterion. But it's just blanket AG identification that lets you apply. then the other factors (unrelated to your kid's academic needs!) kick in.

But, for the people with strong -needs AG kids who somehow get in, those kids get what they would not get elsewhere.

Wouldn't it be great if they kept the magnets but added educational need for AG services to the top of the list for selection?

That would justify keeping teh magnet system in place.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
2. If the n'hood school you (general public) are sent to is Enloe (for example) and Enloe is full of neighborhood kids, how can it still be a magnet?

3. The schools will all receive funding but it is the parental influence that you won't see at some of the poorer schools. That is why I don't think it will work. That is why people are upset about the schools having lack of diversity.

I don't have all the answers...I don't have alot of the answers but I do have questions.

Vicki
The magnets receive federal funding and if they are not sufficiently diverse they will not get that funding.

Goodbye special programs.

Goodbye core of parents who have the resources (time, $, creativity) to supplement what the school already does)

BTW, some of those parents volunteering at magnets are base parents. The magnet my kids attend has a structure that is set up to help all parents participate in the life of the school. That structure is a network of administration, staff & parents that shows sensitivity to the time and financial constraints facing parents today. It is a model that could help all schools tremendously.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:09 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,864,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
An important thing I'm gathering from this thread is the subtext that people with money should be able to pick the public school that they want their child(ren) to attend and secure a spot there by paying for a home nearby. To me, that is not how public education should work. More money should not equal greater access to quality schools.
While I agree with the ideology, isn't our whole world based on the "haves" doing as they please, when, where and how they please?

I know people who have not served ONE day in jail for murder. I know people who have not completed ONE hour of community service for multiple drunk driving offenses. I know someone who routinely takes from the Federal funded grant money programs for her personal use and the authorities look the other way. I know a guy who makes a habit of hiring and firing members of disenfranchised groups because he knows they have no remedy under the law.

The REALITY is the people with money dictate how, what, when and where things happen. I'm not saying I agree with. I'm just saying that's how it is.

Last edited by mjd07; 05-29-2010 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: Fix typo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary