Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 02:19 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times

Advertisements

...the thing I am most curious about is the large size of the OP's parcel. I kniw in mam's neck of the woods there are some equestrian properties which are in the size category, but the cost per acre puts them in the the "Forbes list only" price category. Assuming you are at a much more modest price point I do think that EXPOSURE is a huge factor. I mean I am sure nearly every real estate agent has had a buyer that wanted to see something "with more land" and if the price is not so high as to drive off all but members of the Saudi royal family, the drive from town won't require packing a lunch, and the home doesn't stretch the limits of adjectives like "quaint" into "uninhabitable unless you are an unfrozen caveman" you might be pleasantly surprised that unique can also be desirable....

Go with local customs / standards as related by your agent, but I certainly would be very happy with clients that were willing to foot some / all of the bill for eats and gas cards / door prizes. The nice thing too is when the client pays for the lunch trays that is less for me to schelp there ahead of time and any leftovers stay in the the client's fridge, not stinking up my car.

Do not attempt 3PM - 6PM, I don't care if the issue is picking kids up from school or retirees wanting to get an early dinner, that is just a lousy time for this sort of thing. Midmorning through early afternoon makes much more sense...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 01:36 AM

12 posts, read 37,862 times
Default Thanks for all the great input

There have been some great input and lots for me to think about.

I haven't listed yet, nor hired an agent. I brought out 3 Realtors to get an idea of what the house could list at. All 3 said it was a difficult to find anything to comp it to.

I have decided which of the realtors I am going to list with, that is why I was trying to find out from the board, what is customary with the brokers open so that I will know when I discuss it with the agent about marketing.

Since all three agent were all over the board on pricing the property, I brought out an appraiser yesterday. This way I will know what the place will appraise at and then decide on a price. I think it was money well spent in this market. No sense in pricing too high or too low.

Thanks for all those recommending a time change. I didn't think about kids, school, dinner, etc. Great suggestions.

Before signing I will discuss fully the marketing plan with the agent.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:57 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,986,140 times
Sounds like you have a solid plan and are pretty savvy about the process. Just make sure the agent you pick is on board and has the same ideas. Plus, as stated they should be able to advise on the local customs.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:41 AM

718 posts, read 2,079,662 times
After reading all these posts...why limit it to just brokers? If you advertise properly....send a direct mail blast, etc and hold it after working hours, you could elicit a lot more bodies for all the effort you are willing to put forth. Food is not the incentive it once was, but gas cards to the first say 20 people might be or something like that. I applaud you for being willing to go the extra mile as a seller and with some cooperation from your agent you should be able to turn this into a real "event" instead of the usual broker's "yawn tour". And I agree that if you are too far out, no one will make the effort simply because they aren't working with an interested purchaser. I have held these things at "odd" hours of the day and appealed to the public....got lots of brokers as well. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals