Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 10:04 PM

631 posts, read 2,445,438 times

Advertisements

Small town, mountain land, water is hit and miss as the norm.
50' wells, deep wells or no water. Could move over 100' and hit water.
System is usually underground streams.
Older subdivisions done before hydrology studies were required for developers.

We operate as transaction brokers. Inform buyers and sellers so they can make their own educated decision what to do. We write additionally in our listings they agree we can disclose anything we want to as long as it's legal.
The reason, we usually know more about their land, changes, area than the sellers who usually live out of state and might not have seen their land in years or even ever.

The well drillers wife thinks she's a water witcher and they won't drill until she ck's out the lot. Some people want a lot witched before they buy it.
Not often does this happen, but now our second time on this.

The 1st time, she told my customer, there is a stream, but, ohhhh, very little and weak. Lady didn't buy the lot. The next person, I mentioned this to, same lot, so she wanted it witched. She called a diff. witcher, and he said, there is a stream, Yep, there's water! They bought the lot.

Now a year later, we had an offer on a lot contingent upons the witchers opinion. We gave them 2 numbers. They met the well drillers wife; the lot under contract she said no to water, yes to 2 other lots. They cancelled their offer, and are writing a new offer on a lot she suggested there was water.

The question is: Now that our lot is tainted by her opinion, would you disclose this to new customers you show the lot to now?
"The lot is beautiful, however, the well drillers wife says there's no water on it."

Nothing says we Have to disclose it, probably by law for the seller should not disclose it. Thinking further down the road... Folks buy the lot, later call for the well, and the well drillers wife says, Oh Yeah, I already witched that one with the broker. We told here there wasn't any water there! Her people didn't buy it because of that. I find even if people don't believe in witchers, if it's negative news, they would tend to think there's something to it.

Thinking on it further writing this, should probably warn sellers of the consequences of a negative report. They may not be agreeable to such a thing taking a chance of tainting their lot.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 11:59 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,977 times
Wow. Really?

Is he the only well digger you can use?

What would happen if you got another witcher who could give a positive review of the lot for your seller? Then you can educate prospective buyers using the other lot you mentioned as an example (one opinion yes, one opinion no), as well as your current listing.

The thought that is going through my mind: is the witching wife licensed in the state of New Mexico? How would a court view her opinion if your seller finds out about a sale that falls through because of your sharing her findings?

Interesting situation!

Old 08-21-2007, 04:36 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,230,359 times
Isn't there a more, ummm, scientific method of determining the presence of water? Some kind of geological survey or something? As a buyer I would be more inclined to base my decision on something slightly more technical. And I am sure I would want that kind of survey done prior to closing.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:51 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,896,079 times
Oh, Evey, you flatlander you. Trust me, there are people who really believe in this and there are people who I have seen been able to tell you exactly where to drill or where a buried water pipe/tank is with nothing and I mean nothing giving any indication.
So. Since it's an accepted type of practice in your area, you have to disclose because it negatively effects the value of the property. What I would do is get another 'witchers' report and leave it up to the buyer to make the decision.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:34 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,003,525 times
Following the thinking that you have to disclose what a witcher says wouldn't you also have to disclose if a psychic came and said something negative about the property? Witching, while it may or may not work is not accepted science by any means and I personally wouldn't allow one on a property if it could "sour" future deals.
We have those here as well since our water can go from 30 feet to over 300 feet (or none at all) and move anywhere around the lot. I would try and find a hydrologists report on the area and rely on that since if you are taken to court THAT is what will be used for evidence, not some witcher. Could you imagine putting that person on the stand? The investigation of the divining rods?
I'm chuckling just thinking about the questions that would be asked and the probable answers...

Old 08-21-2007, 06:34 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,726,552 times
Since when does superstition and "wive's tales" become a business practice. What if the say UFO's visit the site regularly?

Old 08-21-2007, 07:48 AM

428 posts, read 2,439,970 times
Thank heaven for this board....I can imagine myself having to ask this to my broker. He'd keel over.
keeperk, I'd get a 2nd opinion.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:24 AM

1,174 posts, read 6,943,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Since when does superstition and "wive's tales" become a business practice.
It already has in some places. I posted about this, oh maybe a few weeks ago. When we sold our house in SoCal, the latest disclosure form asked if our house was haunted. In my book that fits right in the superstition and "wive's tales" catagories, but we still had to disclose whether we believed in such a thing or not.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:19 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,786,813 times
I don't believe in any of this...dowsers, ghosts etc. However, the (legal) issue (I'm not an attorney, as I never tire of saying) MIGHT be whether the thing to be disclosed (the dowser's opinion, for instance) might, if commonly known, create a stigma. And that's an entirely different question - and one we skeptics should pay attention to, no?

What does the attorney on retainer with you state association of Realtors say, Keeperk?

Old 08-21-2007, 09:25 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,849,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Since when does superstition and "wive's tales" become a business practice. What if the say UFO's visit the site regularly?
In some states, you do have to disclose to a potential buyer if the sellers think the house is haunted, which very much fits with superstitions.

I must be a flatlander too. I've NEVER heard of a "water witcher". But, since it sounds like "geographical custom" to have your land witched for water in your area, then I would say get a second opinion and provide both opinions to any potential buyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals