Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 11:39 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times

Advertisements

Architects and builders compute sf from the inside of the house. Appraisers hang the tape on the outside.

Zillow hangs itself without any help from anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 03:54 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default My appraisal was inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Architects and builders compute sf from the inside of the house. Appraisers hang the tape on the outside.
I have had 2 appraisals done and in both cases they measured from the inside.
The guy walked around with a laser and measured every room.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:10 AM

145 posts, read 361,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I have had 2 appraisals done and in both cases they measured from the inside.
The guy walked around with a laser and measured every room.
Not saying you are wrong about what you saw, but maybe you are wrong about what you assumed was going on. When Appraisers measure inside, it is for floor plan purposes and for measuring sections that help them determine exterior measurements, too (offsets...strange things... inaccessibility...) Appraisers measure square footage from the outside. Then they often take interior measurements for floor planning. I was an Appraiser before I became an Agent. In GA though...perhaps there are regions that do it differently. So, yeah, you saw them measure inside. Did you not see them measure outside, too? Maybe they did and you just did not see them. Maybe they were lazy and did it wrong, using interior only? Or, maybe they measured inside (for any number of reasons) and added the thickness of the walls, to get their final number. I have done that when I needed to. For condos, most I know/knew use interior measurements only.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:17 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default I think you are right

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideATLCindy View Post
Not saying you are wrong about what you saw, but maybe you are wrong about what you assumed was going on.
The Building Permit Plans show 1848 sqft.
The appraiser said 1923.
The MLS listing said 1900.

It appears that you are correct and I was wrong.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:21 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times
Square footage is a big deal here in Atlanta. 10+ years ago a realtor/broker was sued by the buyer because the square foot measure listed on the MLS was incorrect. The house was actually smaller than the MLS listed. The buyer won the lawsuit. After that, for many years NO square footage was listed at all. This made it very difficult when we purchased our home because it was hard to compare houses we viewed. We could only guess which home was the largest for the money. It is only very recently that some realtors now list the sq. ft. Certain developers do not.

The bad part for me is that Zillow uses the tax records to list the square footage. I don't know if realtors here depend upon their own measurements or not. Given that lawsuit years ago, perhaps they would be leery of listing the sq. ft. measure they computed themselves.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:12 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Zillow relies on tax records. Check your county records. If actual square footage is greater than the municipal records and you correct it, your property tax bill will increase.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:16 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Square footage is a big deal here in Atlanta. 10+ years ago a realtor/broker was sued by the buyer because the square foot measure listed on the MLS was incorrect. The house was actually smaller than the MLS listed. The buyer won the lawsuit. After that, for many years NO square footage was listed at all. This made it very difficult when we purchased our home because it was hard to compare houses we viewed. We could only guess which home was the largest for the money. It is only very recently that some realtors now list the sq. ft. Certain developers do not.

The bad part for me is that Zillow uses the tax records to list the square footage. I don't know if realtors here depend upon their own measurements or not. Given that lawsuit years ago, perhaps they would be leery of listing the sq. ft. measure they computed themselves.

Square footage is not a mandatory field in my MLS. I do not know of any Realtors who measure and populate the field. Some use tax records ( not always accurate) and make the source of the measurement clear to avoid liability.

A survey is usually required to close. They measure exterior walls and subtract for the garage, if attached.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:24 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Our local MLS does not post the square footage, liability issues, I guess. Having done some work with the county, I would never trust those measurements, just grab a tape and do it yourself.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:31 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,528 times
Zillow and Trulia both often have tons of incorrect information on their sites. Square footage is just one example.

Just the other day though I saw two identical homes - same exact floor plan -same builder - one as 2600 SF the other as 4200 SF.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:05 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson View Post
Zillow and Trulia both often have tons of incorrect information on their sites. Square footage is just one example.

Just the other day though I saw two identical homes - same exact floor plan -same builder - one as 2600 SF the other as 4200 SF.
But if a buyer was looking for a 4,200 sq. ft. house, they probably wouldn't have looked at the home listed as 2,600 sq. ft. That's what worries me about selling my home, which is listed as being much smaller than it actually is. Hopefully, whoever looks at the house will be guided by their agent and that agent will be familiar with our neighborhood and the size of the homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals