Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 06:03 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times

Advertisements

We are opening a second office. If you had a chance to plan the perfect physical office, please share your thoughts about the office you would enjoy. Do you use your office often, if so, how often? What are the important assets of the office would you look for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 04:16 PM

36 posts, read 110,326 times
Open space!!!!

Old 04-09-2012, 05:41 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
I don't work from home, am in the office 5 days a week. To me I want:
1-Private office, 10x10 or bigger (I have my 2 assistants crammed into a 9x9 with me and that extra sf would be good.)
2-Multiple small conference rooms for meeting clients, preferably with a flat screen I can hook into with my laptop or iPad for presentations and scrolling through MLS with buyers.
3-Larger conference room for office meetings.
4-Printer/scanner in a copy room
5-kitchen
6-prime visible location

Old 04-10-2012, 01:38 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
As a client at any professional office, I am judging you on whether or not you have good art and a comfortable, tastefully decorated waiting/reception area.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:09 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times
A Virtual Office.

• All agent forms stored online.
  • Transaction Management Program to accommodate all agent transactions.
  • Transaction coordinator makes sure all agents transactions are proceeding on time, and that all paperwork is correct before broker reviews them.
  • Commission check go directly from title company to agent.
  • Agent never has to go to broker office.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
A Virtual Office.

• All agent forms stored online.
  • Transaction Management Program to accommodate all agent transactions.
  • Transaction coordinator makes sure all agents transactions are proceeding on time, and that all paperwork is correct before broker reviews them.
  • Commission check go directly from title company to agent.
  • Agent never has to go to broker office.
Captain Bill, would you never want to go to the office although evidence is now coming forward that agents who frequent (not live) the office have higher productivity?

Old 04-15-2012, 05:31 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Captain Bill, would you never want to go to the office although evidence is now coming forward that agents who frequent (not live) the office have higher productivity?
No, I'm very happy. When I was with Remax I only went to the office to pick up my checks. I was never comfortable with the idea of paying $200 for a cubby hole where I had no privacy, and couldn't have anything there but my laptop; and people around me talking. Nor was I willing to pay $500+ for a 7x7 office with a door that I would need to leave open for ventilation.

I can be much more productive at my own home office where I have my desk top computer, fast scanner, printer, stationary, etc; just everything I need, plus privacy.

I can start work when I get up at 4am, without getting dressed up, and I can work as late as I want to, plus have some time during the day to do some things for my wife.

A title company that I use has a large room with some smaller open side rooms with a supra lock box that virtual agents can go to for free if they want to work in that environment. I can't see why I would want to go there to work when I have my own office and don't have to go outside my home. If I wanted to network, that would be a reason to go there, but then I wouldn't get work done, other than networking.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:38 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
We are opening a second office. If you had a chance to plan the perfect physical office, please share your thoughts about the office you would enjoy. Do you use your office often, if so, how often? What are the important assets of the office would you look for?
I would place the restrooms at the end of a long hallway (preferably with a door at the other end) so that if your desk is in close proximity to the toilet you don't have smell other people's stinky poos.

Same goes for the kitchen. Nothing worse than trying to stick to a diet and having to smell lasagna being cooked in the microwave. Having food smells in the office also makes me think of a cheap motel where you can always smell what the managers had for dinner. (not that I have been in that many cheap hotels. LOL).

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-16-2012, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
No, I'm very happy. When I was with Remax I only went to the office to pick up my checks. I was never comfortable with the idea of paying $200 for a cubby hole where I had no privacy, and couldn't have anything there but my laptop; and people around me talking. Nor was I willing to pay $500+ for a 7x7 office with a door that I would need to leave open for ventilation.

I can be much more productive at my own home office where I have my desk top computer, fast scanner, printer, stationary, etc; just everything I need, plus privacy.

I can start work when I get up at 4am, without getting dressed up, and I can work as late as I want to, plus have some time during the day to do some things for my wife.

A title company that I use has a large room with some smaller open side rooms with a supra lock box that virtual agents can go to for free if they want to work in that environment. I can't see why I would want to go there to work when I have my own office and don't have to go outside my home. If I wanted to network, that would be a reason to go there, but then I wouldn't get work done, other than networking.
Captain, this likely should go to another thread, but that is where most people such as you and me agree. If you work better from home, then do it! However, the statistics are beginning to prove that home officed Realtors just don't offset their savings.

Our office model wants to acknowledge folks such as you, but give agents a very inviting environment where synergy can grow and reward.

The RE/MAX model lends itself to what you suggested about agents getting their commission check cut by the title service. Unfortunately, most state laws require the title company to pay the broker first.

At our office in Louisville KY, we are working hard to allow the agents to take full advantage of the RE/MAX brand and tools, but stay very true to the RE/MAX trademark, "In business for yourself, but never by yourself.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I would place the restrooms at the end of a long hallway (preferably with a door at the other end) so that if your desk is in close proximity to the toilet you don't have smell other people's stinky poos.

Same goes for the kitchen. Nothing worse than trying to stick to a diet and having to smell lasagna being cooked in the microwave. Having food smells in the office also makes me think of a cheap motel where you can always smell what the managers had for dinner. (not that I have been in that many cheap hotels. LOL).

20yrsinBranson
YEAH!!! A wise set of suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals