Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 04:15 PM

15,606 posts, read 40,546,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
While we (AZ) are not as bad as CA for forms, we also have a market advisory disclosure form .

Must be the heat getting to you guys down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 06:55 PM

40,991 posts, read 49,359,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
LOL Just because the minimum amount of pages to construct an offer is 39, doesn't make us insane. Oh wait, yes it does! When I first started, the purchase agreement was one 8 1/2 by 14 and you had to press hard to make the 6th copy legible.
I'll bet you even knew how to use an IBM Selectric Typewriter and used MLS books.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:53 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,353,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I'll bet you even knew how to use an IBM Selectric Typewriter and used MLS books.
LOL we actually had one of the first "smart" typewriters which had a buffer of 128 characters. Later we upgraded to one of the first (hold your breath now) word processors!

Our MLS had the books and optionally 5x7 cards. Man did we kill a lot of trees back then.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:24 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,314,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
LOL we actually had one of the first "smart" typewriters which had a buffer of 128 characters. Later we upgraded to one of the first (hold your breath now) word processors!

Our MLS had the books and optionally 5x7 cards. Man did we kill a lot of trees back then.
And the trees you save by not having the books and cards go to the 39-page offers.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:02 PM

143 posts, read 432,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Some of them make over $100,000 for a sale. It is beyond me why they think anyone should pay those fees when many people don't earn that in a year.
There is a LOT more that goes into that job than people realize. That's why the attrition rate is so high for Realtors - many people think it is easy money. And of course if the job is easy AND you make a lot of money, why wouldn't everyone get their license?

Oh, that's right. They do!!

Old 02-13-2011, 06:11 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,445,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisainCali View Post
There is a LOT more that goes into that job than people realize. That's why the attrition rate is so high for Realtors - many people think it is easy money. And of course if the job is easy AND you make a lot of money, why wouldn't everyone get their license?

Oh, that's right. They do!!
Exactly! For every person that makes a good living, there are probably 100 that try but can't. A good Realtor is worth their weight in gold. Usually the people that complain about how much we make on high dollar listings aren't the ones that actually buy or sell that level of home. My million dollar clients don't bat an eye at my fees and gladly pay it, because they're usually very seasoned in real estate and understand my value.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:13 PM

1,086 posts, read 1,952,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Exactly! For every person that makes a good living, there are probably 100 that try but can't. A good Realtor is worth their weight in gold. Usually the people that complain about how much we make on high dollar listings aren't the ones that actually buy or sell that level of home. My million dollar clients don't bat an eye at my fees and gladly pay it, because they're usually very seasoned in real estate and understand my value.
^^^Problem is that your average buyers are not million dollar clients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
i have never found the buying/selling of a house as complicated as you have described in your posts-

a price is agreed-closing time agreed-real estate attorney handles the details with other sides attorney-
^^^I totally agree with amyla,

@Lisaincali yer blowing hot air hare,. . .risks, codes of ethics, fiduciary responsibility, yadayada etc, code of ethics is not regulated, thus not enforceable, the system is flawed, truth is, most people do not pursue legal action against realtors/agents because litigation costs and the time is not worth the pursuit/trouble as wrongdoings and shenanigans are difficult to prove unless there is fraud or gross negligence, either way, good luck with that.

Only reason realtors/agents are still in business is because of their strong hold on the MLS, ie, NAR has a very powerful lobbying group on capitol hill.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:15 PM

52 posts, read 176,072 times
The Flat Fee listing broker is a sign to other " selling agents" that they may not have much help on the transaction, and that the selling agent will have to learn to work directly with the owners/sellers. As seller, just be sure that you are up to date on laws in your state, and that you allow for inspections as required in your jurisdiction. ( ie Lead Paint if house was built before 1978, or Radon, etc. etc) You should be able to get additional services even if you pay $500 or 1% from a broker to work on your behalf, since the other agent involved will legally be working for the Buyer

Old 02-14-2011, 04:33 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,500,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post

@Lisaincali yer blowing hot air hare,. . .risks, codes of ethics, fiduciary responsibility, yadayada etc, code of ethics is not regulated, thus not enforceable, the system is flawed, truth is, most people do not pursue legal action against realtors/agents because litigation costs and the time is not worth the pursuit/trouble as wrongdoings and shenanigans are difficult to prove unless there is fraud or gross negligence, either way, good luck with that.

Only reason realtors/agents are still in business is because of their strong hold on the MLS, ie, NAR has a very powerful lobbying group on capitol hill.
Excuse me, but who do you think creates the MLS? Who pays for it, and who gathers the information that goes in it?

You? Didn't think so.

Suppose the MLS was, oh, I don't know, a book written by many people - a collection of short stories, gathered and published, with the people doing the writing also paying for the publishing. Would you then say that the authors had a stranglehold on the book if they didn't give it away free?

Or suppose you, yourself, have a job that involves creating one of the tools of your job - work product, that would be. Would you have a stranglehold on it if you weren't giving away your work product for free just because someone who had no part in producing it wanted you to give it to them for free?

This kind of thinking boggles the mind, in part because I would be willing to bet good money that if the tables were turned and the person with that attitude were on the receiving end, they'd be outraged - OUTRAGED, I tell you! - at the very idea that they should work for free.

And, yes, the attrition rate in real estate is incredibly high, because people make a LOT of assumptions based on nothing about how much money agents make and how little work is required. So they get their license, and lo and behold, they didn't know what they were talking about and can't survive even a year!

Old 02-14-2011, 05:39 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,445,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post

Please! We always hear about how the internet is going to put us all out of business. But it never does. My clients know what I do for them and what I'm worth. We don't need random posters to agree with us or even care. This profession wouldn't exist if it wasn't one that folks needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals