Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2009, 04:41 PM

25 posts, read 134,239 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody! I finally found a furnished place off Sheridan Lake. Just in time, because the rents have gone up for rally time. Whew!

The drive in to town isn't too bad. Only complaint is.. not enough laundromats. They definitely need one or two more in south Rapid because of the growth.

Other then that.. really enjoying my move here. Roads are a little rough, but it was that way in Oregon too. Not enough money to repair them all.

Took a little spin to Hill City the other day. Really neat place! Hey, does anyone happen to know how to avoid the many deer around here? I have a small pickup and was wondering if those deer whistles work on the outside?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 04:58 PM

54 posts, read 148,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby View Post
Hi everybody! I finally found a furnished place off Sheridan Lake. Just in time, because the rents have gone up for rally time. Whew!

The drive in to town isn't too bad. Only complaint is.. not enough laundromats. They definitely need one or two more in south Rapid because of the growth.

Other then that.. really enjoying my move here. Roads are a little rough, but it was that way in Oregon too. Not enough money to repair them all.

Took a little spin to Hill City the other day. Really neat place! Hey, does anyone happen to know how to avoid the many deer around here? I have a small pickup and was wondering if those deer whistles work on the outside?

I was raised in deer country and the best way to avoid them i not to avoid them. LOL... Kind of like the saying in lord of the ring about potatoes.. Boil them, smash them, put them in a stew. HA
ok seriously, just use caution as you are driving. if you do buy those deer whistle things that go on vehicles.. buy the expesive ones as i have heard those actually work vs the low cost ones.

Welcome to Rapid area. its a beautiful place. we have lived here for about a month now and its been great. lots of things to go and see and do. Have a great time.
Scott.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:38 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,717,521 times
Hey Gabby! Welcome to Rapid City!

You really can't avoid deer. I guess the whistles are a good idea but when the moment comes, you just won't have time to react. I've hit a deer downtown before and just about anybody you talk to will tell you that they've hit one or have come close. Just the other night a deer leaped in front of me on Fairmont Blvd. I didn't hit it, luckily.

Just a note: deer roam mostly at dusk and dawn.

As for laundromats, there is a 24/7 laudromat on Haines Avenue that has coffee and tanning. Weird huh? It's on the Northside though.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:05 PM

948 posts, read 2,792,420 times
My trick to avoiding the deer has been to not over react, keep the course until the absolute last moment - slowing down and swerving too soon can confuse the deer - so basically hold course as long as you can and let off the gas and turn away at the last moment. Probably sounds weird, but honestly I have lived here nearly my entire life and have a gazillion close calls but have never hit one head on. I have had them come out of nowhere and and hit me from the side several times. The worst part is that there tends to be more than one and missing one isn't nearly as hard as avoiding the several ones that may be following the first - I have a friend that swears by the deer whistlers - I am not sure why, he has hit like 6-7 and a couple of them totaled out his rigs - anyway just try to stay alert, and at dusk and dawn when driving out of town try to travel with a co-pilot as they can be very helpful as well...

Old 06-20-2009, 08:05 PM

25 posts, read 134,239 times
Hey thanks for all the info! I will try to avoid the deer at all costs. I am slow driver at night anyway.
I checked out the laundromat on Haines.. it is pretty weird as I have never been in one with a tanning booth before. I did partake of the Seattle Coffee place though. I like to stick with more basic stuff.. so I think the one on Canyon Lake Dr. is a better choice.

Next ?? I don't have access to a garage.. any tips on possibly avoiding any (large) hail damage? Deductibles can really kill the pocketbook at $500 on insurance. Or do I just keep hoping we don't have the large hailstones?

Thanks. Gabby

Old 06-20-2009, 08:43 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,410,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby View Post

Gabby, Good to hear that you are liking South Dakota and Rapid City!
I have the same complaint with Sioux Falls...

Old 06-20-2009, 09:26 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
Hey Gabby, good to hear you're loving it in the Hills.

We've actually discussed deer chasers before. Some say they haven't seen any evidence that they work, but I have. I have seen deer who are ready to cross the interstate veer and run alongside in the field/pasture. And all we had was a cheap pair of them on the car. They're worth a try and you can judge for yourself.

AND glad there are more slow drivers in our state now. I actually end up driving over the speed limit in town, but I'm a turtle on the highways.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:38 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,717,521 times
Gabby, at least you have coverage. I have liability, which is outrageous because I'm a young guy, and it covers NOTHING. Try to park under trees or in a carport if possible. I'd be lying if I said hail was rare in Western South Dakota.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:36 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
With deer of the four legged variety... my good fortune has been with a good set of brakes. I apply the binders and try to get things shut down in time. I usually don't try any evasive action in a four wheeled vehicle.

Myself I and somewhat skeptical of the deer whistles. If they work great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City