Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 05:32 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
Annual Electricity Price Comparison by State

I am looking real hard at Idaho as well......which has dirt cheap utilities, one of the lowest in the USA. Think I got these places....Rapid City, Colorado Springs, Idaho Falls, and N Idaho/Spokane...on the list. The Idaho Falls area has very cheap homes for sale, and nice ones with a little acreage to boot, unlike RC which has crap homes if you want a little acreage under 200k, think I am out of luck for acreage with a non crap home in CS as well, under 200k. Spokane and Idaho Falls, have the better housing options in my price range so far. But Spokane has very high crime rates, from what I have read, and Idaho Falls is pretty small, and might be rather remote and too small, don't know, especially as a single guy.
Same link twice... All that plays into general usage, averages and the like. It only tells part of the story.

Individual results may vary.

Black hills electric coop and black hills power and light both have peak demand rates. During certain times the rate is higher. Again, during peak times you think twice about running appliances or electric heat during peak demand times. 5 to 9 pm is a peak time. We wait to light the dryer. I've also considered installing a timer for the water heater to help manage the electric bill.

As cold as the winter has been I'm guessing the peak demand factor is why the op's daughter has had such a high bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 12:44 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Annual Electricity Price Comparison by State

I am looking real hard at Idaho as well......which has dirt cheap utilities, one of the lowest in the USA. Think I got these places....Rapid City, Colorado Springs, Idaho Falls, and N Idaho/Spokane...on the list. The Idaho Falls area has very cheap homes for sale, and nice ones with a little acreage to boot, unlike RC which has crap homes if you want a little acreage under 200k, think I am out of luck for acreage with a non crap home in CS as well, under 200k. Spokane and Idaho Falls, have the better housing options in my price range so far. But Spokane has very high crime rates, from what I have read, and Idaho Falls is pretty small, and might be rather remote and too small, don't know, especially as a single guy.
Here in Northern Wyoming (Sheridan County), I only pay .06422 per for electricity. Pretty decent price.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:13 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,188,111 times
Sheridan seems like it might be too small and I see the housing prices are very high there as well for such a small area. I remember being there once at a hotel bar, remember a waitress telling me you have to go to Rapid City for all the action.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:18 AM

481 posts, read 1,301,112 times
I didn't realize about the peak demand rates with Black Hills Power. I'm guessing that's a regional thing because (believe it or not) my electric company in Victor, CO, just outside Colorado Springs and up the mountain, was BHP. My rates were much cheaper in Victor than when I lived in Rapid. My water bill is a whole different story...

Old 04-06-2014, 04:34 AM

well it would be just me living in a house if I was to purchase a home in one of the places I'm considering. and I am pretty frugal. little kW I was wondering you said you lived in Rapid City and now you're in Colorado Springs which one do you like better, as far as living and making a life for retirement?

Old 04-06-2014, 09:04 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlekw View Post
I didn't realize about the peak demand rates with Black Hills Power. I'm guessing that's a regional thing because (believe it or not) my electric company in Victor, CO, just outside Colorado Springs and up the mountain, was BHP. My rates were much cheaper in Victor than when I lived in Rapid. My water bill is a whole different story...
Each state regulates rates and price. If a utility wants to raise their rate they need the blessing of the public utilities commission.

Colorado may not allow for a higher rate, they may prohibit peak demand rates, or their costs are lower for Black Hills Power.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:49 AM

481 posts, read 1,301,112 times
Quote:
little kW I was wondering you said you lived in Rapid City and now you're in Colorado Springs which one do you like better, as far as living and making a life for retirement?
They're both awesome places to live. If I could figure out how to be in two places at once, Rapid City and Colorado Springs would be those two places.

From a retirement perspective, though, I would have to give Colorado Springs a few more points than Rapid. The medical services in the Springs are far superior to those in Rapid. Rapid is also very isolated, Colorado Springs has everything you need and if something arises that the city doesn't have, it's a quick trip to Denver for the rest. It you're concerned about the Springs being too big and crowded, it's easy to live in the rural areas around town and still have access to the amenities of the city.

Rapid City is a great town when you're younger. But if you're looking for a permanent home to hang your hat, Colorado Springs and the vicinity are a better option. But just barely...

Old 04-06-2014, 07:48 PM

well I need a VA hospital nearby, and western South Dakota has to VA hospitals.... I just think that in the end Rapid City might be the better choice because it is more peaceful less congested, the VA hospital is right there for me to go to, plus I like the wide open spaces and the lack of crowdedness and state of South Dakota. plus I got some friends in Sioux Falls cause I use to live there so I be able to visit them once in awhile... I think all in all Rapid City might be the best choice for me, ... at this point in the game the only other place that was comparing to it was Idaho Falls Idaho.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:19 PM

I just hope like heck I make the right decision in the end, no matter where I end up...so tough to decide where

Old 04-08-2014, 05:31 PM

21 posts, read 39,886 times
I'm in the same boat you are, Starrider, but as you know, there are no guarantees anywhere a person decides to move. Pros and cons no matter what or where. I do know that the people in South Dakota are generally exceptionally good people, and there's nothing like the beautiful Black Hills. Those were the major factors in my decision to move to Rapid City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City