Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2009, 02:55 PM

4 posts, read 11,420 times

Advertisements

Hi. Your mild winters in Rapid City (compared to ND) sure do sound inviting, and refreshing to get some "warmer" days in the 30's and 40's mixed in with the really colder days. But, with all those fluctuating temps, I was wondering if that causes problems with ice forming on the roads and making for hazardous travel? Like, say it snows a few inches one day, then the next day the temp is warm enough to melt some but not all the snow, then all that wetness on the roads freezes overnight and makes it icy and dangerous. Is that a common scenario that you Rapid City folks deal with throughout the winter? Thanks for your first-hand info. Right now, we're "on the outside looking in."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 03:33 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

All in all, the roads in South Dakota and the Black Hills are really nothing to Complain about ceptin when you got nothing else to do. :-)

Typical it will snow and freeze and last a day or three and then start melting off. Of course, night time temps will freeze it and the roads will be slick anywhere water is running across. Also, any shady areas up in the hills. Where the trees are close to the road and the road doesn't get any sunshine, it won't warm up and those stretches will stay icy, day and night.

At times, there will be a snow that will stick for 2 or 3 week. But that seems to be less of a problem these days due to the better road equipment used to clear the snow and the bigger population driving on the pavement keeping it warmer.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:25 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
Hey EH,

Maybe I'm late in noticing this, but welcome back. I've always enjoyed reading your posts!

Old 02-23-2009, 07:09 PM

Thanks, it's good to be back. Back to Icy roads in the Black Hills.

Does anybody know where Spots South Dakota is? I know it's in the Black Hills and it's a problem area, just not sure where.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:33 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
Like EH said, you've nailed it on the head. The city tries to put chemical, salt, and gravel on the streets as best they can but you can't avoid all the slick spots.

EH, I'm not sure where that is but I know that coming down Highway 16 into Rapid City there is a slanted shady spot where water runs across that's always a problem in the winter. It's even slippery in the summer after a rain.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Like EH said, you've nailed it on the head. The city tries to put chemical, salt, and gravel on the streets as best they can but you can't avoid all the slick spots.

EH, I'm not sure where that is but I know that coming down Highway 16 into Rapid City there is a slanted shady spot where water runs across that's always a problem in the winter. It's even slippery in the summer after a rain.
Yeah, I'm not sure where Spots is but every time I call the Road Report it says "Slick in Spots". So I wanted to avoid that area.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:52 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure where Spots is but every time I call the Road Report it says "Slick in Spots". So I wanted to avoid that area.
Oh gawsh! Hahaha!

Old 02-24-2009, 07:00 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,149,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post

Old 03-04-2009, 09:45 AM

4 posts, read 11,420 times
Thanks for your responses. I figured the icy roads would be a common problem with the fluctuating temps. Good to know, but not a deal-breaker in considering that area to relocate to. I've always loved visiting there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
View detailed profiles of: