Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 09:40 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,117,818 times

Advertisements

I need some new landscaping shrubs in front of my one story home. The people who lived here before us have some weird stuff planted in front of the house as foundation plants like camelias, japonica and acubita. We have two daphene bushes out front but one is dying and I've read that they rarely live more than 10 years.
I'd like to steer clear of azaleas, but I would like opinions on other hearty, full, evergreen landscape shrubs for the front of the house. It gets moderate sun because the house is North facing, so the house itself blocks out the majority of the daytime full sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 09:48 PM

43,320 posts, read 77,177,570 times
I like stuff that is well adapted to the region.

Nandina domestica. Classic plant. They live for many decades, 200+ years, and take very little care. You might try to get them some sun, but part shade will work well.
Skip the Firepower Nandinas, as they are overused at commercial sites.
Stick with the species.

Euonymous of some sort. Variegated leaves and pruneable into a hedge. Would look good next to Nandina.

Anise

Oak Leaf Hydrangea, if you have room.

Wax myrtle, if you want large, or to prune it.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:28 PM

55 posts, read 211,226 times
Default plants

Mike is right on with the Hydrangea, a hearty, gorgeous southern beauty. All greenthumb newcomers should go and invest in a copy of The North Carolina Garderner's Guide. My mother has earned her master gardeners certificate and still swears by this guide to all plants/trees weeds/ flowers that grow here in God's country.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:06 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,117,818 times
I have a gorgeous Oak Leaf hydrangea in the back yard and LOVE that plant. It's so beautiful when it blooms! In the front foundation area though, I'm looking for a nice, full, woody shrub that stays green all year long.
We do have several nandina that have done very well and have propogated themselves all of the place!

Old 06-16-2007, 11:32 PM

55 posts, read 211,226 times
Default landscape

Boxwoods are timeless. They are slow growing and expensive but will always make a great first impression of your home. They also are very hearty and can withstand the annual semi summer drought the we have here in the Ole North State. My yard is basically boxwoods,azaleas, monkey grass, lariopie(sp?), dogwoods, cammilia's(again sp?), crepe myrtle's, hydrangea's, day lillies, and purple iris. We did this by plan as we like to enjoy our summers at the beach instaed of tending to our yard. All of the above are attractive, native, hearty species that require little tlc. For groundcover try carolina jasmine or classic ivy. Forsethia is an early spring blooming shrub that can be used as a hedge, natural fence or just a fast growing colorful addition to any part of your yard. Anyone can audit classes at NCSU's horticulture or landscape design school that is one of the best in the whole country. Top places to shop are Homewood Nursery, Logans, Atlantic Ave Lawn and Garden, and Maymak. When in doubt, always plant indigenious species of plants. And in the spring, always go to the WRAL gardens for a look at one of the most mature and pretty collection of azalea's this side of Augusta National. Five acres of heaven.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:46 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,610,129 times
I've been surprised to see many of the same plants used here as I used in Texas. For evergreen shrubs, I've always been a fan of Indian Hawthornes. They have a nice rounded shape and nice flowers in the spring. I also like Nandinas and Eleagnus (spelling?), although the Eleagnus can grow a little too fast.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:41 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,260,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I've been surprised to see many of the same plants used here as I used in Texas. For evergreen shrubs, I've always been a fan of Indian Hawthornes. They have a nice rounded shape and nice flowers in the spring. I also like Nandinas and Eleagnus (spelling?), although the Eleagnus can grow a little too fast.
I love all your suggestions and all the above recommendations for Nandina. There's a new one called Purple Passion which is stunning. BTW - several varieties of Nandina make excellent deck plants. But, I got into a discussion over on the garden forum suggesting Elaeagnus to a poster. I'm trying to determine what plants I have here that will do well in NC. Although NCSU lists Elaeagnus x ebbingei as a non invasive plant, many other sites did list it as invasive in NC. I agree it is very fast growing (in Oregon). and I'm in the process right now of trying to tame and shape.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:56 AM

492 posts, read 2,108,928 times
tigerlilly:

Where is the NC gardening forum?

Old 06-17-2007, 10:07 AM

401 posts, read 1,624,620 times
You may want to look at "otto luyken" laural. it is an evergreen laural that has small white flowers in the spring and keeps a nice deep green color year round. It will get about 4' tall and wide at maturity(takes awhile as it's a slow grower) and requires little pruning. They are a little expensive, but well worth it.
It likes some shade, but I have seen them grow well in full sun too.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:19 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,260,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_newcomer View Post
tigerlilly:

Where is the NC gardening forum?
The information I'm using is from NCSU. I also like the wildflower site for lists of native plants. There's a general forum on a site called Garden Web and threads specific to NC. The only other forum I've posted on is our city data garden forum.
Drought Tolerant Shrubs

JC Raulston Arboretum - Horticulture

NC Native Plant Society plants

Last edited by tigerlily; 06-17-2007 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: added information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary