Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 07:41 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times

Advertisements

You absolutely CAN sell it without being there at each showing - it's done all the time quite successfully. Your marketing, the information you can provide to the buyer's agents through your MLS and broker's opens and talking it up in your office and online marketing and the myriad of tools that are available to agents these days mean that you can sell it to a LOT more people without ever attending a single showing. The information about the area, the house, the age of the roof, etc., can easily be provided in a "house book" that contains that information and includes whatever seller's disclosure is required in your area. If the sellers have lived in the house for a long time, or perhaps even built it, sometimes they can even include information about the house that doesn't fit in the usual forms. If the seller has had a pre-inspection and made repairs, that can be included a long with evidence of the repairs that were done. I've found that when a listing agent is present for the showing, the buyers get out of that house as fast as they possibly can - the listing agent's presence tends to UNsell the house, not sell it, especially if the listing agent insists on interacting with the buyers who are there with THEIR agent. If a house book is there, they will tend to stay longer than at other houses, perusing the book, garnering information, and subtly becoming comfortable in the house.

And any listing agent should know that being comfortable in the house is critical to a buyer giving it serious consideration. Anything, ANYTHING, that makes a buyer uncomfortable in a house, even if it's not related to the house itself but it simply the seller or listing agent being present, works against the sale because the house has to overcome that emotional impression.

As far as seller's expectations and thinking you're not working, part of your job is to educate the seller and set those expectations realistically. Your job is to MARKET the house properly to get the buyers' agents to bring their clients to view the house, after THEY (the sellers) have prepared the house for those showings following your directions, as a professional, on how that needs to be done to make it as appealing as possible (not the least of which is proper pricing). There's plenty of work to be done that doesn't include spending all your time running to your various listings to attend the showings (which means that you're NOT doing the other critical work, and means that some buyers are not going to see their house because your schedules can't be coordinated.

Do buyers in your area only see one or two houses a day, or do they do some sort of zigzag, back and forth route to accommodate the schedules of the various listing agents who must be at the showings?

As I said, if a listing agent must be at a showing, for most houses in my area (which is to say, the less than a million dollar houses), that house is more than likely going to be struck off the list as "hard to show". (And trust me, the buyers who may be sellers in future are noting that AND their discomfort with the listing agent's presence - this isn't my impression, this is based on what buyers have told me themselves after leaving the house.)

Your area may vary, or the houses that any buyer might be interested in might be all within a few blocks of each other so that playing the scheduling game isn't such an issue, but that's how it is here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 09:00 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You absolutely CAN sell it without being there at each showing - it's done all the time quite successfully. Your marketing, the information you can provide to the buyer's agents through your MLS and broker's opens and talking it up in your office and online marketing and the myriad of tools that are available to agents these days mean that you can sell it to a LOT more people without ever attending a single showing. The information about the area, the house, the age of the roof, etc., can easily be provided in a "house book" that contains that information and includes whatever seller's disclosure is required in your area. If the sellers have lived in the house for a long time, or perhaps even built it, sometimes they can even include information about the house that doesn't fit in the usual forms. If the seller has had a pre-inspection and made repairs, that can be included a long with evidence of the repairs that were done. I've found that when a listing agent is present for the showing, the buyers get out of that house as fast as they possibly can - the listing agent's presence tends to UNsell the house, not sell it, especially if the listing agent insists on interacting with the buyers who are there with THEIR agent. If a house book is there, they will tend to stay longer than at other houses, perusing the book, garnering information, and subtly becoming comfortable in the house.

And any listing agent should know that being comfortable in the house is critical to a buyer giving it serious consideration. Anything, ANYTHING, that makes a buyer uncomfortable in a house, even if it's not related to the house itself but it simply the seller or listing agent being present, works against the sale because the house has to overcome that emotional impression.

As far as seller's expectations and thinking you're not working, part of your job is to educate the seller and set those expectations realistically. Your job is to MARKET the house properly to get the buyers' agents to bring their clients to view the house, after THEY (the sellers) have prepared the house for those showings following your directions, as a professional, on how that needs to be done to make it as appealing as possible (not the least of which is proper pricing). There's plenty of work to be done that doesn't include spending all your time running to your various listings to attend the showings (which means that you're NOT doing the other critical work, and means that some buyers are not going to see their house because your schedules can't be coordinated.

Do buyers in your area only see one or two houses a day, or do they do some sort of zigzag, back and forth route to accommodate the schedules of the various listing agents who must be at the showings?

As I said, if a listing agent must be at a showing, for most houses in my area (which is to say, the less than a million dollar houses), that house is more than likely going to be struck off the list as "hard to show". (And trust me, the buyers who may be sellers in future are noting that AND their discomfort with the listing agent's presence - this isn't my impression, this is based on what buyers have told me themselves after leaving the house.)

Your area may vary, or the houses that any buyer might be interested in might be all within a few blocks of each other so that playing the scheduling game isn't such an issue, but that's how it is here.
Trust me, when I am the listing agent, I am doing all the marketing you mention plus I'm marketing the property at each showing. It helps I've seen it happen. As for making people uncomfortable at a showing, it's never happened with me. If you hire a bad agent to market your house likely they'll drape themselves on a buyer like a cheap suite and make them uncomfortable. A good agent knows when to be very active in the showing and when to back off. Also, having the listing agent present is the local custom and expected so people are not surprised or uncomfortable when it happens. Local expectations are the big difference. People do house booklets all the time. Most buyers I've worked with don't even read them because they get so much information at the showing. Not only that but if they don't like what they see they thrown them in the trash/back seat of their car immediately. I've had it happen quite often that someone will say something negative about a home becaues of a lack of understanding or knowledge and I've been there to correct the misconception and those have been the people who have ended up buying the house. If I weren't there anything I wrote down on a piece of paper likely would have been thrown in the trash.

As far as the convenience a lock box adds . . . yes that is certainly an advantage. However, if you're striking a house off the list simply because it's a "hard" show then you're not doing your job for your buyers. I know if I were in your buyer's shoes and found out you scratched off a house that would have been great for me just because it would have added 10 minutes to our house tour I would be very unhappy with you. Buyers in this area do sometimes have to zig-zag a little to see all the houses on their list but none of them seem to mind at all. While it would be great to be able to hit all the houses in a sensical manner it's just so minor to most people. Buyers just want a house that works for them. They don't care if it takes an extra 10 minutes added to the process to get it.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:20 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
I'm not the one striking a house off a list because it's hard to show. I never strike a house off a list - not my job, my job is to tell the buyers what I know about the house as it pertains to their wants and needs. >I'm THEIR agent, not vice versa.

It's the buyers who decide that if they're going to have to completely work their own schedule (not mine, theirs) around the listing agent's convenience that they'd just as soon look at another of the houses in the list of possible choices unless the house in question has something extraordinarily outstanding that makes it worth the hassle. Now I work primarily with relocation buyers who are moving into the area and trying to get a lot accomplished in a set number of days, and someone else's convenience, especially a listing agent's, is not high on their list of priorities, especially when it's practically unheard of here for a listing agent to insist on being present at the showings. They're looking to make the most efficient use of their limited time, and that can make them bump a house off the list short of it appearing to be absolutely perfect.

My record for a relocation client was 37 properties in 5 counties in 3-1/2 days. Not interested in doing that again, wasn't really interested in doing it then except it was an unusual situation. Military relocation, flew in to look at houses, found out on the way that he was being sent BACK to Iraq right away and we needed to find her a home and get her settled so he wouldn't have to worry about that while he was over there. Got it done, but if we'd had to make appointments with listing agents so they could "sell" the house, it wouldn't have happened.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
My record for a relocation client was 37 properties in 5 counties in 3-1/2 days. Not interested in doing that again, wasn't really interested in doing it then except it was an unusual situation. Military relocation, flew in to look at houses, found out on the way that he was being sent BACK to Iraq right away and we needed to find her a home and get her settled so he wouldn't have to worry about that while he was over there. Got it done, but if we'd had to make appointments with listing agents so they could "sell" the house, it wouldn't have happened.
I've dealt with a lot of relos myself and I've certainly had my share of 10 showing (sometimes more) days with those clients. I've done this even though all the showings were accompanied.

I noticed you said this was across "5 counties" which I think is a big difference between where you are and where I am. I don't know anyone who covers an area that large around here. Most of the agents I know barely leave town let alone cover 5 counties. I got some weird looks once when I told some other agents I was working with a buyer looking in Lexington which is only 16 miles away from here. Basically what I'm saying is my showings are probably geographically less spread apart.

Anyway, in my experience, being there to sell the house helps get it sold. 99% of the time when I call for an appointment I get the time I want if not I find another time. It's rarely a big deal or an inconvenience.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:06 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,600,605 times
I can only imagine that the buyers were irritated. When something similar happens to me, I usually say, "It's not the house's fault. Can we try again later?"

There is little more irritating to me than to have a listing agent present at a buyer showing. Especially when they walk into a small room such as a bath and in front of the buyers, turn and exclaim, "This is the bathroom." DUH!

Old 01-30-2012, 07:56 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
This makes no sense. A buyer has their own agent. Their agent represents them. Buyers don't feel they get more value having a listing agent breathing down their necks. Most buyers feel uncomfortable with a listing agent or seller there because they can't talk freely while walking the house.

As a listing agent, you represent the seller. As a buyer's agent, you represent the buyer. The buyer doesn't care about a listing agent showing the seller that they can run out and unlock a door at whim. Sorry, but I have more pressing appointments to tend to than to show a house to a buyer who already has representation. Lockboxes are smart, not lazy.
Ditto, I hate someone breathing down my neck trying to "sell" the house during showings. It's more distracting than helpful most times. I have a keypad, just let me show the home and be on my way.

When I'm the listing agent, I trust the buyer agent to do the job. No reason to interfere with their process.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:01 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,086,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Ditto, I hate someone breathing down my neck trying to "sell" the house during showings. It's more distracting than helpful most times. I have a keypad, just let me show the home and be on my way.

When I'm the listing agent, I trust the buyer agent to do the job. No reason to interfere with their process.
Double ditto

I also show multiple homes in a day and cannot imagine what a nightmare it would be to schedule with the LA there to shadow and grant me access. Also, can LA send me an email the following day for feedback rather than call me as soon as they think I have left the house with my clients? I don't particularly like it when the LA calls for feedback just as I am putting the key back in the lockbox

Old 01-30-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
I can only imagine that the buyers were irritated. When something similar happens to me, I usually say, "It's not the house's fault. Can we try again later?"

There is little more irritating to me than to have a listing agent present at a buyer showing. Especially when they walk into a small room such as a bath and in front of the buyers, turn and exclaim, "This is the bathroom." DUH!
That's a great example of someone who doesn't know how to sell a home during a showing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post

If you were present during some of these showings and listened to the things the buyers agents are actually saying you wouldn't be so trusting.

Bottom line is you can get a house sold with or without a lock box.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:38 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
If you were present during some of these showings and listened to the things the buyers agents are actually saying you wouldn't be so trusting.

Bottom line is you can get a house sold with or without a lock box.
First, I'd tell you we didn't need you following us around. Second, that's between their buyer and them regardless.

Third, yes you can sell a home with or without a lockbox. I prefer with because it's the easiest way for agents to access the property. I'm all about generating the most showings possible and here that's with a LB. If your market is different and you're successful kudos. I'm just telling you that that it wouldn't go over well in my market because it isn't done that way here except perhaps on really high end homes.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:36 PM

4 posts, read 5,101 times
Bumping a sort of old thread here but wanted to respond to the listing agent being present.

I'm recently house hunting for the first time and I have found an agent I like so I'm comfortable with her. Anyway, the one time when a listing agent was there I totally felt uncomfortable and kind of felt like I couldn't openly say things that I normally would have. (I know I could say whatever but it did shut me down) For the most part it's mostly lockboxes that I've seen so that' good.

I could only imagine the actual seller being there. Yeesh that would be a nightmare for me haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals