Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,961 times

Advertisements

I currently have my house listed as a short sale for the past 10 months. We had an offer come in 5 months ago, but the bank requested $6,000 more than what the buyers were willling to pay, so they walked. We put our house back on the market at the bank approved amount, had another offer at that amount, but our realtor declined that offer without even tellilng us about it first because he said he didn't think they were qualified to put down more money if the bank requested that. Turns out those buyers are now in escrow for the house (REO) across the street which is listed over $20K more than ours. Our realtor seemed very ambitious in the beginning of our listing, but now complains how hard short sales are and doesn't return phone calls.

My question is, if we change realtors now, will we have to start the short sale approval with the bank all over again or can a new realtor just take over from here? Here's our details: over 200 days on market, already approved once with bank on first offer, HAFA approved. I feel that time is running out and we really don't want to foreclose, but also that our realtor is just letting it go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 12:57 PM

15,586 posts, read 40,472,737 times
Your real estate agent can't decline an offer on your behalf. That is illegal. They have to present all offers to their clients.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:12 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,564,135 times
How could the Realtor "decline" the offer? Did the potential buyer refuse to put an offer in writing, or did the Realtor refuse to get the offer in writing? All offers must be in writing in order to be considered serious and be presented to the sellers, and "earnest money" must be tendered; verbal offers don't count.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:55 PM

40,955 posts, read 49,248,569 times
Can you talk to the agents broker / office manager and request a more aggressive agent ? Explain the situation about the lost offer and they should (maybe) let you change agents or release you to another company.

Did you sign a 12 month listing agreement ?

Old 12-14-2010, 09:57 PM

40 posts, read 124,869 times
In North Carolina earnest money isn't required to make a contract binding. Consideration is required to make a binding agreement. A purchase price can be labeled as consideration. So many people think that an earnest is required, in fact an earnest is standard for the real estate agent to suggestion to their clients before listing. Once the agent paints the picture it's best to get an earnest money deposit so the seller doesn't waste their time, then to sellers that makes sense.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteMazyck View Post
In North Carolina earnest money isn't required to make a contract binding. Consideration is required to make a binding agreement. A purchase price can be labeled as consideration. So many people think that an earnest is required, in fact an earnest is standard for the real estate agent to suggestion to their clients before listing. Once the agent paints the picture it's best to get an earnest money deposit so the seller doesn't waste their time, then to sellers that makes sense.
We are the same way here. The offer price is the consideration. You can have zero earnest money here too.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:35 AM

43,343 posts, read 77,209,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteMazyck View Post
There is disagreement at high levels in North Carolina on the EMD issue, and I suspect we will have further definition in the next year or so, due to renovation of the Offer to Purchase and Contract.
The Executive Director of the NC Real Estate Commission, Miriam Baer, also an attorney, has publicly clearly articulated her opinion that a contract without EMD or Due Diligence Fee is illusory.

I expect my clients will give up at least nominal EMD or Due Diligence Fee with the new Offer to Purchase and Contract coming up 1/1/11, and will not be the test pilots in a courtroom.

Of course, the OP of this topic withheld their location, so mention of North Carolina is moot, and likely OT.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:57 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,452,690 times
Default While inn some cases changing estate agents can throw things for a loop...

...I think there must be more to this story. If the place. Across the street from the OP is $20k nicer and the prospective buyers knew that then almost certainly were capable of making the kind of offer needed by the bank.

If it turns oit that the agent has NO ENTHUSIAMS for the hassles with your short sale you need a new agent.

(btw you don"t need to be an attorney to understand that "the offer price" is something with zero value either intrinsically or otherwise and this cannot be consideration. I hope that North Carolina and any other states with ridiculous standard for real estate realize that making it too easy for folks to make ridiculous offers help no one....)

Old 12-15-2010, 07:36 AM

43,343 posts, read 77,209,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
...I think there must be more to this story. If the place. Across the street from the OP is $20k nicer and the prospective buyers knew that then almost certainly were capable of making the kind of offer needed by the bank.

If it turns oit that the agent has NO ENTHUSIAMS for the hassles with your short sale you need a new agent.

(btw you don"t need to be an attorney to understand that "the offer price" is something with zero value either intrinsically or otherwise and this cannot be consideration. I hope that North Carolina and any other states with ridiculous standard for real estate realize that making it too easy for folks to make ridiculous offers help no one....)
Chet,
It should be easy to make ridiculous offers everywhere.
Just as it should be easy to refuse, negotiate, or accept such offers. Anything else is an abridgement of freedom that I wouldn't support.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

You should be able to make a stupid offer, legally. One doesn't accept stupid offers though. It is rare here to get an offer without earnest money and I have had one, in 7 years, come across my desk. Clearly, no seller will accept that, but I'm not sure that we want to legally require earnest money in a contract. That is between the parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals