Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 06:55 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,009,154 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a group to socialize a new puppy. I know many cities have special places like "puppy cafe's" that are very strict on sanitization so you don't have to worry about disease and Parvo etc. Does anyone know of any places like this? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 09:28 PM

476 posts, read 1,677,075 times
The Town of Cary Dog Park at Godbold (should be Dogbold!) Park on NW Maynard- you have to register with proof of current vaccinations and the pooches & owners seem to enjoy the socialization.

Joining up there will give you the opportunity to meet some new puppy pals. Rules & info here:

Cary Dog Park (http://www.townofcary.org/Departments/Parks__Recreation___Cultural_Resources/Parks_and_Greenways/Parks/Cary_Dog_Park.htm - broken link)

Old 06-08-2010, 06:52 AM

23 posts, read 49,705 times
I would go to a puppy class. They usually have social time before and after, you can get tips on puppy raising at the same time. Exposure to disease is limited depending on where the class is held.

Next spring we will be opening a swim center for dogs and will have puppy time but that will be a bit late for you

Diana

Old 06-08-2010, 07:04 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Petsmart does puppy classes every few weeks. We took a couple of our dogs and it was good for them. Plus you get started on early training stuff.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:47 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,992 times
I would definitely not take my puppy to a dog park until it has had all its immunizations and built up its immunities. You're right to look for a place where there is screening of puppies who have been vaccinated. And a dog park would overwhelm a puppy and that would be a bad thing.

That said, socialization is SO important.

I agree that puppy class is a good idea, although I found I needed more socialization than it offered. It's also really important to make sure your puppy is not subjected to situations that may overwhelm it, such as a rambunctious dog(s) at a dog park or elsewhere. If the puppy gets scared, it could do more damage than good. Puppy class teachers are really good at managing this process.

I found a few people who had dogs and we had play dates. They don't have to be long although it was always nice when my puppy got worn out!

I also tried a small dog meetup group. They ask all owners to ascertain that their dogs are current on vaccinations, but it's a honor system. It was too overwhelming for a young puppy because there were not systematic introductions (all the dogs ganged up on my puppy when we walked in the door; that was bad). You may be able to find a small meetup group which is more controlled or individuals registered for a meetup group who might consider 1x1 playdates, especially if you have a specific breed of dog which has a meetup group.

My suggestion is to join a puppy class and ask the other class members if any of them would like to do more socialization outside of class. They're in the same boat as you, looking to socialize their puppies.

Good luck, and kudos to you for focusing on socialization. It's so important!

Old 06-08-2010, 04:15 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,984,044 times
Meetup dot com! You'll find a ton of puppy "meetups" there

Old 06-08-2010, 04:41 PM

467 posts, read 1,774,777 times
friends w/ dogs? When I have brought puppies home, they stayed at home until totally done with their vaccinations (through rabies, which is given at 4 months). However, I have friends with dogs, so I could be confident of vaccination status and demeanor, and they'd come over and so my puppy was able to meet different animals and people. My girls never suffered from lack of socialization.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:17 PM

481 posts, read 1,086,720 times
Thumbs up for being proactive on raising a social dog! I love dog parks but as others have stated, wait until they have all their shots. We also used puppy classes at pet smart and it was great. Not sure if she is still there but we had a lady named Jackie at the Crossroads Petsmart. It gives the tools you need to work on commands , plus meet other dogs. Then you can continue on with other classes or train more on your own. Be consistent and have a good routine! Dogs thrive on it and helps create stability in the home. Not sure if you have had a dog before but the puppy stage although very cute is a lot of work. We got ours at 10 weeks and even at 2-3 years understand that is their "teenage" phase so don't expect them to calm down just yet I work with a rescue group and so many turn their dogs in because they don't understand that phase then get frustrated. Good luck with your new bundle of sloppy kisses!

Old 06-08-2010, 06:32 PM

476 posts, read 1,677,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishellina View Post
I love dog parks but as others have stated, wait until they have all their shots!
To clarify... in case my previous post was vague (?) you cannot even take your dog to the Cary Dog Park UNLESS they have had (and stay current for renewals) all of their shots/vaccinations. If your puppy is at that point it should not be an issue. If he/she is not up to date he/she will not be able to be registered - for the safety of your dog, as well as for that of the others.

* It is a fenced and gated card entry park so unless you have a current registration you can't just wander in. Last time I checked registration is not on-site so be sure to plan ahead... you cannot just show up and expect to get in.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:36 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks2007 View Post
The Town of Cary Dog Park at Godbold (should be Dogbold!) Park on NW Maynard- you have to register with proof of current vaccinations and the pooches & owners seem to enjoy the socialization.

Joining up there will give you the opportunity to meet some new puppy pals. Rules & info here:

Cary Dog Park
I do not recommend this. We used to bring my dog here and it had the exact opposite effect of socializing her to other dogs. Too many people there bring aggressive dogs to the park and now my dog is terrified of other dogs. We are going to start bringing her back to Petsmart for training and socialization. We brought her to the puppy classes taught by Jackie and she was doing great with the other dogs. I really wish we had never brought her to the dog park because it undid so much of the good work we had done at the puppy classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary