Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 10:32 PM

5 posts, read 5,823 times

Advertisements

If you buy an inexpensive house on Ebay, do not have it inspected, it is as/is BUT you ask seller specific questions they answer regarding condition but they lie in a huge way, can you do anything about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 10:45 PM

238 posts, read 1,505,478 times
Good question.. always wondered about that. Seems alot of sellers try to keep the listings a generic as possible with the legalize to cver their arses.
Example from a listing I may bid on but still asked a few questions."
[SIZE=4]ADDITIONAL DETAILS:[SIZE=3] Everything we know about this property is in this listing. The owner has not borrowed against this property or placed any encumbrances on it. We have neither done a title search on this property, nor have we seen it. Please read our store policies before you bid. "

Another one.......

[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][SIZE=4][SIZE=2]PLEASE READ TERMS OF SALE/AUCTION LISTED BELOW:[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=4][SIZE=2] Property is sold AS IS, WHERE IS. The Seller hereby discloses the[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=4][SIZE=2]following: The Seller acquired the property above at a tax sale for delinquent property taxes. The Seller has no[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=4][SIZE=2]inspections or reports for the property. The Seller hereby disclaims any warranties, express or implied, as[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=4][SIZE=2]to the habitability, merchantability or fitness for any purpose. The[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=4][SIZE=2]property is to be sold in As-Is Condition. Please conduct all due diligence[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=4][SIZE=2]BEFORE you bid. Your payment is NON-REFUNDABLE. The information in this[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=4][SIZE=2]auction was obtained from public records. This information is believed to be[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=4][SIZE=2]accurate but is not guaranteed. At the end of the auction, we will need your[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=4][SIZE=2]mailing address, and contract information. Title to be transferred via Quit[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=4][SIZE=2]Claim Deed or Deed without warranty. Winning Bidders shall represent,[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=4][SIZE=2]covenant, and warrant that they are purchasing the Property relying solely[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=4][SIZE=2]on their independent inspection of the Property in its existing condition. This property may be on the demolition list. Please check with the city[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=4]Seller not shall be liable for any allowance, adjustment or revision based[/SIZE][SIZE=4]upon the failure of the Property, appliances, or floor plans to conform to[/SIZE][SIZE=4]any specific standards. Any information provided by Seller regarding sizes,[/SIZE][SIZE=4]floor plans, square footage and/or bedrooms/bathrooms for the Properties are[/SIZE][SIZE=4]approximations only and are based on information available. Actual sizes,[/SIZE][SIZE=4]floor plans, square footage and/or bedroom/bathrooms may vary. NOTE:[/SIZE][SIZE=4]Property SOLD AS IS WHERE IS BUYER TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL OPEN TAXES or[/SIZE][SIZE=4]ASSESSMENTS. BUYER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR CONTACTING THE TAXING AUTHORITIES FOR[/SIZE][SIZE=4]THIS INFORMATION.[/SIZE] [SIZE=4][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Old 10-31-2010, 06:55 AM

The foundation was said to have cracks but that it was sound, strong, and walls straight. In reality it has foundation walls that are not only cracked but are pushing in and failing. The house is actually bowing in the center because there was a wall built at some point in the basement center of the house and it's what's holding the house up. State is Mo. if that helps at all.

Last edited by myhouseproblem; 10-31-2010 at 07:28 AM..

Old 10-31-2010, 08:21 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
So people are buying houses on EBAY like used toasters? And then wondering when things don't go so well?

Old 10-31-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
So people are buying houses on EBAY like used toasters? And then wondering when things don't go so well?
Well if I asked if a toaster worked properly and what condition it was in, I'd expect a factual response as well. I sell on Ebay and I mention every fault I can find so the buyer isn't unhappy. I am at fault for expecting other people to exhibit some level of honesty and integrity. I think it goes without saying that I learned my lesson. Now to the issue as hand.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:37 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Contact EBAY. Find out what their policies are.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:41 AM

238 posts, read 1,505,478 times
What did you pay for it if I may ask? Also, what is is worth.. Honestly basement walls ain't all that hard to fix if you got the right equipment. Were you given the option to look at it before you bid on it? That is most definitly what I would have done. Matter of fact I am going to look at on monday that is listed on ebay about 7 miles from me. If all looks semi decent I may commence to biddin on it. You have a cheap family lawyer that can help. Take care

Old 10-31-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy444 View Post
What did you pay for it if I may ask? Also, what is is worth.. Honestly basement walls ain't all that hard to fix if you got the right equipment. Were you given the option to look at it before you bid on it? That is most definitly what I would have done. Matter of fact I am going to look at on monday that is listed on ebay about 7 miles from me. If all looks semi decent I may commence to biddin on it. You have a cheap family lawyer that can help. Take care
It isn't worth what I paid for it when you factor in the damage to the basement. The house is several states away from where I was living. My husband was actually on his way back from a trip out here to see a different house when I found the one on Ebay. My position was that it was a stick built house and as long as the foundation was solid enough, the roof wasn't leaking, we could rehab the rest of it if we had to. We had the option they said to go see it although they didn't live in the same town.

If the basement walls were block, a repair would be thinkable. They are part concrete over rock and part brick. I had a problem basement in the past with block walls and it was possible to dig the walls out, pull the blocks back out, set something in the yard to hold them out so they didn't cave back in (sorry forgot what that's called) and reset them. I only with that was possible here.

Good luck to you!

Old 10-31-2010, 10:59 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
So you committed to an house you never saw in person with no contingencies and no inspections? I don't know your recourse but I suggest speaking to an attorney and reviewing ebay policies.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:32 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
So you committed to an house you never saw in person with no contingencies and no inspections? I don't know your recourse but I suggest speaking to an attorney and reviewing ebay policies.
Absolute dittos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals